gogmorgo

Сделано в СССР

I made a thing today!

For less than an hour's work and under $15 in materials, I'm questioning why I didn't do it long ago. This is a TON of fun. All cars should start like this.

cj89bzurqp6ft3mkjpx3.jpg

Unfortunately I've canceled the rego on the Niva for the time being. The transmission's input shaft seal started leaking, and I lost fifth gear in New York. It made the trip back in 4th, but there are not-so-great sounds coming from my brand-new transmission, and the clutch did not care much at all for the 4000+ mile oil bath, and by the time I made it home was slipping above 1/2 throttle. So it'll be sitting where it's parked until that gets addressed.

I take it the car was already set ip for that? Also i find it weird that a car built in 96 has a hand crank start thing.

i find it weird that a car built in 96 has a hand crank start thing.

Welcome to the world of Russian engineering.

Yeah, apparently they weren't equipped with the bumpers with holes and the fancy crank nut for much longer after mine was built. At that point it was more of a gimmick than anything else, although back in the 70's (and even today somewhat) it's a hell of a walk out of most of Russia if your starter packs it in, and for the dollar or two it costs at production scale, it's a handy backup. Most crank handles went AWOL like mine did several owners ago though, but people who have them still use them regularly, as it's a great way to turn the engine over while re-tensioning the timing chain, which needs done every oil change.

If I were stranded out in the Siberian steppes in the middle of winter with a semi-dead battery, I would definitely like to have this option.   :yes:

Or any other number of things.

A couple months after I bought it, the week after it was legal to be on the road, I hit a wash out at the bottom of a coolee way off the grid, and parked in a swamp. Five mile hike back to my friend's place. We dragged it out the next morning. I was going up one side, she was headed up the other, and as I turned around I stalled it. Hit the key and nothing. I look up and watch her truck disappear over the top. Five mile hike later I was less than impressed.

I won't ever exclude myself from the line of idiots who owned this Niva, but knowing what it had been equipped with from the factory and that The reason I was walking was one of the idiots before me couldn't keep a handle on his handle... I wasn't the happiest guy in the world.

I wasn't hugely inspired to make a handle at the time, but was keeping an eye out. It wasn't long ago I stumbled over the diagram and recommendation to make my own which is when it occurred to me to do such a thing.

Needless to say now though mine's staying in the vehicle unless I'm using it.