WJ lower control arm question(s)

First ,here's some background info :

1988 with OME 2934 lift coils , stock UCA's , Dana 30 with 31x10.50x15 tires with stock gambler wheels .

I'm in the process of installing my dana 30 4:10 axle along with new WJ LCA's , I've already cut the sleeves to the proper width and attempted to install the LCA's with the oval bushing on the frame side and the round at the axle side .

So here's where the problem starts , the top of the control arm is hitting the axle housing on both the shock bracket and the bracket that is directly below that, where the bolt that holds the LCA on goes through . It's not like it's barely touching either , I'm to the point where the truck is now starting to lift off of the jack stands and I think even if I get the bolt in the axle side of the LCA that I will get very little travel before they make contact .

So what course should I take ?

Notch the LCA for more clearance and weld it back together .

Use drop brackets to make the control arm sit more level .

I know people in the past have said to cut the axle bracket , but with the lift I don't see that being enough clearance and weakening the strength of the brackets too .

Other options / opinions / thoughts?

It's too dark to take pics right now , but I can tomorrow if it helps you to see what's going on . Thanks in advance

I just installed aftermarket LCA'S last week, can't say I had that problem, but I can say that the second arm was a real bear to get in. It didn't look like it would even come close, but I used a big pry bar to rotate the axle a bit, as well as shift it sideways. Then it slotted right in. Took some work though.

Sent from my SM-N900W8 using Tapatalk

Hmm. I didn't have any of those those problems, but am 2WD, maybe that makes a difference. Also you are taller than I am - your Jeep I mean. :yes: Did you check out Gojeep's writeup? May give you a hint. He used drop brackets though........

http://jeep-xj.info/HowtoWJcontrolarms.htm

That was one of write ups I had seen . Like you said , I think it's a combination of the height and lack of drop brackets .

can you share a pic of the interference?

I also trimmed the control arm where it was contacting the cab body.  I had no lift and all my trimming was purely for theoretical offroading perfection so I got full droop.   

Can I ask, why not use a more "traditional" angled/bent fixed/adjustable aftermarket control arm?

Sure you can ask . I'm looking to clear my 31s at full turn so they won't rub . I'm open to install arms that are bent like the WJ ones that are tubular etc .

Yep, tire clearance is their main purpose, but I also got a hell of a handling improvement up front due to the tubular WJ arm's better rigidity and the beefier bushings.

Can I ask, why not use a more "traditional" angled/bent fixed/adjustable aftermarket control arm?

Sure you can ask . I'm looking to clear my 31s at full turn so they won't rub . I'm open to install arms that are bent like the WJ ones that are tubular etc .

Yep, tire clearance is their main purpose, but I also got a hell of a handling improvement up front due to the tubular WJ arm's better rigidity and the beefier bushings.

same here. My front end overhaul of WJ arms, ZJ steering, and a newer style 2wd axle improved my steering SIGNIFICANTLY.

Here's a couple of shots of my left LCA. 1991 with OME 930 lift coils, stock UCA's, 2WD with 31x10.50x15 tires and stock turbine wheels .I installed mine with the wheels on, on the floor, no jack, and one side at a time. The axle didn't rotate at all, and had good clearance everywhere. Hope this helps..........

Do you have the axle raised to ride height? It looks like you gain clearance as the axle raises up.

I have the axle jacked up in the center , with the upper control arms attached and the LCA bolt holes lined up on on both sides . There should be no difference between that and having it on the ground .

And yes , I'd have more clearance as the axle moves upward . But when when going over bumps / potholes / trails etc I'm sure that there's going to be some serious clunking / banging going on .

:dunno:   Sorry Adam, no idea on this one, except to try flipping the LCAs and have the oval bush on the axle end. IIRC some of the guys mounted them like that. Pete maybe? They will work fine either way, and they might fit with better clearance on your 4WD Renix rig by reversing them.

Unsurprisingly mine looks just like Don's. On one side I was able to get it to line up by jacking, and on one side I used the bottle jack to push the axle forward. That doesn't look like it would help you though.

Might be due to the perspective but Don's control arm mounts look like they point "downhill" and yours look like they point "uphill". Of course, you don't have to worry about pinion angle on a 2WD but that's the main difference I see.

Here is where it's making contact with the lower bracket , this is with the front axle jacked up and it's barely lifted off of the jack stands .

now that is weird.  how much lift?  what do you have for upper control arms?

my arms were installed in the normal orientation.  clearance to that particular spot in the control arm mounts was tight, but my truck had no lift so if contact was to happen it would have been under droop and so I paid it no mind.