Belt squeaks...

What would cause this?

Belt started squeaking at random, so I threw a new belt at it. It was gone for the first 20miles of driving... then all of a sudden it's back, with a vengeance... louder then ever. So I started playing with it.

70mph.

A/c on would quiet it down but not take it away entirely.

A/c back off just as loud, to be slightly different.

Clutch in, (neutral gear) no noise.

In gear noise returns.

Next day. <GONE> what...?

Sounded like idler or a/c bearing dying? Am I right?

Unfortunately for whatever was making the noise it was 9pm and I had 80miles to drive. So no auto stores to stop at and replace pulley. 

Thoughts?

What brand of belt did you put on? I had the forever screeching belt noise. I had replaced the idler pulley, then the fan clutch because it had gone bad, then installed a JY a/c compressor to get my a/c going again. Was hoping one of those was the culprit.......nope. Tightened it up a good bit as the consensus is 4.0L belts need to be above avg tight. A little better but did not eliminate it, then eventually back to really annoying and loud. Had a shop I trust spend some time with it, said he couldn't find anything wrong and suggested we try to putting a Gates belt instead of the Dayco that was put on there @1yr ago when the fan clutch was replaced at another shop. I also heard a "Gatorback" belt worked for many people so I got one off ebay. Anyhoo, I had the shop put the Gates on and other than an occasional squeal at startup, it's been quiet ever since and @1500+ miles of driving. Still got the Gatorback belt to try if the squealing comes back with a vengeance. 

13 hours ago, jdog said:

Sounds like the throw out bearing if it goes away with the clutch in.

No its belt or bearing, got it to squeal in neutral pushing the throttle from the throttlebody parked.

11 hours ago, WahooSteeler said:

What brand of belt did you put on?

https://m.autozone.com/cooling-heating-and-climate-control/belt/continental-serp-belt/940146_0_8397

No fan clutch on this one. All e-fans.

1 hour ago, kryptronic said:

Spray water on the belt when squeaking.  If the squeaking stops, it's either a bad belt, or pulleys are out of alignment causing slippage, or both.

Squealing has mysteriously vanished or I'd test it.

I think I'm still going to replace the idler.

• 1 month later...

So, reviving this with more mystery.

It only squeaks after it's been running, warmed up. Engine turned off and back on a few mins later, IE: pump gas or go into a store come out and crank it back up. Squealing with throttle only, clutch position irrelevant (tried it)

Could it simply just be too tight or loose? Why is it only after restarting the engine?

Thoughts? 

Edit: replaced idler already.

20 minutes ago, Wounded_Fighter said:

Relatively inexpensive part. (Fires part cannon)

The rubber dries out and gets hard, the pulley will turn on the hub causing the squealing sound you hear. 

If you have not narrowed it down to a bearing...........it's the balancer. 

Common problem. 

You are standing in front of your Jeep/engine, you diagnose............no cannon involved. 

7 hours ago, Jeep Driver said:

You are standing in front of your Jeep/engine, you diagnose............no cannon involved. 

Figured idler or a/c since it seemed like it was the ac bearing, replaced idler already, balancer will be part no.2 

But yes, you are correct. That all makes sense.

On 5/12/2019 at 6:09 PM, gogmorgo said:

I've also had the harmonic balancer fail in such a way it caused the belt to start sawing through the timing cover, which made a pretty good noise. The rubber was coming apart and shifting inwards.

Yep. That was happening on an XJ I bought at the beginning of the year.....the harmonic balancer pulley (metal) was also cutting into the timing cover. Owner was spraying silicone spray on the belt to make the sound go away.

Three good smacks with the palm of your hand at the end of a long breaker. 

If you've bottomed out the balancer and smack it good..........it ain't going anywhere. 

60lbs is your answer but you'll need a positive stop at the flywheel/flexplate. 

Just a heads up, you'll want to use a longer bolt than the factory one to pull it on, or at least get it started. The factory bolt will only have a couple threads engaged at best when you start it, and you don't want to risk stripping out the crank. I'm 99% sure it's a 1/2-20 (national fine thread) bolt but confirm that before jamming any old thing in there. I've got a parts store steering wheel puller that I was able to rig up as a pusher because the thread matches.

16 hours ago, gogmorgo said:

Just a heads up, you'll want to use a longer bolt than the factory one to pull it on, or at least get it started. The factory bolt will only have a couple threads engaged at best when you start it, and you don't want to risk stripping out the crank. I'm 99% sure it's a 1/2-20 (national fine thread) bolt but confirm that before jamming any old thing in there. I've got a parts store steering wheel puller that I was able to rig up as a pusher because the thread matches.

I went ahead with the autozone installer. Didn't see your comment. But no with starting it I couldn't even reach the hole with the bolt to try haha.

So far no belt noise. Or pully noise.