Wheel hop

Has anyone experienced wheel hop as soon as the tires break loose? It happens to me all the time in the rain/snow ect anyone have a fix to it? I see some old school trucks with bars under the leafs springs? Not sure if Comanche’s could use them. It’s a lwb and 4x4 if that makes a difference 

10 minutes ago, Master7122 said:

Has anyone experienced wheel hop as soon as the tires break loose? It happens to me all the time in the rain/snow ect anyone have a fix to it? I see some old school trucks with bars under the leafs springs? Not sure if Comanche’s could use them. It’s a lwb and 4x4 if that makes a difference 

The direct answer is "No."

I haven't encountered wheel hop because I don't drive with a lead foot. That said, if you are experiencing wheel hop, all leaf spring vehicles function the same way, and traction bars will alleviate the problem. The next question is to figure out what type of traction control to get. The strongest and most effective are ladder bars, such as used on drag race cars, but those are probably overkill for an MJ driven on the street.

Spinning tires in rain comes with the turf -- a pickup has very little weight over the rear axle unless you're carrying a load. But getting wheel hop in the rain takes special talent -- the tires shouldn't hook up enough to cause hop, they should just spin.

18 minutes ago, Eagle said:

the tires shouldn't hook up enough to cause hop, they should just spin.

I agree 100% that’s why I’m mind blown, I’ll let go of the gas to gain traction and the second i give it gas it’ll loose traction and begin to wheel hop...

5 hours ago, Master7122 said:

I agree 100% that’s why I’m mind blown, I’ll let go of the gas to gain traction and the second i give it gas it’ll loose traction and begin to wheel hop...

Check for a broken leaf ...

Also are you sure it’s not clutch chatter (a common MJ issue)?

Bad chatter on a lwb causes the whole rear end to shake and rattle similar to wheel hop. Has anyone visually confirmed that the wheels are hopping, or does it simply feel like it is?

21 hours ago, 8valvehero said:

What size/type of tire are we talking?

Stock leafs and ride height?

31 bfg all terrain leads are stock metric tons and 3in lift

14 hours ago, 8valvehero said:

Has anyone visually confirmed that the wheels are hopping

Yes it’s been confirmed, I’ve snapped a unjoint because of this issue

16 hours ago, Eagle said:

Check for a broken leaf ...

Will do over the weekend eagle

21 hours ago, HOrnbrod said:

create a signature to describe what you are driving. 

Done, thank you for the link to explain how

1 hour ago, Master7122 said:

31 bfg all terrain leads are stock metric tons and 3in lift

How did you manage a 3-inch lift with OEM leaf springs? That may be part of your problem.

As the little killer robot said in the movie Short Circuit, "Need more data."

27 minutes ago, Master7122 said:

I’m using Chevy 2in drop shackles and polyurethane bushings 

Those things are flimsy at best especially if you're using the longer distance hole on the springs. The only thing good about them is that they are cheap. I'd change them out for a pair of HD extended Teraflex shackles or similar.

If you use your truck off-road, mounting something near the diff housing as suggested by 1989 ... is a good way to retain some articulation. If you just drive your truck on the street, or light wheeling (fire roads, etc.), the company known for such devices is still around and you could start with them:

http://tractionmaster.com/