leaf springs

alright, so I'm going to be doing something a bit odd this fall.

going SOA, but want to keep the rear at 4"

need it to be flexy, yet still be able to carry 500 lbs of gear

looking at FSJ leaves.

who's got the info on them.

length?

load capacity?

spring rates?

pretty sure they should bolt up, and be nearly flat.

I'll likely move my shackle hanger forward so I can use the long shackles and have a 45* shackle angle, should provide good flex.

hit me with ideas fellas. I was going to use some 2wd MJ leaf packs, but I think that even they will put me around 6" with the 8.8.

A 90* shackle provides a good balance between droop and stuff. A 45* with shorter leafs would limit droop and a 45* with longer leafs would limit stuff.

The 2wd leafs (with extra main) on my truck are very very flat. Any flatter and they might as well be inverted. Add an extra main leaf (maybe from an Explorer) and you should get your cargo capacity and your desired height.

But I guess if you're looking for 4" of lift with the bed empty, this may not work perfect. It's hard to compromise between cargo capacity and flex.

Actually, I'm not certain if the height you desire is possible without going to an inverted leaf. Some measurements should show if it is.

And one more thought; don't fear going slightly higher in the rear than the front. In my opinion, a couple inches higher won't make the truck look funny, but if the rear is lower once you pile in the gear, it will look saggy.

I've got waggy springs on the back of my junk, I DD mine so I've never really flexed it out. It rides pretty good and the payloads not bad either. Not sure on springs and such but they are the same dimensions as MJ springs. So they will bolt right up.

perhaps I'm gonna stick with my original 2wd main leaf plan with exploder packs

They're still sitting up in PA....we just need to figure out a meetup time. I'm heading up toward the end of August but not sure if I'm gonna have time to roadtrip...

Jeff

Revolvers suck... And I don't know what a z-box is, but if it's like a revolver, it sucks.

It's more gimmicky than a Revolver.

teraflex_zbox.jpg

Roadless, DON'T RUN EITHER ONE! Waste of time, money, and safety.

Let's keep this on topic!

No one yet has tried out full-size Chevy leaf springs off a '90s half ton! Go SOA and then redrill the front mount further forward and they should bolt up.

They're made for a SOA set-up, so you'd probably get just a few inches of lift out of them. In the Toy world, they're famous, but in our little MJ world, they're unheard of. I'm selling my Toy that has em on it so I can't guinnea pig it.

Did not mean to go off topic, just trying to put some 'outside the box' ideas to help the OP, who seems to want to keep amount of lift down from a SOA setup :???: .

When you look at a 'compressed' revolver, it appears shorter (less lift) than a standard MJ shackle. This is only 'theoretical' as I have not run them, but thought it was worth mentioning :hmm: .

if i can't find any good replacement OEM style springs anywhere I'm thinking about don't a pete-style leaf-swap thread using FSJ leafs and maybe those chevy ones you were tlaking bout, though if they're the wrong length i don't think ill dabble with it.

but we shall see... next paycheck will come along with a nice fat check to a certain rubiconexpress company ;)

crazy shackles are out. I'm not a big fan of revolvers on our kinds of terrain. Too much off camber unloading that will make you crap yourself.

Jeff,

I was planning a trip to wellsville end of august, so if you can make it, we'll go wheeling ;)

Heh.....if I get the new axle underneath, and find a YJ disco outer with a 297 UJ in it to swap into my '30, mebbe I'll bring the MJ along. I need a good shakedown run once it's ready :D

Here is how I look at springs and shckles. Your springs need to be stiff enough to provide decent weight carrying capacity, while being able to flex their @$$ off. So basically it is a compromise... stock leaf packs, with another main leaf added as the second seems to work real good, factor that in with a Chevy 2" drop shackle and you have a real good load carrying and flexing setup

anybody out there go SOA with a 8.8 and 2wd MJ leaves? that's what i've got sitting in my garage waiting to go in. i've got a 3" AAL lift right now, and hoping to only add and inch or two when I put in the 8.8 and 2wd leaves. how much lift does this setup give you?

Here is how I look at springs and shckles. Your springs need to be stiff enough to provide decent weight carrying capacity, while being able to flex their @$$ off. So basically it is a compromise... stock leaf packs, with another main leaf added as the second seems to work real good, factor that in with a Chevy 2" drop shackle and you have a real good load carrying and flexing setup

that's what I've got now, it does flex well, and is capable of a 1K pound load.

anybody out there go SOA with a 8.8 and 2wd MJ leaves? that's what i've got sitting in my garage waiting to go in. i've got a 3" AAL lift right now, and hoping to only add and inch or two when I put in the 8.8 and 2wd leaves. how much lift does this setup give you?

you just described exactly what I was trying to find out.

I had 4wd leafs and the 8.8 in Pong, and I sat level with 6.5 coils up front, but I also carried a lot of crap in the bed.. when Pong had one. It also depends on how tall your leaf spring mount is, mine was mounted so it sat flush with the top of the axle... no added lift. I have seen ppl who have made their own mounts dd up to 1" to the mounting pad

I had 4wd leafs and the 8.8 in Pong, and I sat level with 6.5 coils up front, but I also carried a lot of crap in the bed.. when Pong had one. It also depends on how tall your leaf spring mount is, mine was mounted so it sat flush with the top of the axle... no added lift. I have seen ppl who have made their own mounts dd up to 1" to the mounting pad

mine will be flush with the tube, just enough under there for the centering bolt head.

If I end up around 5" empty then it will be good.