KJ won't crank. the dash just beeps at me when I turn the key

Pete M

06 CRD Libby.  ran fine yesterday. suddenly it won't crank.  the dash lights flash and it beeps at me.  thought it was a dead battery, but getting a jump and charging the battery has not changed anything.  bypassing the starter relay just results in a feint clicking sound in the engine bay.  no bad fuses that I can find.  battery shows 12.8 volts.  have run out of ideas.  :fs1:

bad optima.  went out and checked voltage drop when I bypass the starter relay and it drops to next to nothing.  finally got my spare batt charged and installed and the jeep fires right up.  yay?  still not sure why I couldn't get it to start with the jumper cables.  but that's another problem for another day.

oh, and just in case anyone thought I was free and clear, now the keyfob won't work at all.  wtf.

KJ will NOT start with a dead cell battery, jumped or not.  continuity to the ECM, PCM, TCM won't allow them to communicate.

as for the radio, check fuses in dash (pull driver's side panel off dash @ door jamb).  the listing for order, as you know, will be in the owner's manual.

fuse is good. more weird things to report. the locks only work with the key on. the rear window doesn't work at all. and the gauges dance from left to right and back again each time the key is turned.

it's haunted fer sure.

fuse is good. more weird things to report. the locks only work with the key on. the rear window doesn't work at all. and the gauges dance from left to right and back again each time the key is turned.

it's haunted fer sure.

Clean the hell out of the battery terminals and battery posts with some light sand paper until they are shiny then retighten the terminals. I had the same crazy gauges issue with my LJ. The PCMs from that generation will get stuck in a reboot loop due to voltage drop while the PCM is booting. Basically, the PCM boots which causes a sudden voltage drop due to bad connection, shut off, and then get power back as the voltage comes back up then automatically rebooting since the PCM is attempting to fail safely.

Incidentally that PCM reboot loop issue is also what killed my last battery since it started doing it while I was at work all day.

no need. the haunted-ness was of my own doing.  After pulling out just about every fuse back when it wouldn't start, a couple fuses in the interior fuse panel (a pair joined together in a weird contraption) weren't pushed in all the way. :doh:   it's all good meow.  :D  whew.   was a bit worried there.  :thwak:

either way the spare battery is only temporary. :yes: