J10 Truck info

Lee21490

So tomorrow I'll be looking at a '75 J10 with a 360 in it, Honestly don't really know much about them... Any tips on what i should be looking for? What to watch out for?

The listing says it runs, But needs some carb work, 160k miles, $1000, needs it gone asap as he's moving.

My goal, Is to use it for a tow rig / Basic needs truck. Don't plan on lifting it or anything crazy, Probably 4 wheel disc upgrade, etc.

Any pointers would be appreciated.

Rust...rust and more rust. I don't know which tranny is in a

So tomorrow I'll be looking at a '75 J10 with a 360 in it, Honestly don't really know much about them... Any tips on what i should be looking for? What to watch out for?
The listing says it runs, But needs some carb work, 160k miles, $1000, needs it gone asap as he's moving.

My goal, Is to use it for a tow rig / Basic needs truck. Don't plan on lifting it or anything crazy, Probably 4 wheel disc upgrade, etc.

Any pointers would be appreciated.
Rust...rust and more rust. I don't know which tranny is in a 75...but if it is a 727, it's a good solid tranny, but with no OD, it's not a great one for a tow rig. Do a bit of research, as they used closed knuckle axles in some years. Also the QT transfer case can be problematic, but I don't know what years and the exact applications of it.

Sent from my SM-S727VL using Tapatalk

4 minutes ago, Keyav8r said:

I think the primary concern is the same as for MJs - RUST!

Thankfully rust isn't that big of an issue where I'm at. The pictures i've seen so far look pretty clean at least.

2 minutes ago, whowey said:

Rust...rust and more rust. I don't know which tranny is in a

Rust...rust and more rust. I don't know which tranny is in a 75...but if it is a 727, it's a good solid tranny, but with no OD, it's not a great one for a tow rig. Do a bit of research, as they used closed knuckle axles in some years. Also the QT transfer case can be problematic, but I don't know what years and the exact applications of it.

Sent from my SM-S727VL using Tapatalk

It's a manual tranny, Not sure which.

If you're going to drive it a bunch just order a FiTech or Holley Sniper right meow.

The frames aren't that strong compared with modern trucks, it is a true half ton.  Do not expect to go out and tow 10klbs with it.

Otherwise they're pretty simple, make sure the bed seams aren't rusting, along with the cab corners, the fender flares, the bottom of the cab where the cowl drains, and pretty much everywhere else.  Oh yeah, spring hangers, they like to rust off.

If it has a steel gas tank it will probably be rusted...

If rust is limited for $1,000 that's a pretty good deal. If you want turn it into a tow rig I'd look at swapping out the driveline. The 360 is decent, have one in a CJ, good torque but it's still carbed and at elevation it's a pain. It probably has a T89 or t18  so either 3 or 4 speed manny. The 4 is just a granny gear for 1st. 

I'd drop in a 350 with TBI vs going with after market EFI's. TBI is tried and true and can be picked up cheaper than the EFI's systems.  In any case you can still keep the 360 and swap on a TBI. Just need a manifold adapter plate. 

It's a manual tranny, Not sure which.

If the oddball 3 speed std then it’s T15 or T86. 4 speed should be T18 (4:1 or 6:1 first gear if T18a) with Dana 20 tcase. D20 was used until ‘80 with std trans then NP208 and Other 23 spline shallow input NP tcases with 727 or 999 Mopar automatics.

6 lug wheels mean ‘74+ with disc front and power brakes. D44 open knuckle front and RH offset rear in J10 until ‘80. D60 rear in J20 with 8 lug and rare-ish rear duallies were available.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

HvyFpPn.jpg

Sweet, Thanks guys.

So ended up picking it up tonight, Ran like a champ other than the carb is a bit screwy atm. Nothing a good rebuild won't solve.

Has the 4 speed, With 2wd/4wd/4wdlow, Thankfully it wasnt the fulltime 4wd variant, and front disc brakes

Already has a pretty good looking hitch installed

Plan on doing a tuneup, Replacing the intake manifold gasket, Front shocks, belts & rebuild the carb for now

Also plan on cleaning up the underbody of rust & painting it. Truck came from utah, So it has a bit more rust than typical around here, But still not bad at all. There's not a single rust spot on the entire bed, Just a couple small holes around a couple fenders

6 hours ago, Lee21490 said:

HvyFpPn.jpg

Sweet, Thanks guys.

So ended up picking it up tonight, Ran like a champ other than the carb is a bit screwy atm. Nothing a good rebuild won't solve.

Has the 4 speed, With 2wd/4wd/4wdlow, Thankfully it wasnt the fulltime 4wd variant, and front disc brakes

Already has a pretty good looking hitch installed

Plan on doing a tuneup, Replacing the intake manifold gasket, Front shocks, belts & rebuild the carb for now

Also plan on cleaning up the underbody of rust & painting it. Truck came from utah, So it has a bit more rust than typical around here, But still not bad at all. There's not a single rust spot on the entire bed, Just a couple small holes around a couple fenders

For a $1000? and you had to ask? :)

What a deal. 

Nice.

The full size didn’t come with full time 4x4 with stick transmissions from the factory. Dana 20 with 6 lug wheels and std trans until ‘80 Model year. They switched from RH drop front axle to LH in ‘80 and the NP219 was available for 2 years with std trans and 4.2L but rarely. The viscous coupler didn’t like the shock loads.

Most standard trans after ‘79 came with NP208AM as a combo. The 727 and 999 Auto ones ‘80+ came with NP219 (80-early ‘82) and was called Quadratrac but was more like a Quasi trac and not to be confused with the Borg Warner 1339 used before ‘80 and only with TH400 automatic ‘73-‘79. Better than full time 4x4 NV249 but not by much other than being able to lock 4 hi when needed. 

NP208 was part time Commandtrac with no internal coupler or differential  and often came with locking hubs. 

And there was NP229 Selectrac used in 90% of the ‘83+ FSJs till the end in Sept ‘91 except ‘86ish which got NP228 (same Selectrac as NP229 but no viscous coupler, like a non-posi axle)