1988 lowered 2wd sport truck build

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

14 hours ago, 89 MJ said:

Love the color. Is it just rattlecanned?

Thank you. 

Actually painted out of a gun. I’m no professional, but I think it turned out alright. Posting some pics of the front end put back on this evening. I did a 97+ front clip. 

13 hours ago, onebigmj said:

Love the look of the truck, can’t wait to see the finished product.  How do you like the ride and handling with the suspension setup? 

In my very limited time driving it so far it seems pretty decent. Very responsive turn-in and doesn’t ride like it’s on bricks. I’m waiting on the addco front and rear swaybar upgrades to be built. But that should really increase the handling. 

Once I finish putting it all back together I plan to do much more testing on the suspension and see what it can handle. 

• 3 weeks later...

Been a few weeks but finally made some progress. Got it most of the way put back together. I just have to finish up some interior stuff and sand some but it should be cruising this upcoming week. 

4F08D87A-94AD-46C9-85CE-6D2B1808008A.jpeg

311D915A-1A2A-42A0-B5A8-51A5F326FB70.jpeg

14 hours ago, onebigmj said:

I love it. Doing a roll pan or bumper or just running it as is? 

If I can find a roll pan that would fit with minimal work then I’ll do that. As it is now though I kind of like the no bumper look. 

14 minutes ago, JMO413 said:

Love what you've done with it! :L:

Thank you. Hopefully I get some ambition here in the near future and I can lower it another 2 inch front and back. That will take some extensive modification though. Notching the front axle beam and in the rear it needs 4 link and coilovers. Hopefully in the next few months. 

23 minutes ago, trick34 said:

Hopefully I get some ambition here in the near future and I can lower it another 2 inch front and back. That will take some extensive modification though. Notching the front axle beam and in the rear it needs 4 link and coilovers. Hopefully in the next few months. 

Can't wait to see this! Your truck is exactly what I want my second MJ to be! One lifted and one lowered!

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

I have been super busy over the last few months but I’m looking into something that could, if doable, really turn this truck into something fun. I originally set out to build a truck that would be unique and push my own building abilities. What I’m proposing is using a crown Vic front independent suspension and installing it onto the stock unibody. This would require widening the unibody in the wheel wells so that it could be bolted in. If your familiar with the crown Vic front end you would understand what I mean. This is done on 70s f150s pretty commonly now. 

I was was able to source a 2001 Cherokee that is 2wd to experiment on. I will hopefully be able to start on this in the coming weeks and will post along the way. 

Any thoughts apart from the traditional “but why” comments?

7 hours ago, 89 MJ said:

Why not just buy a universal Mustang 2 front suspension?

I definitely wouldn’t be opposed to this. My initial concern would be cost. I know that most of the diy kits run around $1000-$2000. That originally scared me off but having a completely customizable starting point might be a better option. I will look into this a bit more. 

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...