Value of Parts and to Whom

Jeep Driver

I don't want to piss in someone's sale ad..........so...........

Member is selling a pair of axles, D35 an D30, 308 gears, member is asking $125 for both. Axles are undesirable. However-

'87 to '89 knuckles are getting near impossible to find, anyone wanting a "big brake" upgrade must have these knuckles. These are the only Jeep knuckles with removable caliper/pad mounts. 

These knuckles alone are worth $125.

2 years ago now I paid $100 for a similar axle but had to drive from Knoxville to Charlotte to get it. I would have gladly paid $150 plus shipping for the knuckles alone. 

Same regarding a 2.5 engine and related parts that someone was giving away because he thought the parts were worthless......those part are not worthless, member was willing to give away about $500++

Yes, it takes a little effort to break parts down for shipping, shipping is effort, and for the trouble you should be rewarded. 

Know what you have, know what it's worth, and to whom it should be marketed. People need parts, people are willing to pay a fair price for what they need. 

I frequent pic-a-part type yards for parts for myself, and to resell to offset my cost.  I'm always trying to learn more about desirable parts, but didn't know about the knuckles.

There are threads out there about junkyard upgrades for Cherokees/Comanches.

I can remember seeing several threads here along the lines of "I have this old XJ, what should I grab before junking it"...

Do we have (or need) a definitive thread on these valuable parts?

In a couple weeks I'll be back in michigan and it looks like I'll finally be forced to get rid of that 96 XJ that is guarding my grandma's house (there's no garage and no way to even fake that no one currently lives there).  I'm stripping it of everything I can while still leaving it capable of being towed away.  :D  (it's 2wd with a dana 35 so I'm willing to make that sacrifice)

It might not be me you're referencing, but I'm giving away a complete 2.5 that still has all the accesories hanging on it.  Not because I don't know the value of it, it just no longer has any value to me.  At one time it did, but that time has long since passed.  I'd rather someone who needs it, especially if they might be low on funds, gets it and uses it.  I got it for free from a NAXJA member years ago, so I'm just paying it forward.  The only caveat is that whoever wants/needs it has to go pick it up.  It's sitting in an outbuilding on the family farm up in southwestern PA.

Funny how some people can be like that, ya know?

I once had an XJ towed off my lot without a front axle under it. 

Its funny. 2wd Jeeps previously were undesirable. But now they all seem to be in better shape than the 4x4s. And it makes sense... Less salt because they aren't out being driven in garbage weather, they're not being taken offroad, etc. People are swapping them all to 4x4 because they're in good shape, and soon there won't be many 2wds left that weren't deliberately left 2wd. No one bothers hanging onto the undesirable 2wd components, the people who have a 2wd are going to start struggling to find them. I just went through this trying to find brake parts for my base MJ at Napa. The two rotors came from different places. Inner and outer bearings came from different places. The grease seals were unobtainium through their normal channels and I ended up having to pay shipping to the store for them. 

Ditto on base-model ZJ stuff. Trim panels without holes for buttons? Nah. 231 shifter bezel? Nah. No one wanted it, it all got tossed, now it's desireable to a select few people, and almost unobtainable. And that's not even considering the manual transmission stuff. 

17 hours ago, Pete M said:

when in doubt, put all the little things in a large USPS box and ship them to me and I'll take care of the paying it forward part. :L:  don't ship the block though, unless you really want to.  :crazy:

That's funny!! 

I was cleaning out the parts shed yesterday and though "I wonder if I should ship some of this to Pete?"