1988 MJ Olympic Edition

• 3 weeks later...

I’m an oil burner… 😁

I did everything for the 97-2001 interior. I’m not using the AW4. I still have the 1998 OEM steering wheel with the brake pedal only. I’m now using a manual transmission. Need to little help on the best most cost effective way to convert the automatic stuff over to a manual. 

Coverting from auto in means of dash harnesses or engine harness? You be using a obd 2 setup with that 98 I wanna say....:shhh:.... I maybe can help, maybe., :confused: I did just convert mine back from auto to manual again, put i just don't put most things back. :teehee:

56 minutes ago, MiNi Beast said:

Coverting from auto in means of dash harnesses or engine harness? You be using a obd 2 setup with that 98 I wanna say....:shhh:.... I maybe can help, maybe., :confused: I did just convert mine back from auto to manual again, put i just don't put most things back. :teehee:

So can I just remove that automatic transmission brake pedal and put back an MJ manual transmission setup? I’d like to keep the steering wheel. 

Being I’ve started the diesel conversion I’m no longer in need of the majority of the wiring harness. I don’t need the instrument cluster as I’m going with a modified one. Anything else I can make my own wiring harness with the 1998 fuse boxes and have extra fuses for systems i add. 

the big thing right now is getting it back to a clutch and brake pedal setup. 

Mine had the stock bracketing and only needed a pedel added for clutch and swapped out auto pedal for smaller pedel. The provision was there to add one which also dropped the pedal for the clutch. You have a different era though and could possible make it work if your a handy fabricator. :brows:

1 minute ago, MiNi Beast said:

Mine had the stock bracketing and only needed a pedel added for clutch and swapped out auto pedal for smaller pedel. The provision was there to add one which also dropped the pedal for the clutch. You have a different era though and could possible make it work if your a handy fabricator. :brows:

So maybe I can remove the big brake pedal and replace it with the smaller one used with manual transmission and add the clutch pedal? 

3 minutes ago, MiNi Beast said:

They build rat rods out of washers surly tou can add a clutch and brake pedal setup with a coal burner swap. :D

Yes I could but I’d like the bolt on factory parts for this interior. 

So I bought a Mercedes’ OM617 N/A engine for fifty bucks. It’s pretty clean with about 120K. I’m in the process of breaking it down and mic’ing everything out. 

In the meantime a friend of the family had an 1979 240D with the OM616 and manual four speed. The PO is one of those guys that is very well off and owns only Mercedes’ diesels. The motor had already been professionally gone through as well as the entire drivetrain. It was 1 degree F outside the other day. Started up and ran great. He gave the car to one of my sons friends who didn’t have any transportation. That guy decided to sale it for 3500. I bought it for 700. That will be the engine going into my MJ. After I get the OM617 done I will swap it out. Then later an OM617 Turbodiesel.