nice 88 on ebay pulling in quite a few bids..CC Member possibly?

Newton

Anyone who swaps in a 350 and buys the adapter to mate it to a (hopefully) AX-15 is probably not smart enough to swap in a better rear axle...  For all anyone knows they could have bolted that thing to the Peugeot though...

The ad says they bolted the 350 to the original transmission. It really does sound like they stuck a 350 in front of a Peugeot. Bet it still has a 35 in the back too. Two ticking time bombs for the price of one!

Another thing I just noticed. They mention the "vacuum actuated 4wd system" - so instead of locking the CAD or putting in a one piece axle, they cut a hole in the floor and put a lever in the cab. Why? The CAD fix is very well known. Questionable decision #2.

All of the holes cut for gauges everywhere. They probably either didn't know to or didn't want to get the Jeep full cluster working with the new engine. Some people like that look but for me it's questionable decision #3. That gauge bezel is pretty sweet though.

Why did they feel the need to cut a bunch of holes in the dash for switches? It would look a million billion times better if they used the original switches in the original locations. There's even a blank switch panel on the left side of the steering wheel. Questionable decision #4.

We have a tradition of relentlessly picking apart trucks for sale here - this one looks nice but if DC and I are correct about the trans and rear end there is absolutely reason for it this time. The haphazard gauges and the weird lever on the floor are just my opinion but the trans and rear end (once again, if it still has the D35) are inexcusable. I might sound like an a$$hole but for 10 grand, it better stand up to scrutiny and this one just doesn't IMO. I wonder what the reserve was - and why the bidding jumped from $2075 to over $10,000.

I don't know. Unless more has been done to that 350 than all the shiny parts, it could still be pushing about the same power and not all that much more torque than a 4.0. An early 80's 350 in a truck was only making around 160hp and 250lb-ft, compared to the first Renix 4.0 with 175 and 225. The ba10 and d35 would probably hold up to street use, and least for a while.

I don't know. Unless more has been done to that 350 than all the shiny parts, it could still be pushing about the same power and not all that much more torque than a 4.0. An early 80's 350 in a truck was only making around 160hp and 250lb-ft, compared to the first Renix 4.0 with 175 and 225. The ba10 and d35 would probably hold up to street use, and least for a while.

I spy at least a decent intake manifold, and a set of headers, a real distributor, and no evidence of smog equipment.  If it's been tuned decently it's probably making a fair amount more torque than a Renix.  I would predict total trans and rear end meltdown in short order with the right driver.  They obviously did have some penchant for flair, as is evidence by all the fake braided hoses and crap, so it is hard to say if the mods are only skin deep.

But as said, for that money I would hope not to be getting a BA-10/5 and a D35.

If I was to do a SBC or any sort of GM swap and wanted a 5 speed, it would be a NV4500 without a second thought.  Adapters are a waste of money when it already bolts up...

The absolute bottom of the barrel of 350s from the very worst of the malaise era still make 15-25 ft-lb more torque than a Renix 4.0. The Peugeot would barely be considered adequate behind the Renix 4.0's 225 ft-lb of torque in a completely stock vehicle. I'm not a Chevy guy but let's assume that the only thing done is intake and exhaust - so that would put our theoretical 350 at a very minimum of about 270 ft-lb or so. If it's a real motor and not just yanked out of Billy Bob's '83 C10 it's gonna be considerably more than that. I still think that Peugeot's future life is going to be short and very violent, and that's if the D35 doesn't turn into glitter first. And let's be honest, who's going to be gentle on a V8 manual Comanche? I sure wouldn't swap a V8 in just to drive like a grandma. I'd drive the $#!& out of that thing every chance I could.

Just an update...this thing just sold for a lil over 13 grand..damn someone must have really wanted that comanche but if what u guys are saying about that trans and the d35 i think the new owner is in for a big surprise...