Spare tire area fuel tank.

Anyone have ideas for what size fuel tank would fit in the spare tire area on a short wheelbase 4wd 92 mj. I'm looking possibly at a tj or xj or maybe yj tank but don't know if Any would fit. Does anyone know the dimensions of these tanks? I don't mind altering cross brace under the bad some to make extra room. Looking to move the tank to create room for 3 link or triangulated 4 link.

Thought about it but I don't think I could make it work with factory fuel filler location. If I could find a long skinny one that might fit under the tool box though that might could be neat but I have never used a fuel cell like that before so I don't know much about them. How to fill them easy, do they make them with fuel sending units so I could know fuel level with factory gauge etc.

I'm looking at an alum from summit racing currently 30"x17"x7" built in fuel pump and gm sending unit 0-90ohms to match oem gauge. $230 dollars roughly. This might be the route I go. I'll have to measure when I get home this might require cutting part of the x brace out and re bracing with stronger metal tubing.

Measure a 19 gallon rear fuel tank from a 1996(?) and earlier Ford F150 pickup fuel tank.  Must be a million of them in junk yards.  Very close to the dimensions of the Summit tank.  Some include a fuel pump in the tank.

Before you mount your tanks there, do some reading about the Ford Pinto fire risk in rear end collisions  There is a reason why fuel tanks are now located in the middle of the car.  Also, where will you relocate your spare tire?

If you do decide to go with the rear mounted tank, think about how you are going to protect the tank.  Meaning a solid bumper and a factory type class 2 trailer hitch.

As an alternative, think about a stock 18 gallon Comanche fuel tank located on the passenger side .. May be an issue for your rear suspension plans, but it is a viable alternative.

There are a number of old discussions here on the Comanche Club about all these problems/issues.  Search second fuel tank or aux fuel tank. I have posted this question once or twice in the last 8 or 9 years.

Thanks for the help and concerns. I'm not at all worried about the safety aspect there is a 1/4 steel heavy built bumper protecting the tank and the mounts go about 16 down the frame rails with multiple mounting bolts on each side.

As far as just moving the tank I'm not actually wanting a spare tank I'm wanting to relocate the tank to provide room in from on the axle for possible 4 link suspension setup.

I will defiantly take a look at the f150 tank if the are designed to fit factory in the location one could possibly work.

This is the one I am talking about:

http://www.rockauto.com/en/moreinfo.php?pk=534609&cc=1029620&jsn=578

1997-2005 Blazer.

This one for carb applications:

http://www.rockauto.com/en/moreinfo.php?pk=534588&cc=1029619&jsn=465

1996 Blazer.

No, I haven't tried it.  I probably shouldn't have said "...guarantee it will fit" because that's a pretty bold statement, but I seem to recall measuring it before and thinking it would go.  Might have been on my LWB that I measured though...

Looks like a decent fit depending on how much of the cross brace your willing to cut out. Looks like 33 inches would work out about right but ideally I think 16 inches is about as wide of a tank as I'd want. The depth would be fine to if I Had not cut the back lower half of my bed off from the style line down. Because of how I trimmed my bed you would see a large amount of the tank sort of like how you can see the tank on an xj

the po of my heep had a 97+ xj tank mounted in the spare location and cut a hole in the bed floor for the filler neck. I've since changed it but still have the mounting bar between the unibody rails

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Thanks for the help and concerns. I'm not at all worried about the safety aspect there is a 1/4 steel heavy built bumper protecting the tank and the mounts go about 16 down the frame rails with multiple mounting bolts on each side.

As far as just moving the tank I'm not actually wanting a spare tank I'm wanting to relocate the tank to provide room in from on the axle for possible 4 link suspension setup.

I will defiantly take a look at the f150 tank if the are designed to fit factory in the location one could possibly work.

It's not only Pintos that had the fire risk. XJs were also susceptible. The "fix" was adding a hitch that was also very thick and ran down the frame rails, yet fires still occurred from heavy rear end collisions, made more frequent by small cars going under the bumper/hitch of lifted vehicles and hitting the tank directly. This doesn't stop me from owning 2 XJs but I wouldn't choose that route if I didn't have to even though the odds of this happening are low(knock on wood). But that's just me.

I'm still interested in how this will turn out and what options there are for this setup. This will help others out who are looking to add an extra fuel tank or even a water tank of some kind.