Are There Any Chrysler 8.25 Differential Differences?

My local junk yard is having a 50% off sale this weekend, are there any differences other than the spline count and brake set up on the chrysler 8.25 rear that I should be aware of? is the "flat bottom" the only way to identify these diffs? thanks.

Pretty much and the rubber refill hole plug...just look for 97+ 8.25s for 29 spline as the 96- are 27spline....

96 was the changeover year. Late 96 was 29 spline, but the only way to tell which axle if it's a 96 is to pull a shaft and count.

Don't go by spline count alone. It doesn't really tell you much.

The Dana 35 had 1.18" shafts and 27 splines. The early 8.25 axles had 1.17" shafts and 27 splines. The ring gear is larger than the Dana 35, but that's not where most Dana 35s fail. If you go strictly by shaft diameter and spline count, the Dana 35 should be stronger than the early 8.25.

The later 8.25 has 1.21" shafts and 29 splines. For comparison, the Dana 44 has 1.31" shafts and 30 splines.

I don't think a kj 8.25 is the same width and it has coils rather than leaves. But the brake backing plates do swap to the xj 8.25

JKs are 65" WMS IIRC.........at any rate they are way too wide.

The KJ is virtually the same at 60" wms-wms. The JK is a completely different jeep and never used the 8.25. The difference between the KJ & late XJ 8.25 is the suspension mounts and they have to be removed anyway. The axle in the KK was the "corporate 210mm." While I believe that this is a new designation for the corporate 8.25 I have not confirmed that or whether there are internal differences

My mother has a 2002 Liberty, I measured the rear axle (WMS) about a year and a half ago when I did brakes on it, I remember it being too wide.

I've scoured the net for some proof, all kinds of numbers out there........I need to measure again........

But here-

Specs for my Currie RockJock 60---

65" WMS to WMS
35 spline axles
ARB airlocker
5.13 gears
12.5" Wilwood brakes with internal parking brake
380 lbs

http://www.jeepkj.com/forum/f196/bye-bye-8-25-a-34820/

My mother has a 2002 Liberty, I measured the rear axle (WMS) about a year and a half ago when I did brakes on it, I remember it being too wide.

I've scoured the net for some proof, all kinds of numbers out there........I need to measure again........

But here-

Specs for my Currie RockJock 60---

65" WMS to WMS

35 spline axles

ARB airlocker

5.13 gears

12.5" Wilwood brakes with internal parking brake

380 lbs

http://www.jeepkj.com/forum/f196/bye-bye-8-25-a-34820/

Your link is for a guy who did a solid front axle swap with a custom Dana 60 rear axle to match his custom Dana 60 front axle neither of which is in any way stock. When making such a heavily modified rig you can spec your axles pretty much how you want. This would be about like swapping full-sized Ford axles under an MJ and then saying that all MJ axles are 67.5" wide because they are 67.5" under that MJ. The KJ 8.25 is 60". It has also been swapped into numerous XJ's as an alternative disc-brake equipped upgrade for the D35. The numbers you find on the 'net may change very slightly due mainly to people not using the same thing as the "wheel mounting surface" but not by 5". The JK is 65" and is noticeably wider than a KJ's axle. The track width of the front of a Liberty is about 62" at ride height. As it is IFS that measurement actually can change as the suspension cycles where it will not for a solid axle.