"moonshine" Recipes

92tanMJ

Moonshine is illegal here in the US so I'm sure the mods would rather us not talk about it here.

So everclear is the next best thing...It's legal and you can get in 190 proof- I doubt 5% is going to make or break anyone.

I know a few other people here like to drink and I was just wondering if anyone hand any other recipes..

I thought I would just share the one's I had. So here's the recipes me and girfriend used:

Cherry Pie Moonshine - (made 7 - 1 pint mason jarswith a half batch)

Ingredients

2 32 ounce jars all cherry juice
    2 cans tart cherries in heavy syrup
    1/2 cup white sugar
    1 liter bottle everclear

Instructions

In a large saucepan, bring all ingredients but everclear to a boil for 10 minutes.
    Stir to make sure sugar completely dissolves, remove from heat.
    Let cool.
    Pour in Everclear.
    Pour into sterilized mason jars.
    Can be consumed immediately, but gets better after time. 2+ weeks is ideal!

Peach Pie Moonshine - (made 8 - 1 pint mason jars with a half batch)

Ingredients

2 1 lb cans of sliced peaches in heavy syrup, do not drain
    2 64 oz bottles white grape peach juice
    2 tbsp cinnamon
    750 ml bottle everclear

Instructions

Add all ingredients but everclear into a large stockpot.
    Bring to a boil and stir often for 5 minutes.
    Remove from heat, cover, and let cool completely.
    Add everclear.
    Pour into mason jars (I like to keep the peaches in- it gives more flavor and sweetness without additional sugar in the recipe.) Since it can be hard to pour peaches into a jar without spilling liquid everywhere, I usually fill only 3/4 of the jar full and spoon the peaches in after.
    Store in a cool, dark place for over 2 weeks to continue to develop flavor.
   Mixing with tonic, soda, lemonade is delicious and helps to not overserve.

As of the day we made it I thought the cherry was very very good and the peach was eh. She was oposite of me. However, I could have called that from the begaining because I really wanted to make the cherry and not the peach and vise versa. So we made both with one fifth of everclear- just cut the ingrediants in half.

Here is a price break down for the major stuff:

750 ML Everclear 190- $20 liquor barn

(2) x12 1 Pint mason jars- $7 each pack Walmart

8 Quart pot (can do a full batch later with it)- $8 Walmart

Everything else was just a few bucks..it costs about ~6 bucks in ingredients to make each one.

All said and done we spent <$50 bucks.

ProTip...when youre at walmart pick up a 75c oil funnle. Best idea I've had all month. It was super easy to funnle the moonshine directly into the jars from the pot.

I'll repost back this weekend to let everyone know how much it "mellows out" in just a week, then in two. :waving:

-Zack

Here just some photos of it...

Image Not Found

Image Not Found

Image Not Found

Image Not Found

how they taste? thats the big thing cause ive had some of the everclear shine and it aint been near as good as legit corn mash shine
:cheers:

Well I can't say I've ever had real corn mash...but I really liked the cherry and my girlfriend really liked the peach. But both were very good IMO for a first try. I'm really looking for maybe a watermellon reciepe and maybe blackberry? Although I will probably try my hand at apple next

Moonshine is illegal here in the US...

Really depends on what state you're in along with how much is produced per year. Selling is where things get dicey. :peek:

Oh really? I've thought about it and wanted to try a mini still. So I was googleing it and everyhting I found said it was a no-no

ive had the true corn mash but thats cause i know a few people that have some stashed away

the liquor stores around where i live have legal shine  for example Popcorn Sutton white Ol Smokey (flavored and white) Kentucky Moon just for a few 

ive had the true corn mash but thats cause i know a few people that have some stashed away

the liquor stores around where i live have legal shine  for example Popcorn Sutton white Ol Smokey (flavored and white) Kentucky Moon just for a few 

Yeah we have those as well as firefly but it was flavored and Everclear had the best ABV for the price. And I didn't see the point of adding flavored shine to flavoring ya know? lol You'd be at like 6% ABV  lol and I'd rather just drink beer then, ya know?

the store shine is crap anyway

the best shine ive had to date is butterscotch shine

Butterscott huh? Was it sold like that or did someone make it?

Father in law had a still behind the corral. Haven't had any decent shine since he passed.

Sounds to me like you should pick up the art with all of your free time Jim ;)

I don't drink.........

But shine is legal, sold in stores here in E TN.

And can be shipped to you, any flavor you want.

Eh...if its moonshine it's not sold in stores. Everclear in moonshine in of its self. Everclear 190 is 95% alcohol by volume and grain alcohol- you can't get much closer to shine than that. Pretty sure its almost impossible to get to a higher ABV by distillation...So no real moonshine will have a higher alcohol concentration, but could have higher impurities. And Everclear 150 is just 190 cut down for the nanny states.

Ive been collecting recipes from some of the kids I know here at school; I now have a couple pages now in a word document. Once I clean it up some, I will post them all up. :cheers:

Dad had a still made from a stainless steel milk can.....brewed what he called "Potato Champane"....The day after you would want to spell it CHAMPAIN.....

