Are all year cabs the same?

As the title suggests I was wondering if there were any changes to the cabs thru production?I have a 91 short bed 4x4 but the floors are gone as are the rockers.I just bought  a 86 that has a pristine cab and rockers and very little rust on the floors easier to patch anyway.If the cabs are the same it would be way easier to swap the dash to the new cab rather than cutting and welding rockers and such.Thanks guys.

Also anyone need a very nice no rust long bed for there project...

The 86 will have a different firewall and radiator support. There may be more but that's all that comes to mind right now. Are you wanting to just drive the 86 as it is or are you wanting to swap your 91 parts over to it?

With that said, I think 87-92 shells are the same.

The body on the 86 is super clean but has a very tired 2.5 and transfer case issues.I got it cheap just for the rockers and cab corners I guess its time to start cutting.or what is different on the firewall?radiator support don't matter just want to swap cabs if possible

Since the 86 never had the I6 engine, the radiator support and firewall matters very much if you are swapping in the 4.0 engine because of firewall clearance issues and the rectangular radiator required. It's been done, but it's far from bolt-in.

You can't just swap cabs. The MJ is unibody which means the cab, frame, and floor pan are all one unit. Your options are either to swap all the good '91 parts to the '86 shell (not easy), fix the '91, or find a truck in the condition that you want.

You could always just swap a good 2.5 into the '86 if it has a pristine body but dying engine.

The body on the 86 is super clean but has a very tired 2.5 and transfer case issues.I got it cheap just for the rockers and cab corners I guess its time to start cutting.or what is different on the firewall?radiator support don't matter just want to swap cabs if possible

Why are you going to chop up a perfectly good truck?

We are running out of them.

Save it for someone else.

Just to clarify I am building the 91 not the 86 I bought it for $150 just for the body panels.The drive train is pretty much crap I will salvage as much as I can. I tried to sell it nobody wants the whole thing.The only calls I got were for the bed.I was just thinking it might be easier to swap cabs,guess not but thank you guys for your help!

You can't just swap cabs. The MJ is unibody. The only way you can do it is to swap your entire '91 drive train over to the '86 body -- and that's where you encounter the problem of the '86 firewall not being designed to accept the in-line, 6-cylinder 4.0L engine.

wow I have been around full size trucks to long,did not realize it would be that much work.

Unibody. With a full-size truck that sits on a full frame, you can just remove a few cab mounting bolts and pick it up. Unibody doesn't work that way.

I would transplant the 4.0 stuff into the solid body.  but that's just me.  a big hammer will clear the firewall, and you have a complete truck to steal the radiator mount area and hood.  It's been done before.

Precisely.

Even if he had to pay $2-300 for a body shop to professionally cut and patch his firewall for clearance......that's a hell of a lot less work and hassle than chopping out rails and floor pans..etc......and moving it to the rust bucket.

I just question the thought processes of some................

Except I do not want to build a long bed.The 86 while having an excellent body has nothing else of value.A tired 2.5 a pukegoat D35 and disco 30 not ideal.My 91 is a short bed Auto,4.0 with D44.Also its not a rust bucket just the drivers rocker and corner and the floor.I was thinking that swapping cabs would keep both complete.But I obviously did not understand the unibody thing.I don't want to cut it up,I actually saved it from the crusher.