helping my idot friend

sang_route

buddy has a 97 tj 4.0 32rh and he is trying to put in an ax15 out of a 92 yj.

Yes I know its internal slave and I need a special pilot bushing, its temporary till he drags in a 5.2 to go with the Dakoda bell housing I have.

And yes I know I need ether a manual ecu or to run the lockup solenoid wiring to a light so it recognizes a load. 

what I need to know is can I use the 92 flywheel on the 97 crank?

will it work with his auto cps? Or the manual one from the 92?

would it be better to get a 97 flywheel and cps as a pair from auto part store?

and yes ive dug and searched, the more I did the more confused I got.

10 hours ago, Eagle said:

Come on, guys. NONE of you has EVER posted a message with a typo?

We should be better than that.

You're right. I apologize.

I'm showing that the flywheels are the same (or at least interchangeable) for a '92 and '97 4.0 engine, so if I'm reading my sources correctly you SHOULD be ok putting a '92 flywheel on a '97 crank. That also implies to me that a '97 CPS will work with either flywheel (as it reads the teeth of the flywheel to determine crankshaft position). On the '97, I'm seeing different CPSes for manual and automatic transmissions, but I'm not sure what the difference is. You may need a manual transmission '97 CPS for the engine to run.

Yall harsh, but my primary language is redneck so English is hard.

Thank you minuit, pulled a triple over new years and got so fed up on researching, I gave up and figured I'd ask some smart folks. 

To all the others I have my buddies destroyed tj while hes deployed and somehow hes roped me into fixing it for him. Ah well least I won't be wheeling alone, and he'll owe me a lot of free pulls.

• 3 weeks later...

auto and manual TJ CPSs are not the same, they are physically quite different (the TJ auto is only one bolt, the manual is two, same CPS mount as the XJ/MJ aisin auto 'cause they're both aisin transmissions.) i think the connectors are different on YJ and TJ sensors as well. so he may specifically need a 97 manual TJ CPS. I've had to swap connectors on CPSs doing various AW4 swaps in non XJ/MJ jeeps... The WJ was a hell of a challenge.