Suspension lift

1 hour ago, mancheflo said:

In the end I’m gonna build it how I’d like, I’m totally down for not cutting anything but I don’t want to spend a fortune on a lift. All I’m asking for is some advice 

Mancheflo, as you've already determined, I'm sure, die-hard MJ fans on here and some interesting personalities to go along with that spirit LOL! Since you are a new member I don't want you to get discouraged by strong opinions that may not fit what you'd like to do with your truck. Just keep asking questions and you'll get plenty of good advice, some incredibly knowledgeable people on here. Even the die-hards will eventually appreciate you building it however you like. Sweet truck, keep us posted with what you do with it!

9 hours ago, mancheflo said:

The only reason I got the 33s is because I got a hell of a deal On then basically brand new. And I don’t plan to cut the hell out of this thing

Then you should be able to sell them for what you paid for them, or more.

The problem is, the helluva deal on the tires is going to cost you a helluva lot of money. To run those things, you need new lower control arms just for turning clearance. You need at least a 4-inch lift, and a 6-inch lift would be better. When you get into that much lift, you need:

• An adjustable track bar
  • Adjustable lower control arms
  • Adjustable upper control arms
  • A rear lift, either a spring-over conversion, new springs, or an add-a-leaf plus shackles
  • Longer shock absorbers on all four corners
  • New, longer flexible brake hoses
  • A major wheel alignment

I'm sure there's something I've forgotten, but you get the idea. Whereas, you can run 31x10.50s on factory Jeep wheels with NO lift at all, or maybe a 2-inch budget boost if you feel you just have to do something to it. But a stock MJ is a very capable off-road truck even at stock height.

5 hours ago, WahooSteeler said:

Mancheflo, as you've already determined, I'm sure, die-hard MJ fans on here and some interesting personalities to go along with that spirit LOL! Since you are a new member I don't want you to get discouraged by strong opinions that may not fit what you'd like to do with your truck. Just keep asking questions and you'll get plenty of good advice, some incredibly knowledgeable people on here. Even the die-hards will eventually appreciate you building it however you like. Sweet truck, keep us posted with what you do with it!

Oh yeah..........except Eagle!

1 hour ago, Eagle said:

The problem is, the helluva deal on the tires is going to cost you a helluva lot of money. To run those things, you need new lower control arms just for turning clearance. You need at least a 4-inch lift, and a 6-inch lift would be better. When you get into that much lift, you need:

• A rear lift, either a spring-over conversion, new springs, or an add-a-leaf plus shackles

I'm sure there's something I've forgotten, but you get the idea. Whereas, you can run 31x10.50s on factory Jeep wheels with NO lift at all, or maybe a 2-inch budget boost if you feel you just have to do something to it. But a stock MJ is a very capable off-road truck even at stock height.

I think i might look outbthere and see if there are any decent sets I could trade for 

8 hours ago, mancheflo said:

Not sure if you’re being sarcastic or not 

I don't feel there is anything special about the HO trucks personally.

Since the truck is so clean I would vastly prefer you don't butcher it.  But it is your truck.  And what it sounds like you want to do does not fall under what I call butchering.

11 hours ago, Eagle said:

Just found this front set up off a Cherokee, really considering changing to the chrome front, everything should line up, correct?

64471960-D77D-4A43-88EE-B6DBE23A66C0.jpeg

5 minutes ago, mancheflo said:

Just found this front set up off a Cherokee, really considering changing to the chrome front, everything should line up, correct?

Nope. That's a 90 or below Renix, you have a 92 HO. The Renix uses upper and lower chrome trim rails; the HO does not. So to swap it over you will need to drill holes top and bottom to mount the trim rails then you can swap it over. Doable, but a bit of work.

If you want a chrome front front end it would be much easier to get the chrome headlamp doors and grill from a 91-96 XJ/MJ and swap them on your 92. Very easy to do..

My8Slot.jpg.5391d5130430be55c2147b90f3b663a8.jpg

12 hours ago, Eagle said:

don't think of it as a Jeep, or a truck.  try to think of it as you now own a classic car.  for perspective, I bought my first MJ in 1997.  a 28 year old car at that time would be the 69 Camaro.   :D 

the build I would do with it (note the focus on replacing the ancient rubber bits):

31s

TJ Canyon rims (8" wide and has stock backspacing)

2" budget boost lift  (pucks up front, chevy drop shackles out back)

WJ control arms  (they have a bend for tire clearance plus you can buy them new to get rid of your 30 year old bushings)

YJ front brake lines (they are longer than MJ lines and yours are now 30 years old and should likely be replaced)  

all sorts of fullsize trucks have a longer rear line to do the same

and then I'd leave it alone and focus on the other 28 year old items that likely should be replaced so the truck is reliable.  (cooling parts, rubber seals, grounds,  battery cables, etc)  see the link in my sig for all sorts of how-tos.  also this link:  

255847779.jpg

6 hours ago, mancheflo said:

64471960-D77D-4A43-88EE-B6DBE23A66C0.jpeg

To expand on Hornbrod's response -- "it depends."

That grille won't directly bolt onto your header panel (that's the fiberglass section in front of the fenders, to which the grille attaches). However, it's really not a big deal to just swap the entire header. That vehicle has the older, 10-slot grille, which is less common than the 8-slot grille, which then became a liability for Jeep when they found themselves trying to claim copyright (or trademark) infringement on other makers who had the temerity to put seven vertical slots in their grilles. Nowadays, every Jeep vehicle has a seven slot grille, even if it looks stupid.

That bumper is in nice shape, too. And it has the steel license plate holder, which is much more durable than the plastic ones used in later years. (I don't know what year they switched, but my 2000 XJs have plastic, and it sucks.)

So, if you're willing to do a bit more work, putting that nose on your truck is a bolt-on swap.

49 minutes ago, mancheflo said:

Does anyone have any ideas on headliner repair or projects, just the foam and no cloth there

Seen a lot of folk use fiberglass and bondo to patch up tears and such for the headliner backing. And as for the cloth, pretty sure any will do

Would you consider selling this truck? I have other Comanches for a trade too plus cash if your interested. I would absolutely hate to see that get changed at all except for getting it back to original factory build. I have several here that you can hack and build all you want but not a 92 in that kind of shape! I recently cut up a swb 92 and I was sick over it. The unit body was being held up by brake lines it was soo bad. I literally could stick my hand through the sides of the "frame rails".