Drivers side top shock

How the hell are you supposed to get this bolt off? Ratcheting wrench? It's a 14mm and the brake fluid resivior is right above it. Two piece ratchet extension? Can't fit a wrench...

My cherokee was a lot easier to get them out.

The last thing holding the damn axle on the mj...

How the hell are you supposed to get this bolt off? Ratcheting wrench? It's a 14mm and the brake fluid resivior is right above it. Two piece ratchet extension? Can't fit a wrench...

My cherokee was a lot easier to get them out.

The last thing holding the damn axle on the mj...

any of your ideas work.

the next thing is to loosen the reservoir...which I don't advise. you CAN get a wrench in there, I've done it.

Hate to break it to you, but the Comanche and the Cherokee are exactly the same front chassis, and the shocks go into both exactly the same way.

I've found it's easiest to drop a box-end wrench over the nut inside the engine compartment, then reach into the wheel well and turn the shock.

Hate to break it to you, but the Comanche and the Cherokee are exactly the same front chassis, and the shocks go into both exactly the same way.

I've found it's easiest to drop a box-end wrench over the nut inside the engine compartment, then reach into the wheel well and turn the shock.

Agreed. Just crack the nut loose, and then turn the shock itself. Much faster, and easier.

A 1998 and 1988 might look a little different under the hood... :cheers:

The difference is that the fluid reservoir is in the way on the 88.

There's nearly nothing in the way on the '98. You could use a ratchet or a wrench without any problem.

Should I take a picture? I could tomorrow. It's much, much different. The antifreeze reservoir for one, along with the positioning of the brake fluid reservoir. I can take a pic if it's this big of a deal :D

I took my air box out, and put a box wrench over hte nut. I had to use a pipe wrench on the shock to hold it in place because the nut was rusty, and I couldnt hold it in my hand.

The passanger side is so much easier. 8)

Hate to break it to you...

That was pretty condescending considering the differences.

2488225_15_full.jpg

97-01 are all the same. Just slip a long angled open or closed spanner over the nut, reach underneath and spin the shock until the spanner rests against something solid, like the block, put a pipe wrench or BF channel locks on the upper shock body and turn.

Dude,

No offence meant. But remove the washer res and take it off. Now you have plenty of room. I have done them at least 4 times on my MJ alone!!

I mean there is a little harder with the MC there but not that bad. Ratchet wrenches DO make many jobs easier. But not a necessity in this case.

If the shock turns or the nut is rusted, use the penetrating oil and grab the shock with vice grips or Twistys pipe wrench Idea is a good one as well. Heck, if the old shocks are bad, Just grab the shaft with vice grips, what do you care if you mark up the shaft on a bad shock??

When you put in the new ones, only tighten enough to compress the bushing to the dia of the steel washer, no more.

Good luck, you will get it!!

CW