Swapping Interior

Would this interior swap over into my 1988 Comanche Pioneer 4.0L manual?  How much of it is specific to the 4.0 HO? I have manual doors locks and mirrors in my Jeep.  I was wanting to switch to tan or grey interior and power options.

http://cosprings.craigslist.org/cto/5105655493.html

1995 Jeep Cherokee Country

This is my current interior:

Everything aside from the cluster should swap. B pillar trim is MJ specific as well as headliner. Would need to make a whole in the door panel for the window crank.

I'd want to convert to automatic windows and door locks and auto mirrors.  With the right components those should swap over too?  What about the air bagged steering wheel? I like the look of my steering wheel better but it's maroon.

I have a factory Tan interior in my 88 that looks almost identical to that.  As was said the B pillar trim and headliner are going to be the only parts you need to source from an MJ, otherwise the rest should swap.  If the wheel concerns you, try to find an early MJ/XJ wheel from a truck with a tan interior, that should match better.  My factory wheel is tan and matches the dash.

I have a factory Tan interior in my 88 that looks almost identical to that.  As was said the B pillar trim and headliner are going to be the only parts you need to source from an MJ, otherwise the rest should swap.  If the wheel concerns you, try to find an early MJ/XJ wheel from a truck with a tan interior, that should match better.  My factory wheel is tan and matches the dash.

Awesome.  Thank you.

While I'm at it, if I decide to buy this Cherokee, would the AX-15 swap over fairly easy?

As long as you swap it over with the transfer case, then it should be fairly straight forward.  In fact, with a whole parts car you could swap it over without having to buy much.  You will need a pilot bushing/bearing to match your renix crank I.D. to the O.D. of the external slave input shaft.  If you do a bit of searching you can find the bushing easily enough

Basically, you'll need to find these things to have the "full" swap:

- Headliner

- Carpet

- Seats if you want them to fold forward (you do)

- Rear cab trim (both the plastic and carpet parts)

- B pillar trim

- Lower door opening trim

- '94 or earlier steering column and wheel

- Possibly the A pillar trim. I don't remember if these are the same or not.

Everything else will swap from the XJ with little to no work. I strongly suggest taking the VIN tag from your dash and putting it on the new dash.

*%&^$&^%$ Those bagged columns are fugly! These are all stand alone in the column (trigger/impact sensor) without a computer.
FYI, these columns have a mechanical "safety" that needs to be engaged before you pull the wheel/bag...see manual.

I wonder if you swapped in a non bagged column, how would you get the cruise to work?

• 1 month later...
  • 4 years later...