May 2018 BuxMJ's '89 True Survivor

Every month we get to feature some great Comanches, a lot are terrifically built trucks with all kinds of purposes in mind.  This month we are highlighting a true survivor of the brand.  Its an almost stock 1989, that belongs to BuxMJ.  I will let Buck describe his truck in his own words!

BUXMJ's 89     

sideshot1.JPG

Year/Model   1989 Pioneer

Engine/Performance   4.0 stock

Drivetrain   5 speed AX15, stock transmission with the 4th (I think) clutch.  

Cooling   Stock with aluminum overflow tank.  

Electrical/Ignition   Stock

Suspension/Steering   Stock with helper springs added

Interior   Reupholstered driver's seat with stock material.  Center console from a Wrangler, cut down shorter.  New stereo and door speakers, rebuilt box speakers from '89, upgraded dome lights.  

Exterior   Pioneer stripes removed when repainted in 2000.  Repainted again in 2010 in slightly darker grey with black flares and lower panels, drip rails and cowl panel.  I had an aluminum topper for 20 years and I feel lucky to have found a Comanche specific topper that cost more to ship than the purchase price but worth every penny.  

Miscellaneous   My mj has earned its retirement and is only driven about 2k miles a year now, currently sitting at 261k.  I do use this as a truck still and don't know what I would do without the bedslide.  

I think I have every receipt for service, repair and parts since I bought it 28 1/2 years ago.  

Best story:  I was cleaning out the back after hauling mulch.  I had stopped to use the vacuum at a convenience store and a Jeep CJ pulled up.   A father and his young adult son got out and said they tuned around to come see my mj.  They said they had owned and restored many jeeps over the years and wanted to stop and thank me for taking care of this Jeep.  

CC is awesome,  tell us why:  Since I joined CC several years ago I have been a quiet lurker for the most part.  I do not post a lot but have been so impressed with so much on this site.  I use it to answer my dumb questions without having to post those dumb questions, there are are so many knowledgeable people who give great advice freely without a condescending attitude for those of us who might need a stupid question answered.  I am continually in awe of so many of the Comanches and the stories that go with them.  

sideshot1.JPG

interiorshot.jpg

engineshot.jpg

interiorshot2.jpg

actionshot1.jpg

Thanks Don for the kind words, ever since I joined cc I have wanted yours but I guess I will keep mine, would love to have a stroker some day though.  The wheels are the original steelies, I painted the original grey and then added chrome center caps.  The aluminum trim caps came with the truck when I bought it new, sorry there isn't anymore chrome, I had to have some shine on the wheels though!  

Buck.  

nothing makes me smile more than seeing a well kept survivor :D   (with some subtle upgrades of course!)  Bravo!  :bowdown:  and the bedslide is just awesome!  I need one for my truck

Thanks Pete, Jeremy and Swampy for the compliments, wish I had just a small percentage of each or your knowledge.  

Saveevryip, yes that is the original valve cover, I can't tell you how many times the gasket has been replaced, probably better to not know!  

Buck.  

I learn as I go. I'm really just a sucker who bought a rusty unit body, paid too much, was broke to begin with, fell in love with rusty unit body heeps Now I have a small junkyard in my house, outside my house, my friends, storage units, and inlaws. Kids do not grow up to be me.

• 2 months later...