what shocks should i get?

It's time to start redoing the suspension on y truck. ive already decided that i'm going to get the hells creek metric ton leaf packs and v8 variable rate zj coils. I'm not planning on a lift any bigger than what the leaves and coils give me and then 31's. The truck is going to continue to be my daily driver with maybe the occasional light wheeling so what does everyone recommend for shocks?

I have a similar ongoing discussion with Don. Here's his list of choices. I'm planning to pick up the 60046 fronts and N30 rears. My outstanding question is whether I should get the light load 60046 shocks or heavy load since I'm adding a winch mount and winch which will add about 100 pounds to the front end. I haven't decided on rear leafs between HC or GS.

From Don:

GS MT springs on the rear, OME 930 coils up front (~2"-3" lift)

Front Shocks: (In order of my preference)

OME Nitrocharger Sport 60046 Light Load (13.15"- 22.24")

OME Nitrocharger N35 (13.70"-22.36")

OME Nitrocharger N39, (13.46 - 22.13)

Rear Shocks: (In order of my preference)

OME Nitrocharger N40L (15.6"-25.8") (ZJ shock, hard to find)
OME Nitrocharger N30 (14.4"-24.3")* (96-05 Nissan Terrano R20)

OME Nitrocharger N95 (14.13" - 23.58") (Toyota Land Cruiser)

I don't think any other coil spring or shock compares to ARB / OME products. Of course, I haven't tried them all, but tried quite a few.

Does anyone have any experience with Rubicon Express RXJ703? They are the 3-3.5" shocks for the TJ, which should be about 2-2.5" on an XJ/MJ and should work nicely with the CC784 ZJ Upcountry springs I've ordered.

Front: (TJ 3.5") RXJ703B Collapsed: 14.9 - Extended: 23.5: 19.2 center

Rear: (ZJ 3.5") RXJ802B Collapsed: 16.1 - Extended: 26.1 21.1 center

I think these compare pretty closely with Don's top recommendations from OME

OME Nitrocharger N35 (13.70"-22.36") Collapsed 13.7 - Extended 22.36: 18.03 center

OME Nitrocharger N40L (15.6"-25.8") (ZJ shock, hard to find) 20.7 center

I just got off the phone with TR from OME.

For the rear: The standard duty spring height MJ calls for a N65, the longer of which is the N95, which has been replaced by Sportshock # 60032, Collapsed: 14.13 - Extended: 23.58 18.85 center

For the front he recommends the 60052 which replaced the N35, similar dimensions: Collapsed 13.54 - Extended 22.24.  17.89

Using these numbers as new recommendations, I'm beginning to shy away from the Rubicon Express choices for being too long.

This may sound crazy but depending what your shooting for if its soft and smooth go with the cheapest shock available to you may not last as long but a lot more soft. I personally have bilsteins a lot stiffer then the monroes that came off.

You will have a much better ride and more reliable with the ome, bilstein or other quality shock vs re

The RE mono tubes I just bought for my ZJ are made by Bilstein. I have only had them on the road once since it is winter, but I really liked the ride. They seem to be a little on the soft side.

I went with Bilsteins 5150's all around, they're a lot stiffer than my old monroe sensatrack's which I like a lot. if you order them from Iron Rock Offroad, you can Email Kolak@aol.com and get a decent deal, usually 10% off, I got mine before the end of the year with 20% off :)

I've got 5165s with stiffer valving on the front and they are perfect. I have no complaints highway or otherwise. I have (or will have when they arrive) 5125s on the back with a softer valving because of the lack of weight. I'm assuming they should be perfect..

• 7 months later...

It's time to start redoing the suspension on y truck. ive already decided that i'm going to get the hells creek metric ton leaf packs and v8 variable rate zj coils. I'm not planning on a lift any bigger than what the leaves and coils give me and then 31's. The truck is going to continue to be my daily driver with maybe the occasional light wheeling so what does everyone recommend for shocks?

Jim,

What did you end up installing? I finally got around to putting my parts in: V8 ZJ Upcountry Coils (CC784), Bilstein Shocks, WJ LCA, and new sway bar links (stock length).

I've put about 100 miles on it since the install but I'm not sure what I think of the ride.

