'91 Comanche H.O. Build

Go on... I'm not familiar with this. I realize i could google but it sounds like you may know something specific to use. 
Hey BillyBlankss! Yes fluid film is very very popular up in the NE and the rust belt. It's a wax based film that is sprayed underneath and inside the frame, usually applied once a year, sometimes more

https://reviewsdone.com/fluid-film-reviewed/

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Just my luck.. Cuss Word! Cuss Word! Cuss Word!!!.. Dang! While grinding the flakey terrible rubberized coating underneath I found this hole, you couldnt see it.. it was covered by the coating underneath and the seam sealer inside. It's in a complicated spot too. Two separate metals overlap right there, the floorpan overlaps above and the fender well metal on the bottom. Took some thinking and a few beers to figure out how I was gonna fabricate a fix. I cut out the bad and started making templates out of a 12pk Dr Pepper box. Traced it onto metal, cut it out and started shaping it to match the bends of the area. Got it welded back in and seam sealed it up. Rough project I didnt know was coming! Guess that's how it goes on a 30 year old classic348bab34829c70b4108a4c60051c9569.jpg63fabfe734c99dcce723e362d631a980.jpgead263a3279dddaf375d8a960cae9823.jpg390f842ba4ad608bcf503d635757855a.jpg

are you going to put a rug above it? my rug was so gross - i used the rustoleum 2 in 1 after i used a bunch of rust neutralizer and then rust reformer on the spots on my floor. But i'm really reticent to put a rug back on top because i feel like that rug was half the problem. I am debating just going a couple coats of the rubberized rust reform and seal and just using vinyl floor mats. 

are you going to put a rug above it? my rug was so gross - i used the rustoleum 2 in 1 after i used a bunch of rust neutralizer and then rust reformer on the spots on my floor. But i'm really reticent to put a rug back on top because i feel like that rug was half the problem. I am debating just going a couple coats of the rubberized rust reform and seal and just using vinyl floor mats. 
Yes sir.. i am going with new carpet and upgraded backing. I've put so much time into the floors i don't think leaks could get in.. fingers crossed! Do you have a build project thread? I'l check it ot if so!

Now on to fixin the seat mount tabs.. they were rusted and broke and likely not safe at all. Made a template, cut out new steel tabs and drilled the holes to match. Had to re-fab 4 of the 8 tabs for the two seats. Rust is terrible and unforgiving..But we got it done!b25d5c865c144d458819ca84fc8428ba.jpg68f3faf0cc0add76ce92dabef5ecb239.jpg2b8d2cbb2e8ec02677076b22b3c1bf62.jpg

Nice! I can't imagine what you would be thinking when needing to stop fast and not have that fixed, great job!

Buck
Thanks Buck! My brother has been helping me throughout on some of the projects. I have to balance him wanting to build up and make off road awesome and taking time to restore issues like this and rusty panels and mounts and brackets.. either way it's been fun and lots of learning. Thanks for checking it out.. more to come!

Moving onto the Comanche bed, we had 4 broken rusted bolts to extract or fix. We fixed by cutting them out, fabricating a square piece of metal and welding a nut to the backside and then welding them back into place. Turned out much easier than trying to extract 30 yr old bolts403057268_MJBed.png.5dcdb309ac257647fd98614ad1d87d79.png1962821097_MJBed2.png.6f25504e3f51e595b7e50b2c5877f2fa.png1525152722_MJBed3.png.16f8b6a01241820a4c843126294debd1.png972278483_MJBed4.png.63c0f150da8fe0d9c3af6757564b5ae9.png1523774143_MJBed5.png.ee96e4610bbf4bfd3f2f62373a97f0f1.png

Finishing the bottom side of the Comanche bed, wire wheeled loose rust and debris, 2 coats or rusty metal primer and 2 coats of rustoleum pro enamel.. Done! It looks so good.. when this is all done I might crawl under the truck just to look at it sometimes!

MJ Bed 6.png

MJ Bed 7.png

MJ Bed 8.png

MJ Bed 9.png

MJ Bed 10.png

12 hours ago, buxmj said:

Great work, should never have to worry about rust there now! 

