Brook's 89 SporTruck

23676112684_eed6b0e7ed_b.jpg

1989 Comanche Sportruck with 90,000 on the body

Complete 97-01 Swap  and 4x4 conversion. - engine, transmission, transfer case, dash, doors, fenders, grill from a 97 Cherokee 160,000 miles

Rear 8.25 re-geared to 4.56

Front Dana 30 re-geared to 4.56

Advanced Adaptors SYE

Rough Country Long Arm Kit

RE 5.5 springs

Rear SOA Conversion

BDS Shocks

Rear Disk Brake Conversion

Hanson Rear Bumper

JCR Front Bumper with LED fog light Kit

New Exhaust and Cat (to meet the Idaho emissions requirements)

Pro Comp 7069 Series wheels 16x 8

Toyo Open Country MT 285/75/16 Tires

Rough Country track bar

Rough Country Sway bar links

H4 Headlight conversion with relay harness and 65/100w bulbs

Installed a factory sliding rear glass

Steering box brace

New Steering Damper

New Battery

New Alternator

New Radiator

New Instrument Cluster

New door gaskets

Tail Gate cables

New Turn signal switch

New Carpet

Sound deadening Hushmat

And more to come... I still haven't finished the overhead console / trip computer.. so there is no dome light or visors either.

also need fender flares soon, I am planning on Bushwackers but I'm not sure between flat ones and the traditional Bushwackers?

also plan on getting a black soft-topper, I had one on my Ram and really liked it.

Re-install the back glass as it leaks when it pours hard

..and get a front windshield gasket.. its super noisy on the freeway

I need to fix the AC yet too

Also it bugs me that the driver door mirror is not heated while the passenger side is.. the doors came from different jeeps.. so just a little thing but it'll get changed

Future plan is to step up to 35" tires after the flares are on

Get a new front bumper and winch

and some sort of lockers, I left both diffs open as it was cheaper and I didn't really know what to get for a daily driver in the snow..

Rock Sliders

Supercharger or Stroker

This is my daily driver, to date I have put 19,670 miles on it since I started driving it 12 months ago, my wife and I are planning a 4000 mile trip down Baha in it in Spring

So here is the beginning, 

23677489433_5b5f3e2e81.jpg

I bought it with the 97 swap already cobbled together in November of 2015.  My first Jeep!  I was looking to get a Cherokee as a daily driver, but I have always liked trucks more, and I like projects.  I didn't know what a Comanche was at that point because originally being from WI where the roads get salted there just simply are none left.  When I saw this listed on craigslist as a 89/97 Cherokee Sportruck I was really intrigued.  I met the guy a couple days later and bought it without driving it.  It was running but not drive-able.. I limped it home across Boise at 15 miles per hour because of the worst death wobble ever imaginable.  It needed a complete suspension rebuild, as well as re-gearing, (front was different than the back and neither were appropriate gears for the totally shot 35s on it), a new alternator, a couple gas leaks fixed, new radiator, the dash cluster fixed, as well as most of the steering wheel and column switches (cruise, turn signal etc..) .... the list goes on and on.  It was multiple colors, as was the interior.. one door panel was grey, and the other black, it was full of trash as the owner had lived in it briefly.

I ended up finishing it over the course of 6 months, after the first month in the garage, and at the point it became road worthy it became my daily driver and I sold my 11 Ram sport.

24236278881_2ce6b3ef2a_b.jpg

First weekend driving it.. I decided I would spray paint the hood and grill so I sanded all the loose pealing old paint off, I'm a newbe at bodywork at this point. It stayed like this for 3 months actually without getting much done to it except for the maintenance it needed to keep driving.  

To get it to this point I worked on it for a month, First thing I got was the new 16" alloy rims and Toyo tires.. they are close to a 33 x 11.5 ( ill check the size again later)  I went through tons of clearance issues with the suspension arms, I ended up putting Rough Country long arms on it, with RE 5.5 springs in the front.  I welded new spring mounts on the back axle as the previous ones had been done to wide.  In the process of grinding the old ones off the fuel pump lit on fire due to sparks.. so luckily the truck was spared from the flames and it also got a new fuel pump.  (my tank and pump is from a 98 Dakota to have the correct matching ohms for the 97 instrument cluster).  The gas gauge still didn't work at this point which would take a ton of trouble shooting latter on.. and an eventual new Dorman re manufactured cluster to the tune of $600 Ouch!  I payed a local shop to re-gear both axles the Dana 35 front and 8.25 to 4.56.    

