Un-Doing A Xj Soa Swap. Need Some Help.

Hey gang. I'm having a bit of a boggle and I need some advice. I've tried searching but it seems that I can't find exactly the kernel of knowledge that I need. Here it is:

I recently purchased a beat-up 2WD MJ from some amateur off-road guys that had a roughly done XJ SOA swap. They never got around to lifting the front.
I want to lower it back down to stock height. I was just going to pick up a MJ rear end from the local JY until I got to thinking about how great it was to idle down the highway at 1500 RPM with the XJ ratio.
So I want to keep the current axle in there if I can. Also, I'm broke and I want to be able to drive this thing around and let the missus use our current '99 XJ exclusively.
The question is what would the best way be to do it?
This may sound dumb, but can I just take the axle out and flip it over, then slide it back in over-axle? (probably not: pinion angle)

Here's what we're looking at:

I'm ok with grinding and welding on new perches but I'm hoping that I can just flip this mofo over and slide in on top of the springs, then mount the shock brackets on the underside.
XJ shock brackets gets ground off.
Yes or no??
Also, Where's the good spot to buy spring perches if I need em? Rusty's?
Thanks for reading and please help me out!!

UPDATE EDIT: I ENDED UP SOURCING A D44 AND METRIC TON SPRINGS AND SWAPPING THAT IN.

Also here's a link to my build thread:
http://comancheclub.com/topic/42813-project-sipsey-88-pioneer-long-bed/

I just did the same thing. But I got a different MJ D44 and put that in.

No you can't just flip it and run it. You'll have to cut off the perches and weld new ones in the proper position. Just be aware that SUA perches are shorter than SOA perches. There are some companies that sell specific SUA perches. I think that Ruffstuff does.

Thanks. The perches are shorter why? Axle wrap?

Edit- duh. Less room because it's on the inside of an arc.

And I'm guessing i can reuse the shock brackets that are u-bolted on already.

I'll order up the Ruffstuff perches and let you know how it comes out.

Cheers!

Wait- I just realized something.

Don't XJ and MJ spring perches have different spacing? If so- how does the XJ axle fit in my MJ with no modifications?

The perches on there now appear to be factory and theres no evidence of a previous position.

Leaves arent bound and they sit square on the perches.

Wait- I just realized something.

Don't XJ and MJ spring perches have different spacing? If so- how does the XJ axle fit in my MJ with no modifications?

The perches on there now appear to be factory and theres no evidence of a previous position.

Leaves arent bound and they sit square on the perches.

Maybe who ever did the fab work on the axle took pride in his work and did a good job..... :dunno:

Flipping the axle over would result in the truck moving backwards while in Drive, or forwards while in reverse. Along with oiling issues of the gears.

The spacing is different. Not by a whole lot, but enough. It is quite possible the perches were moved, but well enough to look factory. Also, going back to SUA, one or both of the XJ shock mounts might be in the way and may need cut off.

The shock mounts on the u bolt plates are the stock Comanche ones.

Flipping the axle over would result in the truck moving backwards while in Drive

Rightly so. I should have specified that i'm talking about taking it apart and flipping the housing and slipping everything back together. 

Seems hair-brained now, but it just looks hideous with so much rake.

edit- I was also imagining having to swap the drums around so they stayed upright.

ahhhhh--- the power of imagination.

dammit.

imagination2.jpg

If youre looking for a daily driver, and not off roading it, the Dana 35 will be fine. They have lived under my truck for over 300,000 miles with no issue, but also no offroad. If the gearing in that axle will work for you, it might be just what you need to make for an easy swap.

If youre looking for a daily driver, and not off roading it, the Dana 35 will be fine. They have lived under my truck for over 300,000 miles with no issue, but also no offroad. If the gearing in that axle will work for you, it might be just what you need to make for an easy swap.

x2

from reading your original post......and fyi.....the D35 is enough  for what you looking for ......

The D35 is a decent axle. Hell, I ran one under my ZJ for a year with 32's and a 4.6 stroker under my ZJ and gave it to a buddy when I did my 8.8 swap. He's still running it under HIS ZJ with 33's and heavy use of the skinny pedal.

• 2 weeks later...

Are you sure they are mt springs? Looking at the pics it looks like a 3/1 pack with a helper spring installed on top likely because they were overloaded at some point in the past.

When did anyone say they were MT springs? Unless it was edited out...........

Saw the update in the first post saying he found a d44 and metric ton springs. Just didn't want him to inadvertently overload them thinking they had a higher payload.

Yep - missed that. Good advice.  :cheers:   The helpers sure don't make them MT springs. 

It came out of a 88 4WD LWB with the stock towing mirrors-- so I figured the presence of a D44, extra springs and larger drums made it a legit MT.

Am I wrong?

I'll take some pics and grab the VIN next time I'm at the JY.

edit-- ps I want to buy the doors. Haters gonna hate.