Cast iron strength

I am working on a bracket that will relocate the alternator to the position of the A/C compressor. The a/c compressor will be slung under the alternator.

I'm concerned about breaking the cast iron bosses off the block where the bracket will mount.

I plan on using the three bolts that form a triangle on the front passenger side of the engine. See pic.

I'm pretty confident the 3, 5/16 bolts will be just fine, I just worried that the brittle cast iron bosses will break off with to much bouncing and jarring.

I expect the bracket alone to weigh 10-15lbs was going to use 1/4in mild steel plate.

Then the a/c and alternator together will add another 10lbs, I think.

The bracket will be roughly sideways T or L shaped with little bracing due to space constraints.

This is not my block BTW, just the best pic I could find. My block has two more threaded bosses below and to the rear of the bottom circled bolt.

20190315_010822.jpg

Those bosses look inherently stronger than the motor mount bosses, and I'm sure the motor mount bolts impart much more load on the mounting bosees.

BTW -- where'd you get a photo of a 4.2L block?

Look at that bracket on a YJ.  The alternator mounts under it, and the a/c compressor is on top.  Just like what you're doing, but with the accessories inverted.  If Jeep did it from the factory, I'd say the block is plenty strong enough for your application.

20180106_103532.jpg

On 3/15/2019 at 1:32 AM, Eagle said:

Those bosses look inherently stronger than the motor mount bosses, and I'm sure the motor mount bolts impart much more load on the mounting bosees.

BTW -- where'd you get a photo of a 4.2L block?

Forgot to answer your question.

I just googled images for "jeep 4.0 block."

7 hours ago, ftpiercecracker1 said:

Forgot to answer your question.

I just googled images for "jeep 4.0 block."

So much for Google.

The engine in that photo has a mount for a mechanical fuel pump, so it's not a 4.0L.

If you were to come up with a good bracket to mount the alternator where the compressor is, then I would probably buy one from you eventually. I want to get rid of my compressor in general and have the alternator up top. My AC doesn't work and all that's left of the system is the compressor.

4 hours ago, Knucklehead97 said:

If you were to come up with a good bracket to mount the alternator where the compressor is, then I would probably buy one from you eventually. I want to get rid of my compressor in general and have the alternator up top. My AC doesn't work and all that's left of the system is the compressor.

bypass it and remove the compressor, mine didn´t came with one...