1988 MJ Olympic Edition

Where to begin? This is my 1988 Comanche Olympic Edition. Has the straight six with what I think is the BA10. 

MJside.png.4e6f5373fd6536f26021ec50a91ad426.png

It is pretty ruff looking. The PO was a hard smoker. So the interior was pretty much layered in tobacco tar. I had to wipe it down with ammonia to remove it off the dash, steering wheel, doors, etc.. The truck is pretty much rust free. Ive not seen any cancer yet. There was a little rust on the passengers side floor. Easy fix and then painted it with Rust-oleum. The carpet was actually that vinyl floor padding. It wasn't to bad other than having crap all over it and rips, holes worn in it, etc. so in the trash it goes. 

MJdash.png.e7b9dcbe314decaf198ff5aea318be2f.png

I prefer using a bench seat. However this bench seat was nasty. It smelled and had stuff spelt on it with food and who knows what else. And yes it was covered in cigarette smoker and tar. I wasn't about to trash the seat. I need to use it until I can either reupholster it, source out another bench seat from a salvage yard ( dodge, chevy, ford, etc..). So I broke the seat down. I removed all the seat covers. The back of the seat was actually incased in a plastic bag. No rips or tears. That saved the back cushion. It looked new and did not smell. The lower cushion was another story. I placed the top and bottom seat covers in the washing machine set on sterilize. I did the same to the bottom cushion. Its still worn but I can fix that my glueing foam and poly batting. Not going to worry about covering the foam with plastic. Here are photos after being washed. I haven't put the bottom together yet. BTW the foam you see under the seats back is it resting on the foam bottom. 

MJtopseat.png.324729d09dfcd20c65315786eb93632f.png

MJbottomseat.png.a5eb9c5274ada47084d9c1732553e3f4.png

More than likely a 4 inch lift and 31's. The transmission needs to be upgraded too an AX15. I also intend to convert to a 4wd using a late model XJ. Try to gain the best rear axle for hauling stuff and towing an eight foot trailer with furniture and what ever else. Will also use late model front end, convert to the late model dash, replace the fabric on the bench seat or see if I can upgrade to something better. I like a darker interior like black. For me this is just a truck. Not even weekend warrior. Not to say I won't ever be going Off-Road. Just not crawling or anything heavy. I want to maybe paint the truck blue. But another color like the ford super duty blue jean paint.  I do want to have good quality parts. 

When the time comes I'm thinking about converting over to the Cummins R2.8 inline four. Yes I'm a diesel head. The engines around 8K. Comes with everything for the engine. 

https://www.cummins.com/engines/repower

I'm one of those people that collect all the parts and items for the conversions, upgrades, mods, etc... then when ready I take a few days and put it all together. This gives me time to properly plan and source out the best parts. 

• 4 weeks later...

I’m still thinking things through. There are a few smaller goals that will eventually meet the end goal. A decent MJ, medium duty work truck, that’s well thought out and pieced together. A four inch lift that will remain spring under axle. I’ve been wanting to do a TDI project forever. About ten years ago I did buy a Sami for a TDI project. But my b@tch of a wife seemed to always screw things up. SATAN with fracking skin. Now she’s a b@tch of an ex-wife.

First on my bucket list are sourcing a Dana 30 and Chrysler 8.25. It’s a medium duty work truck so I figure the Dana 30 is fine. I want to convert over to the WJ knuckles, brakes, etc.. Aim for better steering geometry. That’s kinda what’s on my table for now. 

And as always I appreciate any positive feedback. 

don't forget the dual booster upgrade.  :D  probably one of the best upgrades you can do.  should be a couple threads for that in the link in my sig. 

There are some diesel conversion threads in Epic Tech. 

tech questions from the OP should really go in the Tech forum so more eyes will see them. :L:  Not everyone peruses the build threads on a regular basis.

When I bought this truck it was in sad condition. It's still in sad shape. I bought a lot of other things with it as well. But I only paid fifty bucks for the truck its self. article-2359456-1ABE884C000005DC-532_634x449.jpg.297fc4b3e42db4ff3b46d165344f8596.jpg

2 hours ago, Raven said:

When I bought this truck it was in sad condition. It's still in sad shape. I bought a lot of other things with it as well. But I only paid fifty bucks for the truck its self. article-2359456-1ABE884C000005DC-532_634x449.jpg.297fc4b3e42db4ff3b46d165344f8596.jpg

Five-0 bucks!!?? :confused:

• 1 month later...

I bought a set of wheels last week for 100 dollars. These are a bit bigger than what came off the truck. 

I also recently purchased an 1998 XJ Limited Ed. for a reasonable price with new tires. 

IMG_2267.HEIC.jpeg

FullSizeRender.jpeg

4 hours ago, Raven said:

I bought a set of wheels last week for 100 dollars. These are a bit bigger than what came off the truck. 

I also recently purchased an 1998 XJ Limited Ed. for a reasonable price with new tires. 

What kind tranfer case in XJ? I have same plan to my MJ going to swap 4x4 from 98 XJ with 242 TC.

Ive not checked. I'm going to guess its an NP231 as I know its not a 242. . This has an AW4 that I'm not going to use. More than likely I will pull the engine and transmission together and place it in storage. 

• 3 weeks later...

Today for 50 dollars I picked up some Bilstein 5100's and 5125's. Bought a three core all metal radiator that's steel and not aluminum for $15.

Four Pro Comp Bump Stops for $175. Two Pro Comp coils (3" lift). A set of Q-tec rear leaf springs (that I won't be using). And a lifted rear shackle. I was just after the coils but the whole set was 40 dollars. I grabbed a few other things but these are the things I wanted. 

0-4.jpeg.b9b6e32ca4257b425029d1cc20f17f20.jpeg0-3.jpeg.93b98f3df3031b523500658858fbda9d.jpeg0-2.jpeg.adbc37c384c4cd43ff0c196919ed3491.jpeg

Here is what she looks like after the new doors, fenders, hood, and grill.  

0-1.jpeg

0.jpeg

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 3 months later...

Sorry for the late update.... but I'm still working on it... life gets in the way at times. But here is what I have to date.

MJ- The complete doors, fenders, and interior from the B pillar forward is pulled. The wiring harness is pulled. The cab is now an empty shell.

1998 XJ. Same thing here. And I will be using the 4.0, AW4 and 424 in the MJ. 

Thats where I am for now. 

• 1 year later...

I’m back on the Jeep project. Lots of changes over the past two years as COVID’s screwed up everything. I Picked up a couple axles. A Dana30 and Dana35. Both have superior axles, ARB air lockers, and other goodies. The Chrysler 8.25 will be pulled out now. Bummer as I did have the axle tubes cleaned up and new perches welded on to fit the MJ. I also bought a Diesel engine so it’s going diesel now.