mjeff87

any Ford Focus owners here?

did you at least throw down a few layers of cardboard? 

Yeah, I have lots of cardboard plus old carpet scraps I use, but it's still a hard azz concrete floor lol.

The biggest PITA of the job is/was splicing in the new stuff to the old stuff at the rear end (the front is flanged, rusted up old bolts/nuts were no match for the air impact and snapped off just like I expected them to...and were replaced with new hardware).  The piping runs up/over the rear suspension and connects to a square resonator the size of a small microwave, then exits under the bumper.  I had to cut the old stuff out in three different pieces so I could get it all out, then figure out how to cut the new stuff and the forward inlet pipe on the resonator to duplicate the exact length so all the hangers lined up and the resonator and tailpipe didn't hit the body.  That took a few different attempts until I got it just right.  Here's a pic of the splice which really doesn't show just how crammed and inaccessible it was in that area.  And that's the only area of piping that's straight enough to add in a coupler, every other part of the piping is curved or has an exhaust hanger welded on.

Its done, it's quiet, I'm happy, and am not eager to ever make this repair again without a floor lift.  Lol.

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

And here's a shot of the old versus new stuff (see how I had to cut the old out in pieces.

Tecnically, I could have just cut the muffler out ala saws all and cobbled a new one in with some connectors and a bunch of clamps, but that whole new exhaust I got off of Advance Auto for about $65 and free shipping.  I had a few speed perks rewards $$$ to use up:beerchug:

image.jpeg

Hey,iv'e got one of those,and i replaced the exhaust system from the converter back too. common problem with them rotting out i guess. Mine spent some time in chicago by the way.

We have one of those rent a lift places here. Pretty good deal if your not a complete cheap @$$ like me.

Sent from my SM-S727VL using Tapatalk

1 hour ago, jeepsouth said:

Hey,iv'e got one of those,and i replaced the exhaust system from the converter back too. common problem with them rotting out i guess. Mine spent some time in chicago by the way.

I can't complain about it overall....it hums right along and I'm getting about 32 mpg in it, which is about double the mileage my KJ gets:laugh:  It us an economy car though, with all the lack of creature comforts/quiet ride that comes at that price point.  I'm only the second owner, it came from Georgia.  Most everything I've been replacing on it so far has been original parts (except for the fuel filter I put on last weekend, it was an aftermarket part).  I'm pretty confident that the exhaust was OEM too....it was all a single piece from the front flange back.  The only way to install it that way has to be from the factory, before the rear suspension was hung.  Not too shabby for 214K miles.

1 hour ago, whowey said:

We have one of those rent a lift places here. Pretty good deal if your not a complete cheap @$$ like me.

Sent from my SM-S727VL using Tapatalk

I don't think there's any places like that around me, sadly.:sad:

On 3/31/2019 at 9:42 PM, mjeff87 said:

I can't complain about it overall....it hums right along and I'm getting about 32 mpg in it, which is about double the mileage my KJ gets:laugh:  It us an economy car though, with all the lack of creature comforts/quiet ride that comes at that price point.  I'm only the second owner, it came from Georgia.  Most everything I've been replacing on it so far has been original parts (except for the fuel filter I put on last weekend, it was an aftermarket part).  I'm pretty confident that the exhaust was OEM too....it was all a single piece from the front flange back.  The only way to install it that way has to be from the factory, before the rear suspension was hung.  Not too shabby for 214K miles.

I don't think there's any places like that around me, sadly.:sad:

I hear you man ours runs pretty good too. I've replaced power window motors/cables,headlights ,and a few sensors. we only paid $1000.for it though. It's my sons car,he loves it.

Lol, that's about what I paid for mine too, bought it from a coworker.  I got it to fix up and give to a family member who's in a rough patch right now and needs a vehicle, but after spending a couple weeks on it fixing up all the little crap wrong with it, I've kind of gotten fond of it.  It just flat out runs, and gets as good mileage as my wife's '18 Subaru:laugh:. I don't really want to give it away.

Not for nothing, but I had to make an emergency trip up to north central PA on Monday for a funeral and decided to take the Focus instead of the Jeep.  I've been banging it around locally now for a couple months and have about 3K miles on it since buying it but have never really taken it on a roadtrip.  I was a bit gentle with it for the first hour or so of interstate driving, but it was humming along nicely so I decided to run the paint off of it.  770 miles, mostly all interstate, in about  24 hours (with a quick overnight stay at my brother's house) and it averaged about 35 mpg.  It is geared low ("southern car" LOL) and has aftermarket 16" wheels on it, and holds 3200 rpm @ 80 mph.  For comparison, my buddy's Jetta revs about 4100 @ 80.  It really did not like the mountains of PA and WV, I basically had to just keep it in 4th and feather the throttle to keep it around 70 mph.  If I tried to push it I ended up constantly shifting between 4th and 5th.  But, I was able to drop in in N once I crested the top of a mountain and freewheeled it the whole way down the other side @ idle speed doing about 80-ish.

Fun little car, and surprisingly not uncomfortable driving it 14 hours.  I'm finally taking it up to give to my brother over Memorial Day weekend.....:sad:

Well, sad to say but the Focus is gone.  I drove it up to my brother over the holiday weekend.  It's kind of bittersweet because the reason I picked it up in the first place was to give it to him.....but I didn't think I'd ever get to liking it so much LOL.

Time will tell if he's good to it and doesn't either blow it up (not really possible from all my testing:brows:) or he wraps it around a telephone pole.  I handed it off in top notch mechanical condition, so what will be will be I guess.  The only stipulation I gave him is that if he decides at some point to get rid of it for whatever reason, I have first right of refusal on it.  Heck, I just might go shopping for another one down here in the meanwhile:laugh:

I'm late to the focus story. Bummer. 

I'm the original owner of a 2000 Ford focus zx3. And a 2001 wagon. When I first bought the 2000, I drove it to Idaho and averaged 40 mpg if I stayed above 80 mph. Fun car.