What else should I do while it's apart?

So I tore the engine bay apart in my 92 to replace a bunch of stuff.  

New parts:

- Exhaust manifold

- Brass freeze plugs

- Water pump and thermostat

- Valve cover gasket

- Radiator

If I can get the parts to delete the AC compressor and mechanical fan I will high mount the alternator and get a shorter serp belt but that's depending on if I can find the parts before reassembling the truck over the next couple of weeks.

I'm torn on if I want to pull the head or not.. I plan on putting a turbo on this truck in the next year or so, so it would be a good time to upgrade the gasket however the truck only has 177k miles and runs fantastic so it doesn't really need replaced right now and I've seen some turbo 4.0 running on factory head gaskets.  What is your opinion on it?

I also want to get your guys opinions on what else I should do while I'm this far in.  I can't really think of much else so maybe someone will think of something.

IMG_20190302_153442.jpg

Are you running the stock down pipe? CC member JeepPapa did a lot of work helping me with a Walker brand replacement on my '91. The nuts on bolts to the cat flange were totally rusted on and a few had to be cut off.

I really like the sound it makes now with the Banks exhaust manifold I put in as well. Not sure what the requirements of installing a turbo will do to the whole exhaust set up, so maybe you have other plans already?

29 minutes ago, bluenotenick said:

Are you running the stock down pipe?

Not sure what the requirements of installing a turbo will do to the whole exhaust set up, so maybe you have other plans already?

I'm not sure if it's the stock down pipe or not.  The entire exhaust looks like it came from a different vehicle because it doesn't have the correct bends and doesn't run where it's supposed to.  After the engine bay is put back together I'm going to cut the exhaust apart and rebuild it properly and I have a flowmaster super 44 to go on it so it should sound pretty good.  

As far as the turbo setup goes, I'm thinking it would be easiest to run it on the passenger side roughly where the alternator currently sits or relocate the battery to where the airbox sits for even more space.  My thoughts there is that the exhaust setup would be easy since it's all right there, the intake air can be taken from there and then sent through an intercooler under the bumper and up to the intake behind the power steering pump.  This setup is of course totally up in the air yet but that's where my head's at right now.  

IMG_20190302_163143.jpg

34 minutes ago, bluenotenick said:

That motor mount is super accessible right now too. If they need it, now could be the time.

I didn't even think of that.  The driver's side does have a crack in the rubber so I may just do that. Thanks!

2 hours ago, bluenotenick said:

That motor mount is super accessible right now too. If they need it, now could be the time.

Yup.  I was thinking the same thing.   

And also do do the oil filter adapter o-rings while u r at it.

48 minutes ago, AZJeff said:

Side bar--from my XJ days, I was unaware of any way to do a "bolt in" alternator relocation by removing the AC compressor.  Anything you do would be "custom engineering"

Yes it will be all custom.  I'll probably weld together a bracket for the alternator and then bolt that to the compressor bracket after cutting the unnecessary bits off.

51 minutes ago, AZJeff said:

And also do do the oil filter adapter o-rings while u r at it.

That's a good idea.  I was looking for a reason to take that side of the engine apart so I can clean the entire engine bay and repair rust and repaint.

Right hand drive Cherokees use a high mount alternator on the pass side.  I have one of these brackets but haven't test fitted it.  No idea if there are differences with the Renix engine that would prevent its use, or if Renix Jeeps were ever available RHD.

image.png.0bd3fa3879d6b3a7b38ac88eb58d31de.png

does the 92 already have the later model adapter to allow for the bigger oil filter?

have you upgraded your brake booster yet?

have you run through all of Cruiser's applicable MJ tips?  grounds in particular.

headlight relays?

3 hours ago, Pete M said:

does the 92 already have the later model adapter to allow for the bigger oil filter?

have you upgraded your brake booster yet?

have you run through all of Cruiser's applicable MJ tips?  grounds in particular.

headlight relays?

I didn't know there were different size oil filters used on the 4.0.  It's got the same filter as my 95XJ and 97+MJ so maybe?  I don't like that the adapter makes the filter sit upright though.  I'll read up on this.

Brake booster upgrade is done and all lines were replaced.  Grounds we're all redone and I've run through most of Cruiser's tips but I'll read through and make sure I didn't miss any that apply to me.  Headlight relay harness is done as well. 

If I decide to do the head gasket I will probably drop the oil pan as well and reseal the bottom end since the top would have all new seals at that point.  I'm just reading conflicting info on what head gaskets are good and withstand boost on the 4.0 without being too strong that hard parts break first.  It almost sounds like the stock gasket is the best bet.  

I am picking up some good scrub brushes, degreasers, and a similar color red paint so I can clean up the engine bay.  I've decided since it's going to be a street truck, I'm going to try to keep it relatively clean.