swap a dana 44 from a zj to mj

I got a lead on a dana 44 with 3.73 gears  from a 99 grand cherokee to swap into my 88 mj.  how much of that it going to have to change the perches and shock mounts.  He only want $75 for it.

Suggestions and recommedations please.....

The ZJ and WJ guys seem to think the aluminum centred d44 is a beefy axle. Literally no one else does. Not many people have built ZJs, although they're getting a little more common. But yeah, like Pete said, the lug pattern doesn't match the MJ's. 

53 minutes ago, gogmorgo said:

The ZJ and WJ guys seem to think the aluminum centred d44 is a beefy axle. Literally no one else does. Not many people have built ZJs, although they're getting a little more common. But yeah, like Pete said, the lug pattern doesn't match the MJ's. 

I owned a '99 WJ with the aluminum "D44." It's not good enough to be classified as a turd.

Here's a factoid I uncovered in going through the factory service manual. They didn't mention this is the owner's manual (God forbid they should tell the owner anything useful), but in the FSM they specifically said NOT to jack up the rear using a single jack under the differential. Why? Because the stress will warp the diff housing where the axle tubes enter, and the diff will be ruined.

Of course, it wasn't necessary to jack it up to make that axle whine. Mine was noisy from the day I picked it up. The factory eventually sent a technician from Jeep to rebuild both of my axles in the dealership's shop -- after which the noise was worse instead of better.

And, of course, as has been noted the wheel bolt circle is wrong.

DO NOT buy this axle.

15 hours ago, Submariner said:

I got a lead on a dana 44 with 3.73 gears  from a 99 grand cherokee to swap into my 88 mj.  how much of that it going to have to change the perches and shock mounts.  He only want $75 for it.

Suggestions and recommedations please.....

Pass, 8.25 is the best bet.