old Jeeps are fun!

Pete M

hurray for sarcasm!  (or is it facetiousness?)  anywho, it turns out the Libby was overheating on the mountain passes because the efan wasn't coming on.  brought back memories of the last time when it was even hotter and I was pulling even more weight up the same hills in Tennessee (that time it was the fan rusted up solid).  I can get it to come on if I bypass the relay so I think I'll just use one of my offroad lights' switch/relay spots to trigger it manually for the return trip in a couple weeks.  Later on maybe I try to figure out why it's not being triggered (not for overheating, not for AC).  or maybe not since it only becomes an issue on steep inclines pulling weight while it's hot out.  meh.  My Libby is famous for amassing problems that I can ignore.  I like to tell people I'm just trying to collect all the lights on the dash.  :D   I'm up to 7 now (plus the AWD light that doesn't come on even though it should be on). 

yay for old Jeeps! :D 

Old Jeeps ARE fun.  And the older, the better.  Even the Comanche feels pretty plush compared to my 1970's postal!  That postal was bought for a toy and became my daily driver for ten years or so.  The more basic they are, the bigger smile they put on your face.

16 hours ago, amsuco said:

Old Jeeps ARE fun.  And the older, the better.  Even the Comanche feels pretty plush compared to my 1970's postal!  That postal was bought for a toy and became my daily driver for ten years or so.  The more basic they are, the bigger smile they put on your face.

Do u have pic of ur postal jeep? I have always want postal jeep! Love the rear door with logo JEEP.

1 hour ago, DDJeep89 said:

I agree too. Most of my family, friends and co-workers make fun of me because I choose not to own a vehicle newer and 1997. Simple is satisfying! 

Amen! Most of my co-workers make fun of me that becuause everyone have large size truck and newer. But i got more smile on my face than anyone at my work lol

On ‎4‎/‎27‎/‎2019 at 1:56 PM, MJXJjeepguy said:

Do u have pic of ur postal jeep? I have always want postal jeep! Love the rear door with logo JEEP.

I have two.  One is a mid '70's with the more robust drive train (258, 727, D44) and the other from the early '80's has a good body and frame (from Texas).  Rust has claimed one and the cats have laid claim to the other.  I'm still holding on to the dream that someday I can get the two combined.  Right now the situation is so sad that I don't even want to include a picture of them.  However...you mentioned the rear doors.  I've seen those come in two "flavors" so far.  One says "Jeep" and the other "AM General".  I don't know if the difference is because of the year they were made, or if it was for another reason.  I figured if I ran the Jeep version, I can always point out to some Wrangler owner that what I have is his ride's grand-daddy.  On the other hand, the AM General version would allow me to have a little fun with some yuppie in their H3.  It's a tough call.

SANY0012.JPG

SANY0015.JPG

• 2 weeks later...
On 4/30/2019 at 11:40 PM, amsuco said:

I have two.  One is a mid '70's with the more robust drive train (258, 727, D44) and the other from the early '80's has a good body and frame (from Texas).  Rust has claimed one and the cats have laid claim to the other.  I'm still holding on to the dream that someday I can get the two combined.  Right now the situation is so sad that I don't even want to include a picture of them.  However...you mentioned the rear doors.  I've seen those come in two "flavors" so far.  One says "Jeep" and the other "AM General".  I don't know if the difference is because of the year they were made, or if it was for another reason.  I figured if I ran the Jeep version, I can always point out to some Wrangler owner that what I have is his ride's grand-daddy.  On the other hand, the AM General version would allow me to have a little fun with some yuppie in their H3.  It's a tough call.

I have been followed his news in google news feed it really interested to watch his build on DJ i will try find the original from start to now this is newest one.

https://jalopnik.com/my-500-two-wheel-drive-postal-jeep-was-a-beast-off-roa-1834493056/amp

Yes there is more on same guy same DJ if u scroll all way down u will see more story from buy it to build to finish.

A little story about me why I interested and have soft spot on DJ well bec it badass look, love large Jeep logo on back door, and uncommon. About few years I spotted DJ parked far back behind a barn at some old guy property and we were talk about the DJ and it do have title!! So after talk about buying he want sell for 1000 for and it pretty really bad shape but i know it rare almost impossible to find other one so i offer him 800 he seem accept i told him i will bring cash the next day, now his change his mind and said well I'm going build it one day, I was so mad but i keep my self cool and left, he is like 80 years old huh let it go!! Oh well hope i can find other one in one day!

8 hours ago, MJXJjeepguy said:

I have been followed his news in google news feed it really interested to watch his build on DJ i will try find the original from start to now this is newest one.

https://jalopnik.com/my-500-two-wheel-drive-postal-jeep-was-a-beast-off-roa-1834493056/amp

Fellow CC member kryptronic just recently clued me in to that as well.  It's fun reading!  

I still see the DJ's coming up for sale on eBay every so often, although I haven't seen anything locally for years now.  When the postal service was phasing them out, you could buy them for cheap directly from them.  But somewhere along they way, some idiot decided that they were too dangerous for us.  (Very similar to how the CJ-5 was taken off the market.)  From that point on, the postal service just had them crushed.  Hearing that had me feeling the same way...crushed.