"adds a 100 lbs"?? I don't know about that. I just got the mostaliner 2 gallon kit and the whole kit weighs less than 30lbs (including rollers, paint trays etc). I am in the process of getting ready to prep my truck for paint. Its mostly just scuffing the body and cleaning with acetone, then apply.

3 minutes ago, Swampy said:

"adds a 100 lbs"?? I don't know about that. I just got the mostaliner 2 gallon kit and the whole kit weighs less than 30lbs (including rollers, paint trays etc). I am in the process of getting ready to prep my truck for paint. Its mostly just scuffing the body and cleaning with acetone, then apply.

Oh ok I heard something crazy like that but I’m probably looking at some nice paint so idk of liner will look good on it 

20 minutes ago, Omarmartinez33 said:

I heard it stops the paint from scratching but it does add 100 lbs. but I’m changing the paint 

it does stop scratching, but it isn't invincible and brings on other problems:  fading, getting it clean, chunking, baking in the sunshine, trying to repair the steel if bigger damage or rust occurs, etc.   the various brands of liner have differing levels of issues so you'll want to research each and make sure you find the people with negative opinions about what they did.  nothing is ever as awesome as a quick quote on facebook makes it seem.  plus the effort to remove it after the fact is insane if for some reason you change your mind about the color or the look (yes, one owner did that after buying a truck that already had it on).

just make sure you research the hell out of it and give it thought. :L:  it's not for everyone.  

You're doing the whole truck?

Please don't.

But if you do the whole truck to a thickness that it's actually tough, it will be 100lbs at least.

A proper spray-in box liner is easily 50lbs for a short bed truck.

If you're talking about doing the box, you do want to prep and paint the rest of the truck first as it is nearly impossible to mask a line against bedliner.  The only way around it is to hide the edge with bedrail guards.

1 hour ago, DirtyComanche said:

Please don't.

But if you do the whole truck to a thickness that it's actually tough, it will be 100lbs at least.

If you're talking about doing the box, you do want to prep and paint the rest of the truck first as it is nearly impossible to mask a line against bedliner.  The only way around it is to hide the edge with bedrail guards.

What should I do then? I don’t want nice paint to get ruin quickly 

2 hours ago, Pete M said:

it does stop scratching, but it isn't invincible and brings on other problems:  fading, getting it clean, chunking, baking in the sunshine, trying to repair the steel if bigger damage or rust occurs, etc.   the various brands of liner have differing levels of issues so you'll want to research each and make sure you find the people with negative opinions about what they did.  nothing is ever as awesome as a quick quote on facebook makes it seem.  plus the effort to remove it after the fact is insane if for some reason you change your mind about the color or the look (yes, one owner did that after buying a truck that already had it on).

just make sure you research the hell out of it and give it thought. :L:  it's not for everyone.  

I’m trying lol but I want the best protection for my nice paint 

I used a angle grinder with a wire cup brush. I had 3 layers of paint from previous owner. The kit comes with 3 gallons material after mixing comes with a spray gun and all I did was prep the truck make sure your primer is dry. Not dry to the touch fully cured cuz it will Bake It Off when the bed liner cures.

Sent from my Z981 using Tapatalk

9 hours ago, Swampy said:

I did my truck in MonstaLiner WWII Olive Drab.  No regrets.  I ran a DA sander over my existing crappy finish.

8 hours ago, DirtyComanche said:

Please don't.

Please don't??  Matter of opinion, my friend. 

I love mine.  I can go through the woods and not worry about tree branches scratching paint.  I get TONS of complements.  It's funny how people always like to stroke and rub the finish with their hands.

I've got two coats of MonstaLiner, as they recommend, and I feel like any more would be unnecessary.  And i agree with Swampy that the 2-gallon kit was probably less than 30lbs.  I'd coated my entire rig with the exception of the bed interior.  May do that later this Summer but I'm in no hurry. 

