4.0 Stroker engine controls

I'm currently 'restoring' an 88 MJ that I intend to put a stroker in. Still haven't made up my mind on which 'era' of engine controls I want to use though. I have most of the parts to use the original Renix controls (I lack some auto specific parts) but have a non vacuum era transfer case that I want to use. I have the electronics and wiring harnesses from an OBDII era XJ, but am not in favor of dealing with potential airbag issues. I don't have any OBD1 electronics, but realize that may be a good middle ground (non vacuum front axle/tcase, no potential airbag problem).

So now that the situation's been explained... I'm looking for opinions and advice on which system would make for a good daily driver stroked 4.0. As well as which head, intake, and exhaust would be best (again, I have a Renix and OBDII setup, but not an OBD1).

Here's a link to a fairly recent page in the buildup (teardown?) thread of the local forum. http://www.wnyoffroad.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=723&start=75

The vac axle doesn't change anything. Renix era MJ/XJs had either. The 4wd indicator has to be swapped possibly.

Unless you're talking an electronic drive speedometer on the tcase.... In which case the cable setup is a direct swap (the parts are interchangable, I finially went out and checked).

OBD anything sucks, IMHO. I don't care for it.

I have the entire electrical harness, and ECU out of my old 93 XJ, it was a 5spd, but should be easy to adapt (I think there is a tranny add-in harness???), but I'm not sure if the ecu would need to be reprogrammed, or swapped completely. You know how to get a hold of me.

I have a 98 head, but I'm not sure I want to use it due to the possible higher compression.

The cable speedometer is a minus. I have a 97 242 case that will go in. So I would have to switch to another system. I forgot about the Renix era 242 still being non-vac.

I don't mind OBD too much, but do not want to deal with any possible airbag issues from either era.

The Renix knock sensor is a really big plus. Then it becomes a matter of whether or not I'm willing to retrofit Renix sensors and such onto a newer head and intake.

Megasquirt? Interesting... Easily tuned?

Won't the 242 use the speedo gear from the case you have now. I thought it would. You can also make the axle disco happen by electric switches on the vac line and all you ahve to do is add a lunchbox locke in the front and its like a selectable.

Are you good with wiring and know how to solder? Get a Megasquirt. Fully adjustable home made ECU and its $250. I plan on getting one eventually, just a matter of time and money.

AARON

Spend the few extra bucks and get Electromotive Tec3. It's a TON better setup, and does quite a bit more.

Yes I'm saying Megasquirt is junk.. 8)

Spend the few extra bucks and get Electromotive Tec3. It's a TON better setup, and does quite a bit more.

Yes I'm saying Megasquirt is junk.. 8)

So how much more are we talking over a Megasquirt? Are you comparing this to the older mega unit or the newer 3x version? Cause I see nothing wrong with the newer version and its super cheap compared to the Accel DFI unit that Hesco sells for $1600.

AARON

Maybe a Link ECU. it hooks to a laptop and you can run real time dynos just doing your daily routine, and record the info onto the laptop live, or download it later. Its a kick @$$ setup, and they are always improving it. I think it runs kinda pricey though, but can be adapted to just about any engine out there thats fuel injected, even some diesels!

Probably a very stupid question, but I haven't owned or dealt with any Renix era 242 equipped Jeeps. I know all 242s are non-disconnect axles, and it's been said that the cable assembly swaps over.

Are there any differences in the speedo assembly (cable drive, long gear, etc.) between a Renix era 231 and 242? What about a Renix era 242 and external slip yoke era 242? Just the tailhousing of the case gets swapped and that covers those differences?