Towing with an XJ?

JohnQ

will it pull it?

yeah

will it be able to control it?

errr, this is a 3,500Lb vehicle towing a 3,500lb vehicle on a (full?) trailer... thats alot of weight and its not gonna be easy to control.

brakes?

trailerbrakes and upgraded XJ brakes would be advised.

i'd tow an XJ on a trailer with an MJ before i did the opposite, the wheelbase would help you with control

I'm a trailer noob...

Trailer brakes solely depend on the trailer right? Or do they tie into the towing vehicles' braking system? I hope that makes sense.

I would like to one day trailer my MJ with my ZJ. Maybe flat towing is the way to go...

Flat towing isn't any safer. What you gain in less weight, you lose in the lack of extra brakes. I've flat towed my MJ with a KJ and there's no doubt I was maxing out the KJ's braking system. (plus the long weheelbase of the MJ pushes the KJ around and can make for an eye-opening experience even on a flat straight road)

Flat towing isn't any safer. What you gain in less weight, you lose in the lack of extra brakes. I've flat towed my MJ with a ZJ and there's no doubt I was maxing out the ZJ's braking system. (plus the long weheelbase of the MJ pushes the KJ around and can make for an eye-opening experience even on a flat straight road)

Well, which was it????

A ZJ or a KJ?

(One is certainly cooler than the other, and no the cool factor from the diesel motor doesn't offset the rainbow happiness of the ladies Jeep)

I have towed an XJ about 70 miles flat behind my ZJ. My ZJ is a 95 5.2L with the factory towing package(HD tranny cooler,3.73 gearing,Yada,Yada,Yada)

Will is start it? Yes

Will it stop it? Yes

Was it fun and something I want to do again? NO

I towed another XJ about 40 miles on a tow dolly behind my ZJ.

Start it? Yes

Stop it? Yes, much better the dolly had surge brakes on it.

Want to do it again? Not really, it still felt like you are 'on the edge' all the time. But a ZJ wheelbase is only 104" compared to an XJ's of 101". I don't even want to imagine fighting my long bed MJ(120").

Pete, while we are on the topic. How did using the Durango work? My wife wants to 'upsize' the family car, and my dad raves about his 4.7L Dakota. He says it feels so much better when towing than his old 5.2l Dakota.

Flat towing isn't any safer. What you gain in less weight, you lose in the lack of extra brakes. I've flat towed my MJ with a ZJ and there's no doubt I was maxing out the ZJ's braking system. (plus the long weheelbase of the MJ pushes the KJ around and can make for an eye-opening experience even on a flat straight road)
Bringing this up, I think it would be a great idea to build a system that could tie in with the tow vehicle that could be set up to hit the brakes on the vehicle being pulled when the tow vehicle does. Essentially, make use of the trailering vehicles brakes.

If you catch my drift here...

Well, which was it????

A ZJ or a KJ?

(One is certainly cooler than the other, and no the cool factor from the diesel motor doesn't offset the rainbow happiness of the ladies Jeep)

Pete, while we are on the topic. How did using the Durango work? My wife wants to 'upsize' the family car, and my dad raves about his 4.7L Dakota. He says it feels so much better when towing than his old 5.2l Dakota.

KJ. Apparently I type faster than I think and I should probably start using names instead of letters. :roll:

And you apparently haven't driven a diesel Libby. :D But I concede that the engine is probably the only cool thing about it (well, that and the satellite radio).

The Durango was definitely better than the Libby, but the MJ still tried its darndest to wiggly the Durango back and forth when there were grooves in the highway. The next time I take the MJ long distance, I'll be searching out a tow dolly with brakes and we'll see how that goes behind the Libby. I would foot the extra money for the Hemi though. The Libby takes off faster than the 4.7 Durango when the MJ is in tow.

Bringing this up, I think it would be a great idea to build a system that could tie in with the tow vehicle that could be set up to hit the brakes on the vehicle being pulled when the tow vehicle does. Essentially, make use of the trailering vehicles brakes.

I have thought about that, but don't have the resources to follow through with my ideas. :(

They already make one....

My dad uses it behind his motor home to tow his Dakota.

It has a large box that sit on the floor of the Dakota, and has an arm that goes to the brake pedal in the Dakota. His connects to the motorhome with a cable, but he said they are available in radio controlled versions. It plugs into the optional 12v power port in the dash.

When you step on the brakes in the motor home, this device has an electric motor that pushes the brake pedal in the Dakota. Works like a charm. Takes about 10 minutes to get into and out of the truck and get the linkage hooked up and ready to go.

I will call him and see if he has a digital with him to take a picture on it for me.

It is very spendy though.....

About $750 IIRC. I saw it at the showroom of the local Winnebago showroom when I was in seeing if they had any leads on old Diesel Lesharos.... :brows:

Seems like it is called a brake toad, or something similar.

And TADA! www.brakebuddy.com

(A whole lot newer, and fancier than the one my dad uses but the exact same concept)

Try to find a R/T Durango if you're gonna get one at all. 3.92 gears, awd, tow package, f/r swaybars, 1" drop with sport susp., 17" wheels big wide tires, beefed up 5.9 (+10 hp an +15 tq), f/r discs., not to mention the interior and ext. extras.

I recently towed my j10 on a full size car hauler. It performed great. nice acceleration, handling, and braking. Not near as nice as my dads 3/4 ton dodge, but it was only an 1/8th the price. I love the durango now.

I used a tow dolly from uhaul to bring my MJ home about 300 miles mostly highway. Getting going was a little slow, stopping even slower. The brakes on an XJ are barely adequate for daily driver duty. Once on the highway it was very comfortable at about 65.