Crazy high test stuff.....I never took the time to learn the process and years after he passed we had an auction to sell off some equipment and tools, mother wanted to include the still it the auction but the auctioneer was leary.....

I got creative and listed it in the auction manifest and ads as "Home Entertainment Unit".......it sold FAST :thumbsup:  

made

:agree:  I think youre missing the point Jeep Driver. It is not "moonshine" unless it is made in a still that does not have a tax stamp- Ie it's made by a person not a company. If its sold in the store its not moonshine. lol Ol' smokey isnt moonshine- even their white lighting is only 50% ABV. Everclear is 95% ABV. Everclear is legal moonshine- the closest thing you can get to store bought moonshine.

Dad had a still made from a stainless steel milk can.....brewed what he called "Potato Champane"....The day after you would want to spell it CHAMPAIN.....

Crazy high test stuff.....I never took the time to learn the process and years after he passed we had an auction to sell off some equipment and tools, mother wanted to include the still it the auction but the auctioneer was leary.....

I got creative and listed it in the auction manifest and ads as "Home Entertainment Unit".......it sold FAST :thumbsup:  

Lmoa that's awesome. You wouldnt have an pictures of it by chance? I'm assuming he made vodka since it has potato in the name lol

Glad this topic came up.  I'm planning on making my own still in the backyard this summer. 

Not interested in selling or doing anything illegal.  To me its just another hobby project.  I remember when I was a kid at our family reunions all the WWII vets would refer to their "high test".  They'd bring it to the reunions in mason jars.  This was in the 70s/80s and it was over my head at the time, I never knew what they meant back then, but now I wanna just make my own still in the backyard just to see if I can brew some.

Shine has come back into the popular lexicon and there's lots of flavors on the shelf here, but I can't bring myself to buy it at the liquor store, I'd rather make my own so its authentic.

I stoped buying the store "shine" i always get the stuff from straight off the mountain and jars that have no marks 

My jars from walmart have no marks :yes:

Send me a PM Country if you've got some plans/ ideas. You know, for educational purpouses. ;)

I'd like to set up a still as well, try my hand at making rye whiskey. Only difference between that and shine would be rye instead of corn, and aging it a bit. Don't know if I'll have reasonable facilities any time in the near future, though.

made

:agree:  I think youre missing the point Jeep Driver. It is not "moonshine" unless it is made in a still that does not have a tax stamp- Ie it's made by a person not a company. If its sold in the store its not moonshine. lol Ol' smokey isnt moonshine- even their white lighting is only 50% ABV. Everclear is 95% ABV. Everclear is legal moonshine- the closest thing you can get to store bought moonshine.

Lmoa that's awesome. You wouldnt have an pictures of it by chance? I'm assuming he made vodka since it has potato in the name lol

I don't have pics of his but a quick web search finds some that are very close.

http://moonshinedistiller.com/8-gallon-milk-can-distilling-boiler-stainless-steel

http://www.hillbillystills.com/milk_can_boilers_s/45.htm

And it was set up like this(The pipe was copper and the condenser was another milk jug filled with water) when it was working right you got a flow out of end that would be like turning your kitchen tap down to the point just before it would only drip....just a trickel.

A-Still-For-Water-120.png

And i should clarify that to call it vodka would be reaching....He used more than potatose in the ingrediants (corn even grains).....but there was somthing about the starch in the potatoes (i think it turned to sugar) that made the mix more potant than the other ingrediants  :dunno: I do not know the "Proof" .....the only gauge i have is this....the old guys on here will remember when they sold Coke in the small blue bottles.....one of those bottles of "Potato Champane" would be enough to get 3 good sized grown men fall down stupid.... :banana:

I'd like to set up a still as well, try my hand at making rye whiskey. Only difference between that and shine would be rye instead of corn, and aging it a bit. Don't know if I'll have reasonable facilities any time in the near future, though.

You can make stove top step ups pretty easily and cheaply. Just an idea though :dunno:

I don't have pics of his but a quick web search finds some that are very close.

http://moonshinedistiller.com/8-gallon-milk-can-distilling-boiler-stainless-steel

http://www.hillbillystills.com/milk_can_boilers_s/45.htm

And it was set up like this(The pipe was copper and the condenser was another milk jug filled with water) when it was working right you got a flow out of end that would be like turning your kitchen tap down to the point just before it would only drip....just a trickel.

A-Still-For-Water-120.png

And i should clarify that to call it vodka would be reaching....He used more than potatose in the ingrediants (corn even grains).....but there was somthing about the starch in the potatoes (i think it turned to sugar) that made the mix more potant than the other ingrediants  :dunno: I do not know the "Proof" .....the only gauge i have is this....the old guys on here will remember when they sold Coke in the small blue bottles.....one of those bottles of "Potato Champane" would be enough to get 3 good sized grown men fall down stupid.... :banana:

Lol that's awesome. I wish I could find me and old timer to me a thing or two. I dabble in the beer brewing currently but I would like to get into the white whiskey. But with the reading I jsut did there's so many parts and pieces to it. I almost don't even know where to start lol