A New Build Maybe - Help With Cost

Wasn’t sure where to start this thread??

Anyway, new to the forum but not Jeeps, I guess you could call me a Jeepaholic!!! Been building CJS for a few years with a couple of YJs thrown in. My last one was A 1982 CJ8 Scrambler which I sold a couple of months ago and have been bored to death since so I’m looking for something to get my hands dirty again. 

Always been interested in the Comanches so I started looking a couple of weeks ago. My only problem is I’m not quite sure of an entry price point on them. I’ve seen them from $500 to $10,000. Of course I’m not doing a $10k by no means. 

I found one one on Craigslist for $2500 which appears to have good “bones” but unsure of the price on it. I had the guy send me pics of the floor pans and frame and it looks clean. I’m hoping some of you Comanche experts can give me some advice. All input appreciated. 

The CL listing is here:

https://fortsmith.craigslist.org/cto/d/1988-jeep-comanche/6586711729.html

I’m attaching a pic of my recent CJ8 build. I don’t think I want to take the Comanche this far though. I really want to drive back and forth to the hunting camp and drag the jon boat to the river. 

Thanks in advance,

Griff04

2844EC04-A958-40EE-90DA-8247D65D90A3.jpeg

35 minutes ago, Griff04 said:

I found one one on Craigslist for $2500 which appears to have good “bones” but unsure of the price on it. I had the guy send me pics of the floor pans and frame and it looks clean. I’m hoping some of you Comanche experts can give me some advice. All input appreciated. 

The CL listing is here:

https://fortsmith.craigslist.org/cto/d/1988-jeep-comanche/6586711729.html

If you didn't buy it, it looks like it's gone..

8 minutes ago, HOrnbrod said:

If you didn't buy it, it looks like it's gone..

We agreed on the $2500, I told him consider it sold and sending him a certified check on Monday. 

Here’ a couple of pics of it:

615D892E-4B93-4898-8005-43D81C671317.jpeg

A14C9D2C-DA6F-4F9F-AD08-61CEE9B12C97.jpeg

80C3E8AC-87BC-409F-BFA9-BDF44577600E.jpeg

559A4DDC-1492-4D27-A0B8-9D6A9277392A.jpeg

5BB22067-AFFA-4DCE-9D1E-D9F617F2193D.jpeg

6DAE80EA-B14F-4772-8225-9D25E3E38306.jpeg

From solid through to rusted through they don't last if priced reasonable. Parts are parts. Sometimes its much easier to buy a turd and have your parts at your disposal vs. Trying to find them for an mj since parts are harder to find than the trucks in many cases. Its hard to say a starting point becuase so much depends on location of the truck in terms of rust. In the rust belt, a southern rust free goes for more and you better be the first to see it and get there. There is always some one willing to spend more than what you think. That person is usually the one to beat the rest of us out in answering the add and getting there first.

2 minutes ago, HOrnbrod said:

Looks like you done good Griff. Congrats and welcome to the club.  :beerchug:

Thanks, glad to be here. Sorta anxious to get it here and start checking out. 

Griff

25 minutes ago, crumbscomanche said:

good deal for a clean looking truck. but that scrambler though :brows: that's next on my build list. 

That was a 3 year build on the Scrambler, it was like a love/hate relationship. Started out with just a simple “cleanup” to have something to take to the woods and river, turned out to be an “ornament” that was just too nice to abuse. Sold it to a fellow that was going to put it in his collection of Mopars, go figure!

The Comanche build will be totally different, it will be “Used”!!!!

Griff

On 5/13/2018 at 8:41 AM, Griff04 said:

is there anything unique, good or bad, about the Pioneer models that I need to know??

I've got a 91 Pioneer.  Welcome to the club.  From my research on the Pioneer...

Pioneer was considered the deluxe trim level.  In years that both the Pioneer and Chief were offered, Chief would have been considered the only higher level trim than Pioneer.  (Inaccurate, Corrected)

They were considered the offroad model, and often were optioned with the skid plate package. I am not 100% sure on this, but I think most Pioneers were 4WD.  They usually had the deluxe interior, and came standard with items like bumpers and alloy wheels.

They had two different decal packages: Renix Pioneers are dressed with hockey stick stripes; and HOs with three wavy stripes.  

Other than that, info is sparse.

22 minutes ago, kryptronic said:

I've got a 91 Pioneer.  Welcome to the club.  From my research on the Pioneer...

Pioneer was considered the deluxe trim level.  In years that both the Pioneer and Chief were offered, Chief would have been considered the only higher level trim than Pioneer.  

They were considered the offroad model, and often were optioned with the skid plate package. I am not 100% sure on this, but I think most Pioneers were 4WD.  They had the deluxe interior, and came standard with items like bumpers and alloy wheels.

They had two different decal packages: Renix Pioneers are dressed with hockey stick stripes; and HOs with three wavy stripes.  

So I keep hearing about Renix and HOs, trying to understand the difference. What are the pros and cons between them?

24 minutes ago, Griff04 said:

So I keep hearing about Renix and HOs, trying to understand the difference. What are the pros and cons between them?

Renix would refer to MJs built 86-90 using electronics and systems designed by Renault and Bendix.  91-92 MJs were built by Chrystler using their High Output platform.  They are two very different animals, and while many love their Renix MJs, there is no question HO is better.

8 minutes ago, kryptronic said:

Renix would refer to MJs built 86-90 using electronics and systems designed by Renault and Bendix.  91-92 MJs were built by Chrystler using their High Output platform.  They are two very different animals, and while many love their Renix MJs, there is no question HO is better.

So I’m going to ask a stupid question, with it being an 88 I’m assuming it has the Renix, is there any “noticeable visual” differences in looking at a Renix and RO engine?

It's an 88 so it is a Renix.  Yes, there are many differences, and you can tell by just looking at them.  Take a look at a pic of an HO engine bay vs yours.  Luckily for you, most members here have Renix models, so mostly everyone can readily help you if you have an issue.

6 hours ago, kryptronic said:

Pioneer was considered the deluxe trim level.  In years that both the Pioneer and Chief were offered, Chief would have been considered the only higher level trim than Pioneer.  

They were considered the offroad model, and often were optioned with the skid plate package. I am not 100% sure on this, but I think most Pioneers were 4WD.  They had the deluxe interior, and came standard with items like bumpers and alloy wheels.

Pioneers were middle of the road, 87-92.  Chief was a bit above it.  the Eliminator and Laredo were top tiers in the years they were offered.  

4wd and skids were options on any trim level, but the majority of MJs of any trim were 2wd.  which is a shame but that made them cheaper I gurss.  My 88 was a 2wd Pio with vinyl buckets and the 3/4 gauge cluster.  pure middle of the road. :D  

• 1 month later...

JK shock upgrade. 

Did the JK shock upgrade today. Referenced the following thread, excellent write-up by jerpderp. Overall went well, pressing the bushings back in was the biggest PIA  

Found a set of take-offs on EBay and got them for $65. Bought the pin eliminator and bushings off Amazon. All in probably $120. Very happy with outcome, much better ride and definitely handling. 

112A156C-848D-4A2C-B1AE-B6CF8AADD339.jpeg

2211B2EF-B3BB-495A-9699-47AC521E7178.jpeg

2478B1CF-053B-4436-9F3E-EBEB8FD901BF.jpeg

6A72CE9F-38DF-49A5-9E2D-1C56DF1D9CA9.jpeg