I hoped in and drove it to Portland the day after I got it on the road with the new gears... It pulled terribly and the first modification it got when I got back to Boise was a steering box brace.  It ran good for the total of 900 mile trip until I was about 3 miles from home coming back into Boise and the alternator died.  I bought a new battery that night to get it home. It took me about 3 weeks to figure out it was the alternator,  I took it and had it bench tested twice and it tested good both times.. but the thing was intermittent and I got stuck one more time in the boonies a couple weeks later when it quit charging again.

I eventually changed all the interior parts to black, took out the seats and shampooed them several times, put in new carpet and floor mats, and changed the switches in the driver door to a 2 door model from parts I bought on ebay. (no need for rear window switches on a 2 door)  I also fixed loads of wiring issues with the old harness under the floor, and shortened the parking brake cable so it didn't have a big loop in it.  I wish I had pictures of all of it, but here is the couple I found before and after. I also used hushmat on the whole cab.

23734284243_0c3f45433d_z.jpg

23993313019_357bb60591_z.jpg

23993932399_18dd72ab7a_z.jpg

• Disk brake conversion done, new shock mounts, new ubolts and plates over the rear springs, and an extra short leaf I cut and put in cause the back was squatting a little. Before putting it back together I also ran new rear brake lines and a rear proportioning valve and stainless line to the axle. Also new exhaust and cat is visible that I had put on a couple months earlier. 23732911764_70b545b428_z.jpg

• 23734282293_40d1d42c24_z.jpg

Paint job work, I did the whole job in 4 weeks. Did all the body work and primer in my garage then took it to the shop my buddy works at to have it painted in the booth, single stage Comando Green with Limco Supreme paint.  Its relatively cheap paint, the whole job cost me about 1500 mostly sandpaper and primer.  I welded up several holes in the side of the bed and tailgate, removed the metal tailgate linkages and put some newer style cables on it as well.  I did the hood, grill, tailgate, bed and fenders first. Then did the cab and doors separate... not enough room to work on it all at once.

23734283493_969c42118c_z.jpg

24065530150_85fe1a9ece_z.jpg

23993313759_b3c9ef3b33_z.jpg

23734283173_c38e80c9b6_z.jpg

23734283063_0c056d2a9d_z.jpg

24334907756_86bf33c940_z.jpg

24252871472_121ab673af_z.jpg

23734282823_329ea4e942_z.jpg

Final Assembly; I put the whole thing back together and worked the bugs out in three days and took it on a 1700 mile road trip to Wisconsin.. I only live in Idaho in winter so I was in a real crunch for time to get back to WI.  I actually went a week over as I only had 3 weeks for the paint when I started, I was supposed to leave for WI the 16th of April but didn't end up ready to go till the 22nd.

. 23993313299_27bfc5fbd7_z.jpg

Pics of the Hanson rear Bumper and JCR front... I really really really wish I had got one I could mount a winch too.. duh this is my first jeep :( now I need a new bumper..

24334907176_7033c14937_z.jpg

23732910874_76bd9933a2_z.jpg

24252870962_95a0c0d2f7_z.jpg

Loaded up and heading through Wyoming!

24278624251_a012cc0b97_z.jpg

Thanks!

I am planning to put some flares on it.  I work in Canada in summer and up there you are supposed to have mud flaps too.. so for the sake of hopefully not getting pulled over I am going to add some flares.  I actually have gotten a lot of rock chips already too.

I had fit the original Comanche ones on to the new style front fenders before I painted it, but then I used a black rhino bed liner spray on them and they bubbled really bad even with plastic adhesion promoter and the proper prep work.. I had to throw them out:(  plus they looked so glossy they just looked terrible.

So I am trying to decide now between more originals from the junk yard, or bushwackers, or flat bushwackers.. what do you think?  I am kind of leaning toward the flat ones as I don't see a ton on Comanches with them.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...

27740883401_74e9edea4f_b.jpg

Its taken me for ever to get around to getting back on here, but here is the most recent update; the big change is the Napier Precision Products fender flares!  which really look good on the truck.  I have been driving it for 2 years now as my daily driver with no intention of stopping! Life got busy, I got married, I move several times a year for work, so other than the flares nothing much has happened with it aside from putting 32,000 miles on it. .  I finally have some time this week and the goal is to try to finally finish the overhead console /computer and visors, get a new windshield, and side mirrors on (one is not heated, while the other is pitted and rusting badly on the mirror surface), as well as update the steering box to a high ratio box from a ZJ.  After 6 1800+ mile road trips I am getting tired of the steering. 

• 4 weeks later...