Buck

Man I hope not!  I turned a GMC Sonoma 4x4 into my hunting rig out in SW Texas.  We put a small suspension lift and fixed a bunch of pretty bad rusted areas.  After fixing and fabbing and welding, I just rustoleum sprayed everything and it looked perfect.  Well, fast forward 9 months.. 14 months later and rust was poking through all those painted areas and rock chips rusted again.  I'm hoping to do things right on the rust fixin and prevention on the MJ!

9 hours ago, WahooSteeler said:

I think I'm most impressed by your patience to do everything so thoroughly and correct. Obviously that's how it should be done so you only have to do it once, but as the saying goes patience is a virtue. Nice work! :L: 

Thanks WSteeler!  I appreciate you saying that!  This particular MJ has a ton of potential to be a solid truck for a long time.  It's the hope that it'll be a great ridin truck, restored and built well is what keeps me going! Stay tuned, more to come!

This is part of the Comanche project I've been absolutely dreading. Grinding and wheeling rust and flaky underbody coatings. Luckily above the transmission was in great shape but around the floorpans and above the muffler was pretty bad. It was a dirty dirty job! Under the truck grinding in very tight spots.. not much was fun about this part, but just got under there and got after it! 

1897617503_MJUnderside1.png.c25e5580216aaf659c412c6efb5d288b.png177783460_MJUnderside2.png.dd34f4ce857185c129c4725c1e2dcb28.png1156095735_MJUnderside3.png.1c610d4459780c2a30726eb0290119ca.png1024703924_MJUnderside4.png.e47a08208287a08a0883a30e6957e784.png300149720_MJUnderside5.png.240cc72c746308b73ae6e78a1c161f86.png

Finishing up the drivers seat mount on the comanche. The longer side tab was completely gone. Cut out a piece of metal in the shape l thought would work and welded it on. Test fit for the proper height in the truck and made a few adjustments with the grinder. Once I was happy with the height and it made the seat level, I made a side brace for stability and a small bottom tab to bolt to the floor. Used some rust converter paint and then a good top coat. It's very cool having the seat in the truck.. first time putting in the bucket seats since taking out the bench seat. Seat Project done! This comanche project is not officially sponsored by Dr Pepper or Coca-Cola, but if they're interested!?!?

MJ Seat Mount.png

MJ Seat Mount 2.png

MJ Seat Mount 3.png

MJ Seat Mount 4.png

MJ Seat Mount 5.png

On the Comanche paint and rust protect project.. got the entire underside painted with Rust-Oleum Pro Enamel. Also, based on a great recommendation from an experienced Comancheclub member @Jeep Driver, I added majic catalyst hardener in the paint mix. It finished super nice and smooth and much harder than other parts I've already coated.. Sweet! ... And we reinstalled the NP231 transfer case with Slip Yoke Eliminator

MJ Paint.png

MJ Paint 2.png

MJ Paint 3.png

We got the Comanche console installed! Because it originally didn't have a console we were missing 2 of the 3 mounting points. I ordered the upgrade metal mount from JCR off-road for the rear and then we created and welded the front mount from some stock flat 1/8" steel. Drilled holes for the mounting screws and used Uclips to screw into. As everyone says that JCR mount is really well done. We had to bend and fit it to make it level and expand the mounting holes for the bolts we wanted to use. We drilled through the trans tunnel and inserted bolts up from the bottom, washers and nuts on top and then covered the bottom with silicone under the truck. Bam! new center console! 

MJ Center Console Install.png

MJ Center Console Install 2.png

MJ Center Console Install 3.png

MJ Center Console Install 4.png

MJ Center Console Install 5.png

On 3/18/2020 at 11:34 AM, billyblankss said:

I saw in another thread people who use por15 then recommend you do not apply bedliner on top because it could end up trapping moisture. There has to be something out there that would sufficiently prevent future issues with moisture. I wonder if there's anything other people have tried with success. I even though about using flex seal or something - if it's good enough for industrial applications... ha

the only real way to prevent future moisture issues is to be proactive with all the various ways that water gets in. :L:  and there are many of them :(  

the only real way to prevent future moisture issues is to be proactive with all the various ways that water gets in. :L:  and there are many of them  
Sad face is right! It's a lot of work to fight 30 yr old rust and then try to prevent! Please let me know if you see me doing anything way wrong during all my updates! Your advice would always be appreciated

Sent from my Pixel 3a using Tapatalk