comanche cherokee interchange

This may have been asked before, but I couldn't find it by searching. I was wondering what all parts were interchangeable between the Cherokee and the Comanche? Is it mainly the body parts? I'm just wondering becuase if I go to a junk yard to get parts I'm sure they'll have more Cherokee's than they'll have Comanche's

It might be easier to list what doesn't swap. :D The vehicles are essentially the same as far as parts you can unbolt (drivetrain, wiring, front suspension). Just about everything from the back of the MJ doors to the rear bumper is different. The rear suspension is different, but Cherokee rear axles can be used if you weld on new perches. The XJ bucket seats can be modified to work if you use your current floor brackets, but 4 door seats don't lean forward (2 door ones do) and the rocking or power seats don't swap as well as the regular flat track seats.

• 3 weeks later...
The XJ bucket seats can be modified to work if you use your current floor brackets, but 4 door seats don't lean forward (2 door ones do) and the rocking or power seats don't swap as well as the regular flat track seats.

Someone told me that the Comanche tranny tunnel hump was larger than the Cherokee's. Is that true? Is that why you state the XJ's seats must be modified? Is it related to that?

Is there any range of years that will definitely fit? I was wondering if at some point in the 90s, did XJ seats change? Is there any XJ seat that is preferred over others when searching for seats?

I've never owned a bench seat until now. I can't say I am very pleased with mine. LOL

the floor is the difference, the tranny hump should be the same.

the MJ has extra bracing that caps off the framerail (right guys?) and the bracket is clearanced to sit on top of that and on the other lower part of the floor whereas the XJ brackets are just flat across the floor.

i have the "rocking" laredo 4door seats, and I'm very pleased with the ride (best seat for comfort IMHO) but they do sit high, one could cut the bracket down and get a lower seating postition if they were to tall or didn't like it (or just use the regular flat-seats)

the floor is the difference, the tranny hump should be the same.

the MJ has extra bracing that caps off the framerail (right guys?) and the bracket is clearanced to sit on top of that and on the other lower part of the floor whereas the XJ brackets are just flat across the floor.

i have the "rocking" laredo 4door seats, and I'm very pleased with the ride (best seat for comfort IMHO) but they do sit high, one could cut the bracket down and get a lower seating postition if they were to tall or didn't like it (or just use the regular flat-seats)

quite right, the floor is physically different.

As for parts interchange:

Everything forward of the seats interchanges.

All of the drivetrian parts interchange, with the exception of the rear axle and driveshaft.

An XJ axle will work, it just needs the proper leaf spring perches welded on.

Obviously an XJ rear D-shaft is too short to be of any use.

• 8 years later...

You can use the A pillar and dash. However, the B pillar will not fit.

The front seats will fit, but not the mounting brackets. You should keep the MJ brackets. The 4 door XJ seats don't fold forward. Seats from a 2 dr XJ do fold forward.

• 2 years later...

I know this is an old thread but I have a question about a specific trim piece and my question falls in here (Vs creating a new post).

The seat trims/plastics at the base; are these interchangeable XJ to MJ?

Also I have been searching google images but I can't find anything showing if the MJ Bench seats had plastic pieces at the base. If they did, will XJ pieces mount to Benches?