I am searching for axles

I found a set of axles. Dana 30 and 35 already pulled for $150 obo. My MJ is a 2wd and I want to do the conversion. Is this a good deal? Can I use the rear axle I currently have for the conversion and just buy the front axle if the gearing is the same or am I better off getting both. I am not going to be wheeling just need 4x4 for hunting. 

Secondly does an XJ hitch fit on an MJ?

thanks

2wd axles have a regular bearing, not a unit bearing and if I remember right the outer race comes already pressed into the rotor.  plus the 4wd brakes changed at some point in time so you'll definitely want to know the year of the XJ. :L: 

3 hours ago, rylee144 said:

I'm tracking now. In the photo there are no front brake components and I would need some things.

That XJ looks to be about a '94 model. Brakes will be the same from about '92 through at least '95......those axles are in that range. 

Yes, you will need some things. 

Unit bearings, U-joints, fluid change, bushings, rotors, calipers, control arms. 

You have a choice, go through the axles and do them right BEFORE you install and be a happy camper..........or.....................

I do things right the first time, I'm not one of those guys who slaps someone else's junk on my truck and then scratch my @$$ trying to figure out what went wrong. 

Clean those up, new bearings, new brakes, new joints.........paint. 

You'll be a happy camper too. :wink:

If you're going through the hassle of swapping Id look for 97-99 axles. Dana 35 isnt even a useful boat anchor. The D30 will have the bigger u joints and the 8.25 is a great axle. You can swaps on to disc or you can find one out of a KJ. 

The vac disco is mostly moot.  I prefer not to have it, but it doesn't matter.

Later axles are better in that the wear parts are more plentiful and cost less.  But it doesn't matter that much.  Regardless of what you pick up, it will likely need new bearings, seals, etc, so you will be in it for a bit.

If I was you I'd look for a later HPD30 and 29 spline Chrysler 8.25.  Plenty strong for what you're doing, and if they're from the same donor it's easy to remember what you need to ask for when buying wear parts.

19 hours ago, gilbos440rt said:

Are cherokees like the TJ's in that most of the 4 cly came with 4.10's setup in the axles?

New to the XJ/MJ's so trying to get up to speed

Yes. Only major difference is mounting, TJ's are coils we are leafs. 

20 hours ago, gilbos440rt said:

Are cherokees like the TJ's in that most of the 4 cly came with 4.10's setup in the axles?

New to the XJ/MJ's so trying to get up to speed

rules of thumb:

2.5L + 5speed manual = 4.10s

2.5L + 4speed manual = 3.55s

always verify before buying :L: