Really rare

jdog

Wow, AMC even came back from the dead to write this 1994 Comanche manual! :laugh:

Very interesting that it's been made into a hardback, I haven't seen them like that before. I bet that would survive a whole lot better on a shelf than the crappy softback ones. I hardly use my '91 FSM set and they're coming apart. If I had an 86 I'd buy it just for that.

I just don't think the MJ we know and love would ever have gotten a v8 option. :(  Maybe if it shared the Dak platform (meaning IFS) it really could have happened, but it would likely have continued with the XJ platform.  But even then the GC and Dak didn't get the magnum 360 until 98. 

don't worry though.  When I invent that time machine I'll go back and convince them to make a special edition 98 MJ with the 5.9L and the forever Mopar warranty. :D   How's that for a collectible Jeep :grinyes:

I just don't think the MJ we know and love would ever have gotten a v8 option.   Maybe if it shared the Dak platform (meaning IFS) it really could have happened, but it would likely have continued with the XJ platform.  But even then the GC and Dak didn't get the magnum 360 until 98. 

don't worry though.  When I invent that time machine I'll go back and convince them to make a special edition 98 MJ with the 5.9L and the forever Mopar warranty.    How's that for a collectible Jeep :grinyes:
Which is strange being Chrysler started installing v8 back in 93 I think. I think you are right tho and we probably would not have seen a v8. When you get that time machine going be sure to let me know.

16 hours ago, Pete M said:

I just don't think the MJ we know and love would ever have gotten a v8 option. :(  Maybe if it shared the Dak platform (meaning IFS) it really could have happened, but it would likely have continued with the XJ platform.  But even then the GC and Dak didn't get the magnum 360 until 98. 

don't worry though.  When I invent that time machine I'll go back and convince them to make a special edition 98 MJ with the 5.9L and the forever Mopar warranty. :D   How's that for a collectible Jeep :grinyes:

And that was the Chrysler 360, not the AMC 360. I would much prefer the AMC 360.

I've always wondered if AMC had a second-gen MJ in the works. 

AMC was pretty far along in ZJ development by the time Chrysler took over, and had intended it only to be a second generation XJ, not a new product line. We know Chrysler had no desire to build the MJ, given they had another vehicle in the segment that cost them less to build, and they could sell the XJ for a much higher dollar while the MJ took up spots on that line. The MJ's discontinuation coincides with the launch of the ZJ, and Chrysler was also looking at winding down XJ production. It's mostly a happy coincidence they were able to build the ZJ in a new plant, and that people were still buying the XJ. With nothing better to build on the XJ assembly line and it continuing to sell, the XJ kept on going.

So under Chrysler, the MJ had no chance at continuation. But I do wonder if there'd been consideration for a second generation MJ on the ZJ platform. Whether or not AMC recognized they were losing money by building MJs instead of XJs and didn't think it was worth continuing the light truck line or not. And I also wonder what a ZJ Comanche, an NJ if you will, might have looked like. Would it have the ZJ's rear links and coils, or given the need to redesign for more payload, if they'd have stuck with leaf springs? Would it have received the v8 option, maybe even with a manual? Would it still have the part-frame and bolt-on bed, or would they have just integrated it with the body?

attachment.php?attachmentid=1621578&stc=

As with any SUV there's been ZJ truck conversions, some better than others of course. I don't think they look half-bad... But all we can do at this point is wonder. 

8 hours ago, gogmorgo said:

I've always wondered if AMC had a second-gen MJ in the works. 

AMC was pretty far along in ZJ development by the time Chrysler took over, and had intended it only to be a second generation XJ, not a new product line. We know Chrysler had no desire to build the MJ, given they had another vehicle in the segment that cost them less to build, and they could sell the XJ for a much higher dollar while the MJ took up spots on that line. The MJ's discontinuation coincides with the launch of the ZJ, and Chrysler was also looking at winding down XJ production. It's mostly a happy coincidence they were able to build the ZJ in a new plant, and that people were still buying the XJ. With nothing better to build on the XJ assembly line and it continuing to sell, the XJ kept on going.

So under Chrysler, the MJ had no chance at continuation. But I do wonder if there'd been consideration for a second generation MJ on the ZJ platform. Whether or not AMC recognized they were losing money by building MJs instead of XJs and didn't think it was worth continuing the light truck line or not. And I also wonder what a ZJ Comanche, an NJ if you will, might have looked like. Would it have the ZJ's rear links and coils, or given the need to redesign for more payload, if they'd have stuck with leaf springs? Would it have received the v8 option, maybe even with a manual? Would it still have the part-frame and bolt-on bed, or would they have just integrated it with the body?

attachment.php?attachmentid=1621578&stc=

As with any SUV there's been ZJ truck conversions, some better than others of course. I don't think they look half-bad... But all we can do at this point is wonder. 

Again, just like the supposed new Gladiator, no real usable bed space there.  I do like the body lines more, and can't lie and say I'm not all tingly about that configuration with a 'niner under the hood (what a blast that would be to drive), but completely impractical for use as a pickup truck.

11 minutes ago, mjeff87 said:

Again, just like the supposed new Gladiator, no real usable bed space there.  I do like the body lines more, and can't lie and say I'm not all tingly about that configuration with a 'niner under the hood (what a blast that would be to drive), but completely impractical for use as a pickup truck.

Well clearly. That's just someone's chopped ZJ, not a concept of an actual truck built on the same chassis.