Pete M is correct:  There's advantages and disadvantages.  This works for me. 

Like toughness and hate the thought of easily scratching and dealing with prolonging the life and looks of paint?  Use your truck like the utility vehicle it was born to be?  Plan on hanging on to your MJ for a while?   

Then please do.  

I was considering the wwII od green. Monstaliner just has a bunch of cool colors. I went with the predator green.

I know monstaliner has plenty of great reviews and it is supposedly UV stable for 5 years (at least) so no fading or chunking off. 

Another positive of monstaliner is that you can roll it on or spray it on. And you can actaully get it pretty smooth or rough if you want it. 

1 hour ago, Swampy said:

I went with the predator green.

Predator is LOUD, man!  Barbaric and Road rash are too.   Muddfoot has a pretty intense green on his too.

I'm anxious to see pics when you get er' done.  Timing during the application process is critical.  Be on top of your game when the day comes to apply.  I have some air bubbles that I wish I had my wife with me to check and correct, but I was on my own on that day.  Grab a wife or a buddy to locate areas that need attention as you apply.  Change rollers often (I bought extra).    

By the way, MonstaLiner's color "Sans Panties" cracks me up.  Why on Earth....and the actual color they chose for this name.....WTH?!

5 hours ago, coolwind57 said:

I did my truck in MonstaLiner WWII Olive Drab.  No regrets.  I ran a DA sander over my existing crappy finish.

Please don't??  Matter of opinion, my friend. 

I love mine.  I can go through the woods and not worry about tree branches scratching paint.  I get TONS of complements.  It's funny how people always like to stroke and rub the finish with their hands.

I've got two coats of MonstaLiner, as they recommend, and I feel like any more would be unnecessary.  And i agree with Swampy that the 2-gallon kit was probably less than 30lbs.  I'd coated my entire rig with the exception of the bed interior.  May do that later this Summer but I'm in no hurry. 

Pete M is correct:  There's advantages and disadvantages.  This works for me. 

Like toughness and hate the thought of easily scratching and dealing with prolonging the life and looks of paint?  Use your truck like the utility vehicle it was born to be?  Plan on hanging on to your MJ for a while?   

Then please do.  

Correct I plan on keeping it forever. I just want black and red to work. And if I can try to get a dope design on where I want both colors then I’ll be set on the idea

6 hours ago, coolwind57 said:

Predator is LOUD, man!  Barbaric and Road rash are too.   Muddfoot has a pretty intense green on his too.

I'm anxious to see pics when you get er' done.  Timing during the application process is critical.  Be on top of your game when the day comes to apply.  I have some air bubbles that I wish I had my wife with me to check and correct, but I was on my own on that day.  Grab a wife or a buddy to locate areas that need attention as you apply.  Change rollers often (I bought extra).    

By the way, MonstaLiner's color "Sans Panties" cracks me up.  Why on Earth....and the actual color they chose for this name.....WTH?!

Yeah it is, I will definitely have some people helping when it comes time to paint.

A few of the color names are just hilarious

On 4/26/2018 at 3:17 PM, Omarmartinez33 said:

Correct I plan on keeping it forever. I just want black and red to work. And if I can try to get a dope design on where I want both colors then I’ll be set on the idea

Seems guys are getting pretty creative with the color selections available over at MonstaLiner.  Here's some color combo pics for you:

monsta.jpg.39568be99012a7656249e02d12898a41.jpgmonsta1.jpg.7258e43c50d5982e9df143c6e9640d22.jpgmonsta2.jpg.826628524a5fdd5fe8f315ff5c7a51b0.jpg

• 5 years later...

I know this is an old thread, but I don’t care. This might help somebody in the future.

Paint job first, then Line-X. 

okay honestly is probably doesn’t matter but I went to Maaco and they did a poor job taping off the Line-X seams. 

Mary Jane here was originally cherry red, but rattle can gray when I got her. 

IMG_6145.jpeg