dreaded flickering headlight syndrome

so the manche has started with the flickering headlamps. having done some reading especially cruisers wright up. i'm gonna do tyhe harness upgrade. however i can

t find which one to purchace. the headlight bulb number in the owners manual is H-6052. i see no upgrade for that bulb. will another work as plug and play? 

87. 2.5 larado w/ AW4

UGH, guys my question is the putco web site says this,

Fitment Note: Bulb types vary by vehicle. Please verify that your vehicle uses a bulb type of H4 prior to ordering.

if my truck is using the H-6052 bulb as per the owners manual will this harnes be plug and play or will i need to buy the H-4 bulbs along with new sockets????

Putco H4 / 9003 Heavy Duty Headlight Upgrade Wiring Harness  
PUT230004HW_A.jpg
PUT.jpgItem

H4 / 9003 Heavy Duty Automotive Head Lamp Wiring Relays Kit from eAutoWorks. Works for 9003 / H4 Bulbs.

Bulb Type

H4 / 9003 Bulbs Only

Additional Info

For H4 / 9003 Type Light Bulb Use ONLY

Features

eAutoWorks H4 / 9003 Heavy Duty Headlight Upgrade Wiring Harness with Relay System Kit

Brighter headlight
Stock & after-market bulbs are brighter because the full battery voltage reaches the bulb.* Allows use of higher wattage bulbs without fear of overload - a fried wiring harness is expensive to replace. A must have to use with additional headlights. There are solid-state "relays" for both the high and low beams.

Heavy Duty Headlight Upgrade Wiring Set for H4 / 9003 Features: 

• Designed to endure high temperatures head lamp connector for high wattages bulbs
  • Heavy Gauge Wiring Set
  • Anti corrosive leap plated treatment to prevention ill-contact
  • Easy installation and maintenance
  • Works for H4 / 9003 bulbs
  • Existing headlight modulator. Just connect your existing headlight modulator's input into the kit's output

Fitment Note: Bulb types vary by vehicle. Please verify that your vehicle uses a bulb type of H4 prior to ordering.
  • Product Info
List Price: $61.58   Your Price: $44.95
(Save 27% off list)

Shipping: Standard Shipping Rate
ss-fs199up-prodpage.jpg
StockCode: PUT230004HW Availability: In Stock. Usually ships withing 24-48 hours.
Qty: 

Basic question: I know the small wiring in the factory harness restricts light output somewhat, but how can it cause flickering? In my experience, flickering headlights has been caused by the headlight switch failing.

In which case the headlights will continue flickering after the relay harness is installed, sure. And probably then the switch will get investigated. The harness is still a good idea though, eh?

Si. Put the harness in anyhow.

Don't get the Putco. I hated mine on my other Jeep. The Ebay one I bought was 20$ shipped and works/looks way better,

Hated it? That's kind of strong mate.  :yes:   I don't like the yellow loom, but the harness itself works just fine.

Basic question: I know the small wiring in the factory harness restricts light output somewhat, but how can it cause flickering? In my experience, flickering headlights has been caused by the headlight switch failing.

I agree ^^^ and as with any other electrical issue, always start at the battery....good clean terminals, serviceable cables, chassis grounds, etc....

Got to eliminate possible culprits or contributors first, I think I'd service the elec system and replace the switch, don't forget to tighten the switch connectors, (sometimes this is the cause, connectors that have loosened up over time).

And again, this doesn't mean you shouldn't be addressing a known issue that has caused electrical fires that have destroyed people's vehicles.

Simply replacing the switch is no help if it's just going to do the same thing again soon. If anything it'll make the problem more apparent, because the relays will lead to the lights either being on or off, and not somewhere in between due to a poor connection somewhere.

Is it just the headlights that flicker or do the dash lights flicker also?

just the headlights, why do you ask? would/could it be a different problem?
A previous car of mine had flickering headlights and dash lights, turned out to be a bad alternator. Probably not your problem.

In which case the headlights will continue flickering after the relay harness is installed, sure. And probably then the switch will get investigated. The harness is still a good idea though, eh?

Si. Put the harness in anyhow.

Don't get the Putco. I hated mine on my other Jeep. The Ebay one I bought was 20$ shipped and works/looks way better,

Hated it? That's kind of strong mate. :yes: I don't like the yellow loom, but the harness itself works just fine.

the yellow just ruined it for me. Stood out like crazy. I bought it back when I was dumb and didn't think to check Ebay for a black one. As far as it working, it got the job done for sure. But it was double the price of the Ebay ones and didn't come with fuses (or at least mine didn't) plus I didn't see the reason for two positive wire connections. Just crowded up my positive post even more. Nit picky, I know, but all of that led to my hate for it. Lastly the wire insulation started to deteriorate after about 8 months of being outside on the truck. Hate is a strong term... how about, strongly dislike? :D

Split loom. Black, looks almost factory, and keeps the insulation in good shape by reducing the effects of heat and friction.

Thanks Gog - never thought of that. Just covered it with split loom - it's now invisible.   :cheers: