Ford Ranger bed on Comanche?

I was told by somebody at a gas station that a Ford Ranger sport bed would fit on the short box Comanche. Could any one confirm that? I haven't seen anything about it in my searches. My bed is pretty rotted up on the sides. Should I look for a ranger bed or repair the sides? I don't have a big budget by any means. Lol. It needs the outer walls above the wheels and the inner wheel well on one side, maybe both. I was thinking for a repair that pop riveting or welding sheet metal bent/cut to shape on both sides would work nice. After cutting the rot out of course, and make them the same on both sides so it doesn't look absolutely terrible. Any thoughts? 

If you are thinking it will bolt right up on the back of an MJ that is not the case.  Yeah I'm sure it would physically fit behind the MJ cab and the wheel wells may line up halfway decent but it would require fabrication work to mount it.  

There is an MJ swb bed for sale in the classifieds right now, maybe youre close to it? 

Have you considered building a flatbed? 

19 hours ago, Dzimm said:

If you are thinking it will bolt right up on the back of an MJ that is not the case.  Yeah I'm sure it would physically fit behind the MJ cab and the wheel wells may line up halfway decent but it would require fabrication work to mount it.  

There is an MJ swb bed for sale in the classifieds right now, maybe youre close to it? 

Have you considered building a flatbed? 

I second the flatbed over a Ranger bed. Personally, a flatbed would/could be very useful, look more custom and you have many options to build what works best for your budget. The lines of the Comanche are distinctive for a pickup. Any other bed would look Frankenstein-ed. The fabrication involved would likely be close to just re-skinning your stock bed.

8 minutes ago, coolwind57 said:

Wow, that's actually kind of decent looking.  To each his own, but not bad.  

If the Ford bed rear wheel well openings were squared out to more closely match the MJ fronts, it would look real good. Even the fuel filler door looks right.

I hate to admitt it, but I kinda like it. That would be a cheap alternative for us rust belt guys and on top of it tail lights would be so much easier to find as well as it would b a little easier to avoid trail rash on bedsides if you go with a stepside. Thanks for that pic and I hope to try this. This may have given me a reason not to scrap the new rusty turd.

3 minutes ago, saveevryjp1998 said:

I just thought about the tailgate? No way in hell could it say Ford and not Jeep. I will figure that part out for sure.

It's just a badge, not stamped letters like the MJ tailgate.

Well great news there. I have a couple of mj gates left. The one has a good outer and the other a inner. I had always wanted to try to separate and make a nice one. I may separate the bad outer and see if it is possible to wrap and switch gates there has to be a way but I'm sure very time consuming. Thank you for the help.

3 hours ago, saveevryjp1998 said:

I'm in just made up my mind and am for sure gonna try this. I am gonna go ahead and pay for it with 2 more sets of mj tail lights I was considering selling so changing my post now for those who have been hounding me.

For sure, document your project and take tons of pics.   Especially curious of how to best mount to the MJ frame   Bolts, holes and mounts lining up would be too good to be true.  

Well I have several mjs swb and lwb and spare beds. Half are just rusted out. I do drill out spot welds and save good bed pieces in effort to build a bed. I have a bed bottom that is clean for a swb leaning against my garage that I could easily take measurements with me to a yard before even buy it to see if its worth it or not. The biggest hurdle for me is figuring out how to put pics on here from me phone. I've tried Imagure and Tapatalk. Both don't work. Any suggestions would be much appreciated since I could have started many since I joined here with all the money pitts I throw parts at or take from around here.