Front Coil Spring Bump Stops

Quick question. My front bump stops are about rotted away. If I jack it up, pull the shock, and let the suspension hang, is there enought room between the spring coils to get the old bump stop out and insert the new one? Have OME 2" lift coils on the front and do not want to pull them out if I don't have to. Thanks Guys.

My friend and I squeezed in 5.5" lift coils without a spring compressor. You might have to dosconnect the steering, and a sway bar along with the shock to make it droop enough.

Dayem - how did you do that?? I had a beetch of a time WITH compressors getting the 2" OME coils in. All I need to do is unscrew the old bump stops out and remove the stops through the coil gaps and reverse the procedure w. the new ones. I think I can w/o taking out the springs, but just curious if anyone has done it this way. Should have replaced the stops when I replaced the springs, but I was a bonehead that day...........

I think back to the original question- unscrew the bump stops with a pipe wrench put in between the coils, when it drops out inside the spring then you can either stretch one of the coil spaces enough to get it through or drop it out the bottom by removing the spring retainer. I usually just drop the axle to widen all the spring gaps and push one of the mid coils wider to get it through (having forgot on occasion to put 'em in the spring before installing)

I do NOT recommend EVER FORCING a coil spring.. Have you seen what these things can do?!

Bottle jack trick works great! :thumbsup:

I'm not talking about forcing a spring into or out of position, I'm only talking about spreading two adjacent coils far enough apart to slide a bump stop between them. With the frame on a jack stand and the axle drooping, it shouldn't require much "persuasion" at all.

Yes, I have seen what a coil spring can do.

• 2 weeks later...

Well, got the new front bump stops in, but it was more difficult than I thought. My coils are OME, and have 11 wraps. Even disconnecting the sway and jacking the frame up, only had about 1" between the wraps. So I cut a tapered wedge out of a 2x4, drove it in between two of the lower coils, and was able to persuade the coil wrap (w. the assistance of another 2x2) just enough to remove the old and insert the new bump stop.

Since the addition of drop brackets...I think I could fit a 10" lifted coil in with out a compressor!!!

Yeah, I can see that CW. What's that tierod you have in there? Looks like very stout aluminum?? Or just camera flash off a new aftermarket one?

They are not alum at all, they are meerly painted to look like alumin.

They are JCR's 1 ton steering conversion. jamminz.gif

BTW, next time unbolt the TB as well. It will droop until the UCA contacts the lower shock perch. This is usually enough to install and remove up to a 3" coil with out a compressor.

CW