Tow mirror doors

I'm having trouble making up my mind and I'd like some input. My recently acquired MJ had tow mirrors at some point in the past which have since been removed. Sadly this leaves ugly holes in the doors:

f89b8da54bf52e84f31d733154bea79a.jpg

I don't like the look of the tow mirrors so I'd like to patch the holes. But I'm wondering if it would be easier and/or cheaper to source some doors from a Cherokee rather than paying a body shop to patch the holes. I suppose I could get a quote from a body shop, but I wanted to get some opinions from you guys first.

I also have to replace the vent window glass on the passenger side door so that's another reason why I'm leaning towards getting new doors.

If I go the new door route, I think I would try to find 96 or earlier doors because I want to maintain the original look on the inside AND I don't want to mess with all the electronics for power windows & locks. Ideally they wouldn't have vent windows at all, but I don't know if that's possible without going to a 97+ door.

Eventually I'm going to get the whole truck repainted anyway.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

After mulling it over some more I'm thinking it might be difficult to find some non-power doors, even from an XJ. I don't see any on my local Craigslist and no one is gonna ship an entire door. I might be better off having a body shop take a look at it. Heck, it might even be something I could patch myself, but I have no auto body experience.

You're not the only one with this problem buddy... my comanche has the same thing but it has had all three types of mirrors at some point. I've been going over this same question to my self so I'll be keeping up with this one. My passenger door has some body damage as well so I was thinking of totally replacing it as well, but you're making it sound like it would not be that simple? Am I just reading your post wrong?

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk

Glad to know I'm not alone :) I think the hardest part would be finding a new non-power door locally. And the likelihood of the color matching would be slim. I believe the swap itself should be simple.

What color is your truck... there are a bunch of cherokees with good doors here in TN, i wasnt too worried about the paint matching since I'll be getting a paint job as soon as I have the money, but bow that I think about it I think I'll need a red so the door jams will match and all

I guess that's true, it doesn't have to be power. Good point, see that's why I wanted to post on here just in case I was missing something!

My truck is white. Yeah I'm planning to get my truck panted too, would just have to have the door jambs done as well.

I am planning on hitting the junkyards this coming weekend if nothing comes up, I can look to see if i can find white doors if you'd like. I'm the shipping and receiving guy at my job so I can find out exactly what it would cost for shipping to where you're at if you'd like

While you are at it, you might want to consider replacing your wing windows with the fixed ones.  Some people love their wing windows, others don't like them (easier to break into, leaks).  It's very common to find fixed windows on the later model XJs.  If you want to keep them, they could be swapped into your new doors along with your manual window stuff.

Very generous offer! I think I'm gonna get a quote from a body shop first but I appreciate it.

I found a local parts XJ on Craigslist that has red doors for sale, so if nothing else works out maybe that will.

@schardein I just found some fixed vent windows in great condition on eBay tonight and snagged them up. If I don't end up using them I can always resell

I'm having trouble making up my mind and I'd like some input. My recently acquired MJ had tow mirrors at some point in the past which have since been removed. Sadly this leaves ugly holes in the doors:

f89b8da54bf52e84f31d733154bea79a.jpg

I'm interested in the wing windows when you go to fixed.....

I think I had it in my mind that you had to convert to 97+ doors in order to have power windows. But after looking around it doesn't look like that's the case?

I just want to keep the original door panel look and the 97+ doors throw that off.

I'm interested in the wing windows when you go to fixed.....

The passenger side glass was broken and is removed now, drivers side is fine. They aren't in the greatest condition but PM me if you're still interested.

Hornbrod, do you have a link to a write up on how to do the conversion? I'm curios to see how "easy" it would be

I did mine by swapping in new XJ aftermarket power regulators and stock switches, then making a wiring harness to hook everything up. Others have simply swapped the regulators, switches and a harness from an XJ using junkyard parts. Either way it's not difficult. I don't know of any writeups done on this, but I can send you a wiring harness diagram if you want.

Those look really good hornbrod. Seems silly now but I just learned that you don't have to convert to 97+ doors to have power windows/locks :) I'm definitely open to it in the future now.

As things stand right now, I'm leaning towards going with the body shop route with the existing doors. I'm at least going to get a quote, can't hurt.

I want to eventually put power windows/locks in the 91 just because I think it sounds like a fun project, especially since it's becoming more luxury by the day. I could take or leave crank windows but sometimes they can be a pain, especially if I want the passenger window down. Sometimes I think about retrofitting a factory RF keyless entry system, but that probably won't happen for a few reasons.

Now that the OP's question is answered we can think out loud about stuff that won't ever happen, right? :doh: