Rusty's

I just bought a brand new 1989 4.0 autp sb 4x4 Comanche. I've lifted two XJs, but never an MJ. I've been searching for a lift that's around 6-8". Rusty's offers long arms in that range. Are they a good lift? I plan on daily driving the MJ so I need a good balance of road manners and wheeling ability.

Your gonna find mixed opinions conserning Rustys products.

Some of the biggest problems:

1) Fitment. Not so good, parts need "adjustment" to get to fit.

2) Welds, many sub standard, with poor penetration.

3) Customer service is spotty at best. Saying an item was shipped when infact it was there sitting on the floor.

Personally I avoid them. The only way I would buy from them would be if it was for a product the DO NOT manufacturer.

Before you ask, YES I have had all these things happen to me personally. I have also read problems form other people.

CW

EDIT... I forgot... seems they only hire employees named "RUSTY" as every male there I spoke to was so named! :D :eek:

jamminz.gif congrats on comanche buy! On Rusty stuff heard lotta negative. And for the price of their lift why bother? The rear end is just a spring over, which you can do with a friend and for like 50 bucks. And the front is just like an Xj, so you should be able to handle that being that you lifted two already. The only real difference in the MJ than an XJ is that the MJ leaf springs are longer. So I hope that helps you some. Also, with varying opinions, is the http://www.rockyroad.com/ SOA 5.5 lift for the MJ, which for a daily driver may work for you without breaking the bank account. Good luck with it man.

Rusty's long arm kit is really booty fab, redneck "engineering." If you want to go that high and use long arms, get Clayton's long arm kit.
Claytons, I have yet to hear bad about. They are also great with customer service. They also didnt have a ZJ kit in stock for my buddy, and they rushed to get the thing built, boxed and shipped by the end of the week, and he ordered on a wednesday, it shipped friday, and he had it monday.

Yeah, I'd piece together used parts if I was you for the front. You'd save alot of coin by letting someone else take the initial hit. Get longarms from one guy, a track bar from another, and coils from another.

For the rear, get some new spring perches to weld on, and then run an add-a-leaf, blocks, or shackles for the rest of the lift.

I've had one great experience with Rusty's, and one 'eh' experience.

Or you could use these and piece it together and tell the "All Rusytys stuff is junk cause if you want to do a spring over you could do this or that' people to do some research before they open their mouth.

http://rustysoffroad.com/mm5/merchant.m ... _Code=Leaf

They are spring under like stock but 4 inches of lift.

My MJ had a set of these when I got it. The fit and quality appears great, and the lift is perfect. YMMV

Or you could use these and piece it together and tell the "All Rusytys stuff is junk cause if you want to do a spring over you could do this or that' people to do some research before they open their mouth.

My MJ had a set of these when I got it. The fit and quality appears great, and the lift is perfect. YMMV

I agree, I have them as well.....RUSTYS don't MAKE THEM!!!

CW

I agree, I have them as well.....RUSTYS don't MAKE THEM!!!

CW

My Rancho AAL 3 inch lift is starting to sag slightly in the rear, I was considering buying that pack from Rusty's, just out of curiosity does anyone know who makes them?

i never had any problems with the stuff i bought from rustys. fast shipment and the springs i got were great.

but don't buy the drop trackbar bracket. i had it its only 3/16th thick and due to it moveing the track bar down and having more leverage on the frame i think the bracket flexed enough while driving to be A cause of death wobble. and after a while it could crack your frame without reinforcement.

but that is my personally theory.

I would buy a TNT again before I would even consider a rustys. The groung clearence with the TNT is just as awesome as the way it flexes. The fit and customer service was great. Plus the way it all mounts to the belly pan and the way the belly pan is bolted to the MJ nothing is going anywhere with the TNT kit. Just my .02.