Towing with an XJ?

JohnQ

free tow is the only way to go!!! when you do it as often as i do you get realy good...like a completely dead car at about 65mph. up here the law prohibits free tow on the hwy(not hard to fallow when there are only two hwys and vehicles outside of anchorage arnt usuly capable of passing emisions here). i proly free tow 3-5 times a year...the crapier the vehicle the better...burned amc eagle w\no windows at-15*f, waggy fsj with a t-case that decided to lock up at 45mph, or the 81 suby at 50mph on a 10 ' strap(10' doesnt let you see the strap),a one ton box van towed w\a stratus, then the stratis a year later(charging up the batt is always a good idea, i do like to have hazards when I'm a hazard just to impacent sometimes.

I didn't scoop any pics of me doing it, but I tow-barred my '82 Spirit and some Grand Wagoneers with my MJ. I used a full size Cherokee to tow my '83 J10 home (which will be taking over the towing/hauling duties that my '73 J4000 used to have once I finish)

Seeing and hearing these stories makes me wonder why more of us aren't dead :brows: I have some interesting tow stories as well, but most of mine involve me being passenger, or in the military in a third world country. Transporting a "picking beam" as an iron worker in the late 90's the guy who hooked it up didnt check ball size, or hook up tow chains... needless to say lost a trailer going down I-64 with a 25' piece of I-beam on it.. of course it ran another car into a concrete wall.. everyone walked away

The other intersting tow story.. on TDY in El Salvador I was riding in a duece and a half when the generator trailer decided it was going to break at the coupler :eek: by the time we got the duece stopped we had gouged the dirt road a good 500 to 600 feet, spilled all our extra diesel and made a hella mess.