Head unit wiring

OK so since getting my truck back on the road, I figured its time to get some music going in the cab. My stock radio doesn't work (no antenna currently). I bought a cheap dual headunit from Walmart, got my wiring connector thing, and a mounting kit. I hook everything up, and.. Nothing. Doesn't even turn on. I rechecked all my connections, and they all look good. However there are two extra wires from the connector that aren't in use. One is for dash lights and the other for dimmer. Are these supposed to be connected to something I'm missing?

Man I hate wiring.

3 main ones need connected for power unit, yellow which comes from ignition, red that is always on 12 volt and the ground black. My unit does not come on till key is in start mode or running, for the ignition yellow wire to be on. some units do require if there is a mute button, to be hooked up for audio to flow, meaning you can hook it to the same yellow from ignition, but will not keep unit from powering up, just audio from speakers.

Make sure your 12 volt red is working, you can touch both yellow and red on the units wire to see if powers unit on, with black ground connected of course. If it does then you need to make sure the ignition is in on, if not powering then trace back to fuse box. Could be a loose prong on the fuse, that happens some time.

On my stickshift MJ I had to run another fused wire for the 12v constant line because my fuse block is ruined from brake fluid. On my auto one, however, I simply had a blown fuse. The 12v constant does NOT run through the "radio" fuse but actually through the "dome" one. Do your dome lights work? If not, then chances are there is your problem. Or just check the wires with a multimeter. I forget the colors but one should always have power and the other one should kick in when you turn the key to ON. I just bought 3 Pioneer bluetooth radios from Walmart because they were marked down for 40$ (came with 4 speakers each as well) and installed one in my MJ since the aux cord was getting another. It's awesome because the bluetooth one actually has an internal battery for maintaining the memory when the car battery is disconnected

I bought a Dual unit from Walmart around Thanksgiving. Installed it and the FM would fade out like I was going through a tunnel at times. The radio station is less than two miles away. Returned it to Walmart.

If your connections are correct and power exists, don't fight it, take that POS back. You post convinces me that is a garbage brand.

I would not doubt it, some time Walmart stuff is just crap. check the unit with a battery yellow and red to positive and black to negative. you will know quickly with it works or not.

I bought two Sony CDX G3100UP Car CD Receiver's, one for each jeep from frys when they had on sale for 19 dollars a piece on promo code last year. they are short because no cd player, it has tuner/AUX/USB. I just fill up with 300 sounds on usb and let it rip.

I had a Walmart radio in it, and it over heated when you put above 20. it was just under powered.

I had the same problem with " brake fluid" however its not brake fluid its clutch fluid. That's why its not a problem with your automatic. If your truck is a manual I would suggest cleaning your fuse block. I cleaned mine and the radio started working...... And the 12v radio wire could be pink or red just depends on the year..... mine was pink in my 89 Comanche.

I had the same problem with " brake fluid" however its not brake fluid its clutch fluid. That's why its not a problem with your automatic. If your truck is a manual I would suggest cleaning your fuse block. I cleaned mine and the radio started working...... And the 12v radio wire could be pink or red just depends on the year..... mine was pink in my 89 Comanche.

brake fluid IS clutch fluid. Both are DOT3 from factory. Best to refill the clutch with DOT5 from what I understand so the master cylinder has no chance of ruining your block when it eventually starts leaking.

I had the same problem with " brake fluid" however its not brake fluid its clutch fluid. That's why its not a problem with your automatic. If your truck is a manual I would suggest cleaning your fuse block. I cleaned mine and the radio started working...... And the 12v radio wire could be pink or red just depends on the year..... mine was pink in my 89 Comanche.

brake fluid IS clutch fluid. Both are DOT3 from factory. Best to refill the clutch with DOT5 from what I understand so the master cylinder has no chance of ruining your block when it eventually starts leaking.

My point was it was coming from the clutch not the brake.... members on this site from time to time take things literally. So its important to be specific with our information. They might look for the brake system leaking and not the clutch system.....thanks for the dot 5 info I might change my fluid to avoid future problems. 

I would return the Dual unit no matter what your problem is. Spend the little extra money and get a better unit. Like stated before the am/fm fades and overall the parts are just not good internally. It's worth spending the little extra.

I'm really confused. I tested the head unit with the battery trick. It works. My wiring is all correct (I even redid it all just to be safe), the wires are getting power, but it's still not working when I hook it up and try to turn it on.

Another vote for bad ground.

Sounds like you need to poke around with a test light. Check to make sure that power and ground actually exist where they're supposed to.

I can show you how to get aux on your stock radio if you can't get this working.