MJ3.jpg

I used a tow dolly from uhaul to bring my MJ home about 300 miles mostly highway. Getting going was a little slow, stopping even slower. The brakes on an XJ are barely adequate for daily driver duty. Once on the highway it was very comfortable at about 65.

MJ3.jpg

NICE JEEPS.

I've flat towed...alot.

tatersalad (my old beater) was a flat tow rig. it's tough when the towed vehicle is higher than the towing vehicle...wouldn't really recommend it but you can do it.

towed the xj I parted out recently approx. 60 miles and it was fine, pulled by an xj. couldn't go too fast, about 60 was the most I'd take it to.

towed the 2.5 I just got home, it towed like sh*t cause I didn't have the keys...I broke the wheel loose of the column lock so it would turn, but not the greatest. didn't help that it sat a long time and had manual steering.

It's fine to flat tow for small distances, as long as you're careful. you have to remember that your weekest link is the trailer hitch and towing assembly, so you'll want overkill on strength (meaning grade 8 bolts and heavy steel). under-kill on it could kill. literally.

tatersalad had it's rear brake lights wired to hook up to the tow vehicle's trailer system. even the reverse lights worked (5 pin).

Driving back down from the Bay Area last weekend we came across a real mess. An F-350 had been towing a ~26' RV trailer, and things had gone bad, real bad. On a relatively clear stretch of road, the F-350 was wrapped around itself, and still connected to the trailer, which was turned turtle and gutted like a trout.

Never underestimate the power of physical forces.

I've done quite a bit of everything (trailer, tow dolly, flat tow).

XJ Pulling MJ on trailer. Yes the rear looks like it sags, but I had 3 axles on the rear of the trailer prior to the pic and it was a lot more leval. It was also my old rear leaf pack setup...

DSCF0124.jpg

XJ pulling XJ using tow dolly.

100_1137.jpg

100_1141.jpg

Than lastly, Rebecca's XJ flat towing my MJ.

100_1425.jpg

As stated the brakes sucks. It helps a LOT having trailer brakes if your going to be using a trailer. I'd also recommend that you have a tranny cooler or else don't even attempt.

Try to find a R/T Durango if you're gonna get one at all. 3.92 gears, awd, tow package, f/r swaybars, 1" drop with sport susp., 17" wheels big wide tires, beefed up 5.9 (+10 hp an +15 tq), f/r discs., not to mention the interior and ext. extras.

I recently towed my j10 on a full size car hauler. It performed great. nice acceleration, handling, and braking. Not near as nice as my dads 3/4 ton dodge, but it was only an 1/8th the price. I love the durango now.

Momma and a 5.9L.....

Would you actually give a crack addict a big bag of crack???

My wife had a VERY heavy foot.

She is looking at the AWD models though. She has it in the ZJ and loves it.(plus its nice not to get the 'do I need the put the Jeep in part-time or full-time or low' calls.)

haha, whats with all these tow dolly's and trailers? I got my dad to pull me and my truck with rope in a HONDA CRV. Just wrap the bumber and tie it to the trailer hitch on the honda. I sat in the truck and steered (and braked obvi) can't say it was very fast off the line but It sure was funny coming to a set of lights and he wouldn't even need to use his brakes, the comanche would stop both cars.

haha, whats with all these tow dolly's and trailers? I got my dad to pull me and my truck with rope in a HONDA CRV. Just wrap the bumber and tie it to the trailer hitch on the honda. I sat in the truck and steered (and braked obvi) can't say it was very fast off the line but It sure was funny coming to a set of lights and he wouldn't even need to use his brakes, the comanche would stop both cars.

The highway patrol tends to frown upon that method of towing. :D

The highway patrol tends to frown upon that method of towing. :D

Just when you least expect it, the dragon comes to call. :brows:

I did this once with one of our farm trucks and a buddies Camaro.

We went through the town he lived in with this Camaro on a log chain to the draw bar on the truck. My buddy sat on a 5 gallon bucket and steered the Camaro around corners and used the brakes when needed.

We got almost all the way to where he was going to be working on the car. We pulled through a stop sign just as the city police pulled up. My idiot friend leans out the missing door and waves at the cop. We get pulled over and he gets several tickets. I get a real butt chewing over the incident.

Luckily the local SA thought the cop was just being a fool. And she dropped all of the tickets against my buddy once we went in and explained to her what was going on.

Driving back down from the Bay Area last weekend we came across a real mess. An F-350 had been towing a ~26' RV trailer, and things had gone bad, real bad. On a relatively clear stretch of road, the F-350 was wrapped around itself, and still connected to the trailer, which was turned turtle and gutted like a trout.

Never underestimate the power of physical forces.

I saw much the same thing several years ago near the start of one of my cross-country drives. I was heading west on I-80 near the western end of PA when a Dodge crew-cab flew by me towing a camper trailer. It wasn't the largest camper trailer I've ever seen, but it wasn't a pop-top either. The traler was swaying back and forth behind the truck, and I was sort of glad he blew by me as quick as he did because I didn't want that rig beside me. I would estimate he was doing around 75 to 80 MPH.

Sure enough, about ten miles up the road I come around a bend, and there's the remains of the trailer, broken into tiny pieces and lying on what used to be the roof, in the grassy area of the media. The truck hadn't flipped, but it was pulled over a couple of hundred yards beyond the remains of the trailer.

There's a reason U-Haul puts a 55-MPH speed limit warning on all their trailers.

There's a reason U-Haul puts a 55-MPH speed limit warning on all their trailers.

There was a 45mph sticker on the last open top U-haul trailer I wanted to rent. :( I ended up just borrowing my buddies trailer instead. It was a 12 hour drive to my destination at 70 mph, I sure as heck wasn't going to attempt that at only 45. (and after inspecting the U-haul trailer, I wasn't about to go any faster than 45 with it)