Cleaned engine/bay now won’t start

So I purchased a 88 Comanche 4.0 auto 2wd short bed pioneer in great shape. Has 266k miles so as you can imagine, the motor had quite a bit of oil residue. Sprayed the engine and bay with degreaser and hosed it down. Now she turns over but doesn’t start up and run. I’m very mechanically incline. Mainly with boats and anything to do with commercial fishing. I don’t want to just dive right in and start tearing down things in possibly the wrong direction. I’ve checked Some of the electrical connections. Prior to all this. Before I bought the truck, it had sat for 8 months. Luckily it wasn’t full on old fuel. Was above empty and at the time of purchase, I put 5 gallons in and the following day, topped it off. Was on the way to do a few things to my boat, approaching a red light, she cuts off on me. It starts back up fine, turned around, and hit the auto parts store on the way home.

sorry for the novel but trying not to leave anything out. 

Any advice would be greatly appreciated 

Start simple.....remove a plug or use an extra plug ground it to the block....turn it over.....do you have spark?

Turn the key on.....without starting it....can you here the fuel pump turn on then off?

Answer those 2 questions and we can help from there....

Do you have the ceramic ballast resistor on the driver sidefender? If so, make sure you didn't knock a wire of it while cleaning or it simply may have went bad. You can by pass it with a jumper wire to check. If it is bad, it will turn over, kick but won't start. Mine went on my son's 88 Eliminator. We changed distributor cap, plugs, wires and were almost convinced it was the fuel pump. A friend who is a mechanic suggested bypassing the ceramic resistor and sure enough it took right off.

ballast resist.jpg

On 3/4/2019 at 3:49 PM, RangerDB said:

Do you have the ceramic ballast resistor on the driver sidefender? If so, make sure you didn't knock a wire of it while cleaning or it simply may have went bad. You can by pass it with a jumper wire to check. If it is bad, it will turn over, kick but won't start. Mine went on my son's 88 Eliminator. We changed distributor cap, plugs, wires and were almost convinced it was the fuel pump. A friend who is a mechanic suggested bypassing the ceramic resistor and sure enough it took right off.

ballast resist.jpg

Is this resistor absolutely a must have or can you simply run a jumper?

7 minutes ago, RangerDB said:

You can run a jumper, but I believe it prevents too much voltage going to the distributor. They aren't very expensive, it would probably be better to have it in the circuit.

Fuel pump, not distributor.

He can bypass it.