The front is definitely a lot more stable and I'm not getting thrown around on a bumpy road like I used to. Also alot less squeaking (mainly due to my formerly busted sway bar link)

The steering feels very light, like I'm riding high in my suspension(which I guess I am with these beefier springs). I don't feel as planted to the ground as I used to

This install raised my front to right at 20" from center of front hub to bottom of factory flare, which I think is about 2" of lift and it makes the front dead level with the rear.

I am still riding on the stock shocks which may be affecting my perception of the ride with the soft rear and stiff front. I'm leaning towards a set of shackles for 1" and a set of matching bilsteins.

Then I just have to replace the front/rear axles, replace the leaking ba10 transmission, rewire the interior for lighting, and fix the a/c.

I currently have a 20 month old. I am aiming to have all this done by his 16th birthday.

Maybe that is ambitious. 

• 3 weeks later...

I never did get shocks. I got stationed in japan for two years so the project is kinda on the back burner. I'm slowly ordering all my parts to finish my build (well it will never be finished). Still havent decided on shocks. been doing alot of research latley.

"... for meow."   Hahahaha   Stupid auto-correct.  :)

I'm a shock snob.  I've gone through several sets of shocks on my TJ in the last year trying to find a decent ride, and I'll give you my experience:

I started with OME Nitrocharger Sport shocks becasue they discontinued the old normal Nitrochargers, which came in "comfort" and normal (HD).  (I REALLY wanted the comfort shocks!!!!)

They sucked unless I loaded 500lbs into the jeep.  Then they rode OK in the rear, but the front was still pretty stiff.  

I found a set of gently used front N66 shocks in the old style.  (Not N66C "comfort".)  They're a tiny bit softer, but not enough to make me happy.  OME seems to have fairly firm compression damping compared to most other shocks.  That does NOT help the ride quality, but keeps you from bottoming out as much with softer springs.   (OME TJ springs are as soft or softer than the factory springs, so their shocks may ride better with their soft springs, but I'm running V8 ZJ springs, so I need less compressin damping...)

I read that Skyjacker Hydro shocks were "too soft" in a lot of online reviews.  Great, that's probably what I want!!!  Ordered up a set of H7018/H7016's.  Put them on.   They ride almost exactly the same as the OME shocks.  Compression damping is a bit softer, but rebound is as stiff, or even slightly stiffer, so the overall ride is about the same offroad, and on-road is slightly better.   (Note: these are a great cheap alternative ot OME if your Jeep is heavier than stock!)

Finally, after putting some replacement Bilstein 4600's on my truck and LOVING them, and riding in a TJ with 5100's that rode really nice, I ordered up a set of Bilstein's for a 2-3" lifted XJ.  (24-185622 / 24-185639, which have the same extended/compressed length as OME and Skyjacker shocks above.)  I'd rate them as having a slightly better ride on-road, and they work fairly well when driven hard, but the low speed damping is still WAY too stiff for comfortable trail speeds over rougher trails.  To show how stiff the low speed damping is, I am currently driving around with my sway bar disconnected and I can't really tell.  Very disappointing.  I just want a decent ride on rougher trails at lower speeds.  And I haven't found it yet.  :(   

I'm honestly not sure where to go at this point.  I'm fairly disappointed becuase the Bilstein TJ damping for 3-4" 5150's is much softer, and I was hoping the XJ shocks would ride similarly soft, and be the length I needed.  (Bilstein offers shocks for TJ for "stock" height, which are actually WAY too short even for a stock TJ, and 3-4" lifted, which are too long for a TJ with only 2" of lift like mine.  The XJ shocks are the perfect length for a 1-2" lifted TJ...)  Given that my TJ is a bit heavier than most XJ's, at 4000lbs, I thought I'd found the ticket.   Instead what I have proven is that most of the aftermarket offroad shocks are horribly stiff, and most people somehow think that's how it should be.    I'm evidently not one of those people.

I'm heading to SEMA in a few weeks, and I'll be visiting the Bilstein booth to discuss this with someone there.   So disappointed I can't find a decent riding shock for my non-skidplate/bumpers/sliders/corners/+ other heavy junk equipped TJ.