March 2018 ● ROCKFROG's '88

Happy March, Comanche Club! Here's something fun to try... think about when you got your truck. Where did you get it from? Did the test drive go smoothly? No?... but you got it anyhow, right? How long was it before you started working on it? Some of us have had our MJs for a while now and others not so long. It's no competition, but some of us make the most out of owning a Comanche. This month let's have a look at a build that I've enjoyed since the beginning. Here's this month's MJOTM!

Leprosy 3D Filled Italic

20171002_182350.jpg

YEAR/MODEL 
88 SporTruck

ENGINE/PERFORMANCE ●
97 TJ 4.0L, 99 WJ intake, 93 XJ exhaust, Volvo 746 injectors, 97 HO throttle body, GM 2.8L TPS, GM IAT update, stock MAP moved to throttle body, 105A CS130. Renix MPFI to the end. 

DRIVETRAIN ●
95 ZJ D30 (3.73), 94 XJ AX15, 93 XJ NP242, 95 Explorer 8.8 (3.73) w/drums. 

COOLING ●

00 XJ Radiator/Open cooling conversion, 97 TJ fan clutch, heater valve delete, added 93 XJ aux fan (controlled by REM) 

ELECTRICAL/IGNITION ●
1990 XJ ECM and distributor, stock 88 otherwise. 

SUSPENSION/STEERING ●
Roughly 3" front lift ZJ front coils w/ 2" spacer, custom RE joint based adjustable uppers (16.5"), fixed lowers (16.25") adjusted dual caster mounts to stretch front out about 3/4" or so. Rear is SUA Bastard pack using A mix of stock 2wd and 4wd packs with Dakota leaves mixed in.  

INTERIOR ●
A work in progress ... 90 XJ 4dr Laredo seats, 96 XJ "wood like" dash bezel, custom "medium sized" console with embedded REM. Interior recolored Charcoal grey and Black. Custom "built to fit" behind the seat speaker box.  

BRAKES ●
Front 00 XJ spec, Rear 95 Explorer spec, 95 ZJ Booster and master Cylinder, 93 XJ Proportioning valve, Stock prop valve delete.

LIGHTING ●

Stock headlights with relay harness added. JK fog lights wired into EGR solenoid circuit as DRL's 

EXTERIOR ●
00 XJ front clip swap, cut down JK front bumper.

"free if it fits" farmers field brand canopy. 

Current truck color - less ugly than it used to be, but still under construction - last on the list. Let's call it green-ish. 

WHEELS/TIRES ●
09 Charger 17" 5 spoke wheels, 255/75r17 JK leftover BFG MT and Wrangler MT.

1.5" spacers on rear 8.8.

MISCELLANEOUS ●

Swapped 92 XJ SAE guages into my Canadian metric cluster "cause I predate it". 92 XJ tilt column, 93/4 XJ front doors and rekeyed locks to Ignition. One key is me.

Oh Ratmanche ... she's a working truck, she's not overly pretty, but she's reliable and sound. Honestly has yet to let me down, the new motor should help keep her that way. 

IMAG0609_zps1d3e801c.jpg

20180226_072830.jpg

20180226_075731.jpg

20180226_180132.jpg

20180226_180141.jpg

20180228_074409.jpg

20180228_074419.jpg

FULL BUILD THREAD

Remember That One Time?... Tell Us Your Best MJ Story ●
Haven't really had a moment to remember yet, she just runs and works reliably. Only real moment was the purchase day ... Talked the owner down to less than half asking price, the radiator was literally crumbling, the trac bar was so worn out it was a half turn of the wheel before the turn started (after the body was finished shifting over). E-brake failed after the test drive. Made it easy to get the price down. It was ... an interesting trip home after. 2 days later and my spare 00 XJ parts later and she's been my DD since. 

CC is Awesome!... Why Do You Think So? ●

Because the knowledge here is excellent, and the group in general is quite personable. Here I've found hard to find help and parts when I had almost caved. The only forum I still check in to. 

11f76fbba91c817110b03a36c7a5396d.jpg

Congratulations! Like I said, I've been watching this build from the start. So many times our stories start off just like this one that we question if we should even buy a vehicle. We do... we always do. Things are broken but we fix them. Things are ugly but we make them look better... kinda. Things always need attention but we still love our trucks. Sometimes the best vehicles on the road and just the old reliables that we can't seem to stop driving. On behalf of your truck, thanks for keeping it running!

-Ben

Jeeps don't need to be monotone

I love it!   
Thanks, I love the old girl too.

Sadly, once I attacked rusty bits under the original white paint she was several shades of grey, red and white-ish, looked really "classy". Got tired of the crusty look really quick ... Hit with some self etching primer around two summers ago. Honestly liked the color (box) hit the box with some clear to see what it would look like ... So once everything else is done .... I have a Color. But, I also found out about things like manufacturers color variances .... So she's green, just a couple different shades of it I guess. Thinking to add some subtle red accents as well, tried a few ideas with the plasti-dip stuff and found a pattern that worked well with the green/bronze.
Not sure about the topper yet, but it keeps my junk in the back dry so it's there until the weather dries up at least.

Just really want to button up all the little issues remaining before I worry about any real paint work.

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using Tapatalk

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...

Tons of room for something like that, even with the receiver mount added up front. Might even add a plate to the Receiver mount and add a winch later on.

Congrats! Have to also agree with the bumper.  

When I saw the picture I paused for a moment and then said to myself "That's awesome. And I bet a winch could be hidden inside!"

• 1 month later...

Tires would have hit the springs without them. Might work without with a wheel with less backspacing.
The axle itself is 1 3/8" narrower overall. So not a huge difference. But due to the wide spring layout, wheel choice or spacers are a question.