shipping a car from MI to GA

Pete M

can't seem to find that thread about vehicular shipping companies so I guess I'll start another.  who have you used and how did it go?  we need to get he camaro to GA and I'm not really keen on another uhaul trip.  the MJ was enough fun for me.

Yeah beat me to it.  U-ship.  Haven't been on the ordering end of u-ship but on the sending end.  It took about two months to find someone who's route corresponded with a GA-WI route.  So all I can say is be patient.  Most of the shippers are looking for something to fill up the return route so they're not hauling empty on the way home, or something else to add on a route they're already booked for.

I used UShip to ship my camper from California to Georgia. Be careful with some of the shippers. They will not show up on time or if at all. Make sure you read their feed back. You are looking at $800-$1200 depending on if it runs, lifted and height.

Please Pete read their feed back. I was burned twice and almost had to leave my camper in California because they were not showing up.

it's a bone-stock, running  camaro so it should be as good a price as any.  looks like 6-800 based on the insta-quotes.  I think dad will be pleased with that.  between trailer rental and diesel, doing it ourselves could easily match that (plus the aforementioned 24 hours of driving).   excellent :D

I (accidentally) got my truck on EBay a couple yearas ago.  Used U-Ship (i think) to post getting the truck from SW Missouri to Detroit.  Got a lot of calls from truckers and brokers, went with Kim from Zip-Ship, she was pretty aggressive and took care of me well.  Placed the order Friday night and had the truck by Tuesday afternoon, really couldn't have gone any better.

I (accidentally) got my truck on EBay a couple yearas ago.  Used U-Ship (i think) to post getting the truck from SW Missouri to Detroit.  Got a lot of calls from truckers and brokers, went with Kim from Zip-Ship, she was pretty aggressive and took care of me well.  Placed the order Friday night and had the truck by Tuesday afternoon, really couldn't have gone any better.

So you accidentally bought your MJ on Ebay, then think you used U-Ship to deliver it. Huh?

Pete, I've used UShip for a few motorcycle transfers in and out, and all of them went well. Of course bikes are easier to ship, but the following applies to all. When you place your ad and the bids start coming in, read the feedback, correspond with the shipper off-line, ask your questions, and it's pretty easy to see where the BS is and where the reliability is. U-Ship is kind of a crap shoot, but the longtime shippers on U-Ship remain there for a reason. They get the job done a lot cheaper than the commercial outfits. .

So you accidentally bought your MJ on Ebay, then think you used U-Ship to deliver it. Huh?

Pete, I've used UShip for a few motorcycle transfers in and out, and all of them went well. Of course bikes are easier to ship, but the following applies to all. When you place your ad and the bids start coming in, read the feedback, correspond with the shipper off-line, ask your questions, and it's pretty easy to see where the BS is and where the reliability is. U-Ship is kind of a crap shoot, but the longtime shippers on U-Ship remain there for a reason. They get the job done a lot cheaper than the commercial outfits. .

Yaaay, you can read!  Yaaaay

Aww, nuts.  Looks like I've exposed myself as an A-hole.  Apologies for the attitude Hornbrod and doing it in your posting Pete.

Here's how I accidentally bought a car on EBay.  I had been cruising the internet for a couple months looking for a Comanche when I came across 2 promising 1991's in Missouri.  One was red from a private seller on craigslist - contacted him a couple times and asked for more pics.  The other was a white LWB 4X4 one owner vehicle with no rust.  I was certain that white one was going to go for over 5 or 6K (a couple others had done so around that time).  I put a bid in just to prove to myself I was serious and was immediately outbid.  The next day, before work, I put another bid in, was more than I wanted to spend but was no big deal because I was certain this truck was going to sell for well over my max bid.  When I got home I saw the auction had ended, bidding had stopped $15 below my max and I now had to figure out how to get a truck from SW MO to Michigan.  The kicker is that I hadn't checked my e-mail and before I put those bids in, the red MJ owner had sent 30 pics of his truck and other than paint, it looked great, definitely would have bought that one instead.  (ended up in the registry under member name Fitzworld).

The truck I got was not what I was expecting:  lots of backyard body work and the mechanicals hadn't been maintained for at least 5 yrs.  Long story short - if you're used to $30 auctions on EBay, don't apply those tactics in $4K auctions.

Its my DD now and just like Spiderman - I love driving my MJ

No worries. I just never heard of anyone accidentally buying an MJ on Ebay and wondered how you managed to do that. And kudos to you for completing the Ebay transaction even though it wasn't your first choice.  :thumbsup:

Don't feel alone Rochester, I accidentally bought a 96 XJ from IAAI auction back in May. Put in a prebid of $350 and didn't check back until two days after auction, much to my surprise my account showed "Vehicles you need to pay for = 1". Had been watching their online auctions for 3 months and never saw a single XJ go for less than $800 - lucky me. Ending up being $650 with fees and delivery plus a large surge in the wife's blood pressure.

Since then I've parted it out for $835 and I'm keeping the 8.25 29 spline 4:10 for my MJ. We jokingly called it the Oopsmobile.

So to Hornbrod's question "how do you accidentally buy a vehicle?" My answer is "be a little ADHD and have a good internet connection"

• 3 months later...

I imagine the cost will reflect the trip.  LA to UT has a few mountains in the way.  the Camaro's trip is about 750 miles and costing us all-in less than 700 (which is about what it would cost me in diesel and trailer rental to fetch the car myself).  with some negotiating and patience II bet I could have gotten it shipped for around 600 all-in, but beating winter was more important to us than saving a few bucks.