Flat Fenders on my 89

I have an 89 MJ short bed. I know they can fit 31 inch tall tires without any lift, however I would like to put some flat fender fender flares on it. I have done some reading and I have found some flares don't fit the Comanche. What have you guys done on yours? Is there a good flare or company that you recommend? I am on a budget, so the cheaper the better!

5 hours ago, jason.cook.52206 said:

Well, this partially explains why it's so hard to put a stake through the heart of this bull$#!&. From Jason's link:

"We haven't tried putting the flat flares on a Commanche. They should work because the Commanche has the same rear wheel well as the 2 door Cherokee and the Flat Style flares are the same for 2 and 4 door Cherokees."

They can't even spell Comanche, they've never seen a Comanche, but they're telling customers that the Comanche has the same rear wheel well as the XJ ... which is simply NOT true.

So here's my thoughts. If your bed is decent honestly I wouldnt chop it up. Finding an unmolested bed is damn near impossible. If not or you DGAF the bushwakers will give you the closest fit. There is still a small gap but only if you look closely. Front doesn't matter same as an XJ. 

On 11/9/2018 at 12:09 PM, Pete M said:

are these the ones you're looking at?  I like them.  they look much less bulky than the traditional bushwackers :D 

6c8cbcb4247af98a4ef631b96ccf29c7.jpg

Yes, that is the style I like. Do you know the brand?

5 hours ago, Pete M said:

can't say for sure what that one is, but I do know that napier and bushwacker make that style. 

And Napier is spreading the misinformation. From their web site:

NOTE: These Flat Flares are for the 97 - 01 4 Door XJ only and will not fit the 2 Door XJ or MJ. Please see our other listing.

Once again: The rear wheel openings and flares for the 2-door XJ are the same as for the 4-door XJ. The 2-door XJ rear wheel arches is NOT the same as the MJ. The MJ wheel arches are both longer and higher than the XJ.

On 11/9/2018 at 9:39 AM, 89 MJ said:

I have an 89 MJ short bed. I know they can fit 31 inch tall tires without any lift, however I would like to put some flat fender fender flares on it. I have done some reading and I have found some flares don't fit the Comanche. What have you guys done on yours? Is there a good flare or company that you recommend? I am on a budget, so the cheaper the better!

To put all the good information from the many posts above into one post to make it clear and answer the OPs question. 

The FACTORY, non-cut apart, rear wheel wells between the 2dr AND 4dr XJs and the MJs are NOT the same.  No rear XJ FACTORY flare will fit the MJ.  

The flat flares sold by Bushwacker and Napier are designed to fit ONLY the XJ.  

They will bolt on to the MJ bed but it causes a gap in the lower body line, therfore DOESN'T FIT PROPERLY.  Some people are okay with the small (roughly 1/2") gap, others fill it in.  Napier markets them as fitting the MJ but they DON'T FIT PROPERLY! 

The CUTOUT flares (the bulky ones) that are offered by Bushwacker and Napier as well as some other knock off companies are marketed to fit both the 2dr XJ and the MJ because the wheel wells are cut out so far that they become about the same in size. 

There are some custom flat flare options I came across that used 1/2" thick PVC sheets cut to size and heated to bend the proper shape and they looked really good but were a TON of work and still cost around $100-$150 in materials. 

Just like you, I wanted flat flares and searched high and low before deciding to just run the stock flares because there were no good, affordable options for flats on an MJ.   As long as you bump stop accordingly, you can run 31" tires with stock flares without cutting the wheel well.   

I would also echo others from above, unless you are dead set on cutting it up (as it is your truck to do with as you please), I'd recommend keeping a clean bed whole as they are getting fewer and further in between. 

• 4 weeks later...

I just had an email conversation with Max (I think that's his name) at Dirt Bound Offroad. His flares are apparently always fabbed as part of the armor. I'm waiting to hear if he'll fab just the flares with some way to mount them. They look similar to the ones Krustyballer pictures.

Late to this thread, but I also talked with Russ at Notch Customs. They have changed the way they attach the mounting studs to the flare based on customer feedback. They are now 'glassed in instead of glued. They're supposedly shooting an installation video with an actual MJ showing the rear wheel wells. He noted that on the long bed that the gas fill door will protrude into the flare. I like the way they look and the price. Installation will be a bit of a job for us non-bodywork guys.