Fluid Changing ???

What is the best way to fill and remove fluid from the t-case and tranny.

T-CASE

The t-case I found that a ¾ socket plug on the bottom (caution this is spring loaded and has a piece of metal at the end of the spring) of the t-case I removed it and fuild came out is this right. Now how do I fill it there is 2 BIG plugs on the back one higher than the other so my guess is that is were the filler plug right??

TRANNY

The tranny I take it is that female plug on the back of the tranny take that out and then fill from the top of the tranny. Or that is what I have heard here is this right.

How much gear oil do I need for the tranny. And the t-case take ATF so how much??

Any tips would be nice what to do not to do.

Thanks Watson

hey that is way i asked it looked like that was a drain plug i mean hell it was on the bottom of the t-case and looked like it was a way to drain the t-case. :oops:

So how do you but it in right i mean i just but it back in like it came out plug spring and metal thing. So yeah i think i put it in right??

Also i guess it would be nice to no that i am running a stock 5 speed. So no tranny pan

The body is 89 the drive train is out of an 87 sport truck 4x4 5 speed 4.0 the front axle is a 91 Cherokee and the rear end is out of a 97 Explore so I don’t no what year it is really reminds me of a Johnny Cash song.

Then the trans is a Peugeot BA-10 and you'll need to fashion a square drive to remove the plugs. Most guys take an old 3/8" ratchet extension and grind it down to fit snug. If I remember right they are both on the passenger side of the trans. It's been a while since I've had one so hopefully someone else will chime in.

And from now on, always, always, always, make sure you can remove the fill plug before you remove the drain plug. Just in case you have difficulties with the fill plug. :cheers:

Rokhound.....I remenber that song ;)

Anywho.....here's some pictures for you....and other's

11074744_1024.ts1181094362000.jpg

The top picture is a BA10, and use Pete's idea for the "wrench"

11074758_1024.ts1181094380000.jpg

And that is the T-case.....with instructions ;)

I don't remenber how much ATF the T-case takes....2 qts or so, but when it comes out the fill hole.....you got it.

The BA10 takes 4.5 pts for '87, and '88 -'89 take 4.9 pts. SAE 75W-90

I use a "suction gun" to fill both, put hose in can, pull back rod to load gun, put tube in fill hole, and push rod in and fill. Works best for me.

Thanks guys for all the input. I no damn newbie but that is why this board rocks jamminz.gif You guys laugh at me but add great info

Yeah, but you have the best avatar on the forum. I have one of those guys living in my back yard. Eats my garden, cleans out my bird feeder, and has taken numerous direct hits with a pellet gun. Got to admire his bawls........ :D :D

I found that if you take the tranny cross member out, hoist the engine, and then let the tranny hang down, the fluid comes out pretty good. :teehee:

I found that if you take the tranny cross member out, hoist the engine, and then let the tranny hang down, the fluid comes out pretty good. :teehee:

I have the front end lifted and on jack stand so to work under the hood last night I needed to have steep ladder. :roll:

Then the trans is a Peugeot BA-10 and you'll need to fashion a square drive to remove the plugs. Most guys take an old 3/8" ratchet extension and grind it down to fit snug. If I remember right they are both on the passenger side of the trans.

I just did mine. 2wd, but the fill is definitely on the pass side. And for me the drain is at the rear of the housing. Fill and Drain take an 8mm square key. I opted to use a piece of 5/16th aluminum stock at the hardware store instead of the 3/8ths extension. THe stock was about 2 dollars. I filled it down until it fit the plug (not much). Then I put it in a vice and bent it into a "L" shape like an allen key. Works awesome.

• 4 weeks later...
I opted to use a piece of 5/16th aluminum stock at the hardware store instead THe stock was about 2 dollars. I filled it down until it fit the plug (not much). Then I put it in a vice and bent it into a "L" shape like an allen key. Works awesome.

Ok here is the deal guys I found the square plug on the back of the tranny and made my square tool out of 5/16 square stock for less than $2 jamminz.gif Like UNL1MTD said

So I drain the fluid and now I am ready to refill the tranny and I am looking for this square plug on the passenger side of the drain. Now there is 3 of them, one in the front, one toward the back and on top of the one in the back there is one more for a total of 3 so which one is the fill plug. My thought is the very top plug on the passenger side of the tranny is this right????

Don't know for sure which it is, but for future reference it is always a wise idea to make sure you can get the fill plug out of the trans before you drain the fluid.. :D

i can get it out i just did not want to over fill it or under fill it and yes next time i will make sure i do that i can alway add oil from the top.

Don't know for sure which it is, but for future reference it is always a wise idea to make sure you can get the fill plug out of the trans before you drain the fluid.. :D

i can get it out i just did not want to over fill it or under fill it and yes next time i will make sure i do that i can alway add oil from the top.

the plug I used on my transmission is the furthest forward on the tranny close to the bell housing. I could get just under 2qts of fluid in it using this plug.

Rokhound - If you go back to the previous page on this topic, I think you'll find the info your looking for.

The filler plug in in the rear, middle of the case, on the passenger side, and it takes 4.5 pints of 80W90 oil, 2 and 1/2 quarts.