Cut Bed (lower quarters)

The best thing to use would be a body saw. they are small air saws but they use jig saw blades. Much easier to cut straight. Also tape out your line with thick masking tape to help you stay straight. If you so this please take lots of pics and do a write up. I have been wanting to do this but i can't decide if i want to cut liek your pic or just cut at the next bend in the quarter right below that one. Hope that helps some but i will say start at the tire side and go back so that it stays rigid longer. and you may need to put a bottle jack or wedge something in between the sheet metal and frame so i don't flop. When i cut my fenders i had to wedge a stick up in it so it would cut with my sawzall.

Cole

I think I'm just going to cut the rear most quarters out. I'm curious if anyone has done this and if they just cut them off, or did a cut and fold method like is common on the XJ's. I'd probably prefer to do a cut and fold method, but I'm not sure it's even possible on the MJ bed???

I'd have to say... just cut em with a grinder with a 5" disc.

Werd. I have the best control myself with a grinder.

Doesn't the tape help your paint from chipping?

:bowdown: we've had the same 5" angle grinder for years, chopped all sorts of stuff, great with straight lines.

problem with the grinder is that it heats up the sheetmetal, and then the paint next to the cut line bubbles.

At least that's what happened when I cut the front fenders with a grinder.

Try a thinner disc! If your careful a disc works fine. A sawsall also works well, you just need a steep angle. Otherwise it just shakes the tar out of you and the truck!!

As far as the rear lower quarters. My pop "altered" mine last wek end on the trail. Untill now, I wasnt going to do anything...but now they are really looking trashy. I may make up something to attach to the bumper and frame and chop the lower 5-6" off.

I have seen simular things on Wranglers and Cherokees.

CW

I may make up something to attach to the bumper and frame and chop the lower 5-6" off.

I suggest taking a look at this Pirate thread for 4Runner bumpers.

4Runners have taller tailgates than Pickups, so it's similar to cutting the lowers on a Manche.

http://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/showthread.php?t=482618

Post #17 on there would continue the diamond plate thing you have going, but I don't know if it'd match your tube tire gate so much.

Hi-ya! Threadjack Ninja!

Well I cut the rears. I think I'm going to just leave the front quarters as they are actually in fairly decent shape. Rock rails will protect them on the trail...

I used some door trim molding to cover the cut. I know it dosn't got all the way to the fender well, but the TJ flares will cover that.

My rear bumper build will consist of covering under the tail lights and than go somewhat with the lines of the cut quarters to help protect them.

100_1366.jpg

100_1365.jpg

Be careful when using a thin cutoff wheel on an angle grinder and cutting curves in the metal. The discs will break and become flying wheels of destruction. But it does work well and won't heat the metal too much if done right.